Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question: 1st time spares cook; cut them?

500 Posts: 3,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tomorrow will be the first time I've Egged spares. Have always done Baby Backs. Have one whole spare rib. Should I cut into a St. Louis cut or leave it whole? Why or why not?

Eggheads Rock!
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i cut them into st louis. you can still cook the trimmings with them. makes for a real treat frankly.

i like to trim them for presentation and because untrimmed they are pretty big, ungainly.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    Thanks. A little Googling showed me how to trim them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_MGM_RRTUQ
    Member since 2009
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I generally cut them St Louis style. Much easier to flip around on the grill
    DSC_0202.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I love them trimmed St Louis style. You may even wind up loving spares better than BB's. ;) Watch the trimmings close because they usually come off in a couple hours. Then you will have something to snack on. I wish I had some to smoke. Have a great cook. ;)
  • I am a trimmer because I found that we I cook them untrimmed they get too greasy and it upsets my stomach.

Start by getting your sharpest knife, and sharpening it!
    Next cut the flap meat on the back, as close to the bone as you can go.
    Now get a butter knife and a paper towel and get that membrane off (I even try to remove it from the non-rib parts as well)
    Flip them over so you are looking at the "front" of the ribs and find the largest bone. Put your knife at the top of that bone and start cutting. I generally find there to be a sligh slope towards the smaller ribs so I usually do that.
    Then I cut off the last 2, sometimes 3, ribs.

Trim up the trimmings and you are all set. I was scared my first time, but I just did some trimming today for the first time in a long time and it was like riding a bike.

If you want another guide besides that youtube link, check out Third Eye's site - it helped me immensely.

Good luck, take pics

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/01/pork-spare-ribs-preparing.html
  • I'm doing the exact same thing tomorrow. I always do baby backs. Ive done 1 rack of spares but didn't trim. I got on you tube early this morning and trimmed 2 slabs St Louis style. I guess the trimmings are a snack part way through the cook.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
    Change of plans. Didn't have the time to cook them today. Rubbed and in the freezer for another day with less time commitments. Slow cooker beef stew tonight instead to watch the Steelers earn their bid for the Super Bowl.
    Member since 2009