Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Made Beef Ribs, it's a miracle....

Options
Florida Grillin Girl
Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,973
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some of you may know that I am not a rib person. But I keep seeing these beef ribs at the store, and they call to me, and I am not sure why. So I gave in yesterday and gave them a try.

The lighting of the egg, forgive me while I have my moment of eggdomeness.....ahhhh, smoke!!

P1213924.jpg

Then it started to pour rain, but I was determined to cook these ribs IN THE RAIN, under a cover, in 60 degree weather! (You people egging in snow get a gold medal!)

P1213925.jpg

Rubbed them up with some DP and tossed them on......

P1213926-1.jpg

After 5 hours and some more weather changes, and after flipping over and back, they looked like this~

P1213927.jpg

Sauced them up with SweetBabyRays-

P1223933.jpg

Closeup-

P1223935.jpg

My goodness, they were good! Now, if I could only find someone to take them off the bone for me, I would be all set.
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Faith,
    I've been thinking the same thing about beef ribs calling to me. Now you've really done it! You dod a great job on those!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    I've been sticking with the baby backs but those look gooooood!!!
  • eggboiler
    Options
    Those look awesome! What temp did you cook 'em at? Might have to try some for myself.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    The small egg was at 240 dome, and I used hickory wood chunks.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thanks, Molly! I will be making these again.

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Faith....are you feeling OK???? :laugh: :laugh: Can't believe it... :P
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Darn fine lookin bones there. Congrats on the cook. Has your perception of ribs changed any after this? :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Faith I'll be glad to take the meat as long as you don't mind me handing you back a bare bone :whistle:
    Love the beef ribs
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Bruce, I have always liked rib meat, just not eating it off of the bone. I used a knife and fork!

• 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    Cement matt under your Egg, now, please? HD/Lowes for
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Faith, those look perfect! I may have to give that a try. My last batch of baby backs were fall off the bone tender, a little over cooked, and I have been eating them with a knife and fork. They are so tender that the bone just lifts out of them with little effort. They are pretty good that way.

Keep warm my friend, I can hear the north west wind delivering our next cold front as I type and the temperature is dropping quickly. At 5:00pm almost down to 54º and the wind chill could be below freezing tonight, Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :ohmy:

Blair

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I roll the egg all around the deck out there, depending upon where the sun is hitting. Never thought about a mat under it.
    After I shut down the bottom vent for the cook, it was barely even open. Don't worry, I'll be careful.

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thanks, Blair. Ready for summer, yet? I'm not! Just ready for some normal winter temps, in the 70's.

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Faith, those look terrific. I have made them before but it has been a while. You make me want to do it again!
    Roasted about a 1/2 bushel of oysters last night. My pics turned out terrible so I won't post them. Good news is my snowbird friends, three couples, didn't eat very many, so I have another 1/2 bushel to cook. Will share with my egg/fishing buddy/neighbor and try to get better pics.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Frank, give them a try! I will look forward to your oyster post.

• Gator Bait
    Options

As long as the BIG storms stay far away I'll take our summer weather, it doesn't bring the snowbirds with it and I am rarely cold. :lol:

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    They look FANTASTIC Miss Faith.I too have had to talk myself out of buying them the last couple of times I was in the grocery.If I thought I could do half that good I would not hesitate. :)
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    those look great!!!!!

i was going to try those tomorrow for the first time, but settled on leg of lamb.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Faith, the ribs look great!! But you have GOT to suck it up with this temp thing! I would KILL for 60°!! Shorts and a T-shirt... well, shorts anyway; shirt would be optional. :laugh:

And what's with this cutting the meat off the bone thing? You gnaw at the bones til there's nothin' left! :blink: :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    Faith, the ribs look great!! But you have GOT to suck it up with this temp thing! I would KILL for 60°!! Shorts and a T-shirt... well, shorts anyway; shirt would be optional. :laugh:

+1

It was 3 degree's here last night, set to go to zero tonight. I made pizza 2 days ago when it was 7. I have to laugh (and be envious!) when I hear the complaints about temps in the 40's and such with people 'worried' about how cold it is.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Pu-lease, Hoss, as if you couldn't cook them better.... this was my first time!

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    You are kidding, Michael? Of course you are.... Cooking outside of my comfort zone of 68 to 82 degrees happens all too often, mostly at the high end, 98 or 99 degrees with a bathing suit on and dipping in the pool between taking meat temperatures. So, yeah, 60's is COOOLD!

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    3 pedals, sorry to complain about it, but it's hard for us warm weather people to have 70's one day and 30's the next. We just aren't equipped for it and don't have the clothes/coats/thermal stuff that you up north people do.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Faith, my dear, I would kill for 60° right about now. And I would be wearing shorts - at most! I am used to 15-25°. 60° would be Heaven!! Pass the down parka please... :)

Anyway, your ribs still looked great!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    Florida Grillin Girl - Funny part is, i don't 'suit up' to go outside to deal with the Egg. Takes longer to put it on than I'm outside, except for the clean out/lighting, and for that part, you get so dirty that I don't wear my nice warm coat b/c I don't want to have to get it cleaned and be without it!

Born in FL, unfortunately got moved to the snow belt at age 1.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Wow- they look delicious. I've never cooked beef ribs, no particular reason - just always choose pork. After looking at yours, I will definitely give them a try! ;)
  • Bulldog Mom
    Options
    :laugh: Those Look Grreeaattt :)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    15-25 sounds nice. 5 felt nice yesterday, actually. :P

Wind chills have been REAL low lately
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Great looking ribs Faith.
    They tend to overtrim our beef ribs up here. :(
    Will have to find some as good looking as yours :)
    Todays Egging weather is -20 :laugh:

Shane
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    They look delicious! My favorite part of a standing rib roast is reheating and gnawing on the leftover ribs! 8 - ),,,