Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT? Whussat?

Options
BigBadger
BigBadger Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I keep seeing OT in post titles. Never a reference to what it means? Forgive my Newbancy but whussat mean? :huh: :huh: :huh:

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    "Off Topic"
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    When people have something they want to share that is not Egg or cooking related they post O.T. at the beginning of their post so everyone will know it is off topic before they click on that post to read it. ;) The forum started an off topic section for this but people(including myself) still post some O.T. stuff because if you post it in the O.T. section only a few will see it because a lot of people just do not look over there.
  • Hoss
    Options
    Look at the post I wrote under stikes response.It was directed at you but I put it in the wrong spot. :blush:
  • Hoss
    Options
    Below comment was meant for BigBadger.Sorry.Newbie mistake. :blush:
  • BigBadger
    Options
    Too funny :laugh: . OFF TOPIC? What topic is there to be off from?

This Entire EggheadForum is so ridiculously uncontrolled and poorly organized it actually is very funny. :laugh: :laugh: It only enforces my original belief and other Forum Feedback Post that it really could use some updating as well as moderating.

Don't get me wrong. I love this forum. Both the content and contributors are absolutely invaluable, wonderful, entertaining... really of a high caliber!

But it surprises me that Eggheads who will post photos and descriptions of each and every nuance of the 10,000th butt cook or who will go into exorbitant detail about the merits of Egging Bolongna (baloney, seriously) will not want a forum that is better organized and easier to navigate.

Forgive me, it's just my nature to at least try to be organizeder, categorizeder and efficienter.

By the way, I am not being critical... at least I hope I'm not.
  • stike
    Options
    excellent rhetorical strategy to criticize and mock everything, and then at the end say "By the way, I am not being critical"

let me know how it works out. :laugh:
  • Dreggs
    Dreggs Posts: 147
    Options
    Noooooooo. OCD? Whussat
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    dont worry, most long term members find it funny that you need to be organized categorized and very efficient to light a fire in a grill, toss some food in there, and cook it ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigBadger
    Options
    Aw... come on... it's constructive. Like offering a better way to maintain temperatures in an egg, or suggesting mustard to hold rub onto the roast.
  • BigBadger
    Options
    fishlessman wrote:
    dont worry, most long term members find it funny that you need to be organized categorized and very efficient to light a fire in a grill, toss some food in there, and cook it ;)

So says the guy with 13,000+ posts. ;)
  • stike
    Options
    when you tell us that we are "so ridiculously uncontrolled and poorly organized", it kinda doesn't start off as "constructive" in tone :laugh:

like fish says, the place never was about organization and compartmentalizing anything. i can tell you right now, if we had a blogna forum subsection, i would visit it maybe once a year. but when it pops up here on the main page, and i see a few interesting characters involved in it (without having to open the thread), i get interested, and jump in.

i won't bother with my opinion, but all i will say is that it apparently works for what i need, and it unfortunately does not seem to work for what you need.

but your assumption is that how YOU would like it to be, would be fine for everyone else. that's a big assumption.
  • BigBadger
    Options
    Thanks for answering my original post re: OT. B)
  • stike
    Options
    those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

post count doesn't equate to rehashing the same cook over and over.

sounds like you want a recipe file? i dunno.

if there is a need, some genius will create the better forum, and we will flock there.

step back, though, and try to see the place for what it IS. it's a chat room, where people coincidentally own the same grill. it's not a file cabinet of streamilined information which we diligently work at to keep up to date and at the ready for newbies to find in an instant, by passing the very reason for the forum's existence.

you want wikipedie. but the forum is more like a room where you shout out a question and you get varying answers, all of which are continuously evolving.

the is no 'one way' to do a butt.
  • BigBadger
    Options
    Hey Stike. I wasn't directing anything personal toward you or anyone and I apologize if you understood it to be that way.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    dont let the organized categorized and very efficient folks here confuse you, its pretty simple and yet some go into extreme details telling newbies what they need. truth is 99 percent of the cooks can be done plus or minus atleast 50 degrees, can be done direct or inderect, doesnt matter. i cooked on an egg over a year without a temp gage and it didnt matter, didnt know what temps i was cooking at. post counts dont matter, cooks can be done a lot of different ways, you dont need every gadget out there, you dont need specific axact tecknique, the same pan, the same stone, its very similar to cooking in an oven
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    no offense taken. just understand that the forum has existed for a loooong time, and has its own culture. every forum has its own culture.

although i don't think post count or time-in-forum means anything in the end, it generally DOES mean that that person has a handle on the culture. and so it is always somewhat humorous when a newer person joins, and very quickly begins telling us what we have been doing wrong for the past ten plus years. this is easily the most active bbq forum i know of, although i don't hang out in the weber camp. and you will not find a crowd anywhere more willing to help newcomers, or to even spend time explaining why they (we) aren't as screwed up as the occasional newcomer tries to tell us we are) :laugh:

cheers
  • fishlessman
    Options
    is this the kind of forum layout you would like to see
    http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php
    :laugh: i lose stuff in here, people get upset because i wasnt following a post i made a year back and wasnt watching for it. people go way out of there way to bash newbies, no one answers questions because no one wants any body else to learn what they know. now about the loney posts, loney posts keep the loney people happy and keep them coming back to answer newbie questions
    fukahwee maine

• BigBadger
    Options
    fishlessman wrote:
    .....its very similar to cooking in an oven

Maybe so... just better. I am so happy to have bought my first Egg last July. I've not had a single failure on it to date. I've owned and worked many restaurants over the years and adding the LBGE has added to my enjoyment of cooking.
  • BigBadger
    Options
    Actually Yes. It's easy to see where all the new posts are and within whatever sub-topic you are interested. I would always start at the main menu and go from there. I often get lost in the EggHead Forum looking for older posts. So I guess it's 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of another.
  • Fossil Frank
    Options
    How do you control where your post will appear? I just posted a bit ago and it showed up at the bottom of the thread.
    Frank from Indiana
  • stike
    Options
    you are probably in flat view. try classic view, and you'll see who is talking to who within a thread
  • Fossil Frank
    Options
    Stike I'm posting this response right as I read your advice.I'll see where it shows up.The post I posted a moment ago showed up in the right place.
    Frank from Indiana
  • Fossil Frank
    Options
    Stike I'm posting this response right as I read your advice.I'll see where it shows up.The post I posted a moment ago showed up in the right place.
    Frank from Indiana
  • Fossil Frank
    Options
    Frank from Indiana
  • Fossil Frank
    Options
    Sorry about the 3 postings. This one showed up in the right place too. How do you get the computer to show whether I'm in flat or classic view? Thanks for your help. Oops I just found the answer to my question. I'm in the classic view.
    Frank from Indiana
  • BigBadger
    Options
    Fossil Frank wrote:
    Sorry about the 3 postings. This one showed up in the right place too. How do you get the computer to show whether I'm in flat or classic view? Thanks for your help.
    Frank

Case in point. You rarely see this kind of issue with the newer software.

Fossil Frank - On the main page look up at the top of your forum screen and choose the style you find best suits your likes.
    BGE%202011-01-22_124839.jpg
  • Fossil Frank
    Options
    BigBadger I think I'm on the right track now. I don't know much about computers but I do enjoy the forum.Thanks for the help.
    Frank from Indiana
  • stike
    Options
    ok. enough with the "new software" thing why don't you find out what works instead of causing death by a thousand cuts?

case in point?: we all knew what "OT" meant. if you had posted that in the OT forum like you were supposed to (being a fan of categories and sub forums), you would have had to wait for an answer :laugh:
  • BigBadger
    Options
    Wow Stike, did I ever rile you. Relax. No other poster has been so adamantly against such a change as yourself.

Change can be good if one just looks at it objectively and assesses the benefits, if any. This only shows that we have differing opinions... and only on this one subject, so far. Is it really that important to you to keep rebuking my comments? Have I ever criticized any of your posts? No.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I get lost in the newer forums and prefer things the way they are here. Even being the computer dummy I am I had no problem for years as a lurker finding the answers to questions I had without posting. I like the description Stike made earlier "it's a chat room, where people coincidentally own the same grill"