Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket changed on Egg

Options
Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil Posts: 669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I completed the change to the Nomex Gasket tonight. Everything went well. Easy to do, but I have trouble getting bands to work properly and line-up the dome correctly. Here are some pics of the cleaned surface and new gasket. You will see the alignment issue in some of the pics.
Uncle Phil
P1000655.jpg
P1000660.jpg
P1000661.jpg
P1000669.jpg
P1000672.jpg
P1000674.jpg
P1000675.jpg

Comments

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Looks nice and neat U.P. Wish you had let me know and I would have allotted some time today and drove over to help. Nice and neat job as expected from Uncle Phil !
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Uncle Phil
    Options
    Thanks. Did you get my email to you re: Eggfest at IRB?
  • tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    Options
    My medium was offset a little bit like that too but it seems to work ok. when the gkt goes on my large I think I will go with a rutland so I don't have to take it apart.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    With the new(thicker)gaskets installed there might be a change in spacing between bands needed to alleviate the offset. Which way to move the bands is a matter of testing one way or another. To start try loosening and moving the bands a little closer together at the back, do this with the dome down and in position then re-tighten. If I was by your egg I could figure this stuff out but over the forum I'm guessing. :blink: Hopefully others will have more ideas as well and together we can get this solved.
  • Uncle Phil
    Options
    Thanks, Clay.
    I have some great ideas here and will give them a try today. Cold in Florida right not so I will have to brave 59 degree weather! Poor me.

Uncle Phil
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Geeee, that's some tuff conditions you have. But I have an advantage here, the beer is and stays ice cold automatically.
    Good luck.