Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help with a boneless chuck roast

Options
glenn
glenn Posts: 151
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am wanting to egg a boneless cuck roast (actualy 2 total weight 5.25 lbs) I usualy braise them in my cast iron dutch oven in beef broth, a little wine,and a can golden mushroom soup along with sauteed onions, celery and carrots.
This is a good way to do it but I was wondeing, can this type of roast be egged in a v rack (dry roasted) like a standing rib roast?
and if so what kinda of temps should I go for
I think that "pot"roasts are cooked much donner than rib roasts
and I do like a pot roast that flakes with a fork
but I have no clue as to how to make the gravy if I dont do the braise method.
And ofcorse in my humble opinion one must have mashed taters and gravy with his pot roast
ANy insite would be greatly appreciated
thanx
Glenn

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Glenn,
    Why not try pulled beef. Chuck is the beef shoulder, just like a pork butt. Cook it lo-n-slo until done (about 185-200) and passes the fork test. Let it rest - foiled - for 30-60 minutes (or longer), then pull like pork. IMHO, its better. Enjoy.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Glenn,
    ive been doing pulled beef from chuck roasts cut from the roll. spice mustard sugar and roast inderect over a water pan at 225 F until the internal hits 170. wrap in foil with some liguid and continue cook at 275 until internal hits about 205.wrap in a towell and put in a cooler for 1-2 hours and it falls apart.i dont know which cut you have, but the chuck roll works well for pulled beef and it makes great hash the next morning

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • glenn
    Options
    fishlessman,Can you specify the mix on the spice , mustard and sugar,
    and do you "sear" it at the beginning?
    thanx Glenn

• glenn
    Options
    Marvin,
    Does it take the same 18-20 hours at 225-250 dome
    and what kinda rub do you use?
    thanx again Glenn

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Glenn,
    i use steak seasoning, the last time it was cowlick, put it on as heavey as will stick. coat the entire thing with frenches mustard an rub it into the seasoning, cover the top only with a good amount of turbinado sugar.i put draft guiness in the pan ( canned will do, but for xmas i got a draught system). when i wrap the meat at the end of the cook i add a little seltzer water and some hot vineger sauce. i dont sear, cook just like a pork butt except for the tin foil wrap. the last i did was 7.5 pounds and it took 17 hours plus the rest

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I just cooked my first on yesterday. The same cut and slightly smaller than yours.[p]I was going to do a low-n-slow but ran out of time. Cooked until 210 (4 hours) at 300 - 350. At this temp and no liquid or foiling, about have of it was too dry.[p]I will do the next one at 235-250 and pull at 205. Probably use foil for an hour so also.[p]I just used a combination of several favorites rubs. Don't think it matters too much. The most flavor comes from putting salt/pepper (or rubs) on the meat after pulling it apart. IMHO[p]Toy Man
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Glenn,
    It takes about 1 - 1 1/2 hours per lb. at 225-250. A 6 lb chuck roast should take about 8-9 hours. I use Dizzy Pigs's cowlick for this one. Have fun.

• McFly
    McFly Posts: 9
    Options
    Reviving this old thread because I did my first low and slow with this advice and it came out great!   Thanks!