Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

\"Heuvos Diablos\"!

Options
Chubby
Chubby Posts: 2,955
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
"Huevos Diablos" this morning (and a chilly one it was)...on the Egg!!
Whats not to like...tomatos, onions, spannish chorizo, eggs...and melting cheese!!

What's not to like Compadre'?

P1090247.jpg

375 (indirect)...(up)...way up, in the dome for 10 minutes or so on a well stabilized/pre-heated egg!
I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Chubster - that really looks good. Where you been?
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Looking good elusive one. I hope your doing good. :)
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    Are those red things what you cooked them in? What are they? They look interesting. Looks like a delicious breakfast!
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    That looks really good! Can you give more info on the recipe or point to where to find one?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Add some hatch roasted hot chili's and I'm there!!
    Looks delish!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Chubby
    Options
    Although mine are red...(and in this case Italian) they are essentially just like the bowls in the link below, (glazed terra cotta)...and can be used interchangibily!

Make sure though if you purchase these anywhere that the glaze is LEAD FREE!!!

http://www.tienda.com/table/products/ca-17.html?site=1

We use them also for tapas... baking induvidual bean dishes, shrimpin olive oil, and especially french onion soup.

The Spanish call them Cazuelas.

HTH!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Chubby
    Options
    I dont have a recipe as such, but usually it resembles this...

Saute' some thinly sliced onion in olive oil until you see some color.(but not too soft)

Add as much diced Smoked Spanish Chorizo as you desire and continue to cook.., as the color and fat render out.(like bacon lardons for example)

Add a couple cloves of garlic and continue to saute'.

Drain a 28 oz can of good quality diced tomatoes...stir to combine and reduce heat to simmer, till the sauce is as thick as a heavy spahgetti sauce.

(Depending on your taste preferences, and the spiceness of the Chorizo)... add as much chili or red pepper flake as desired. We like it spicy!

Divide between two large bowls...(See post above) spoon in, and leave a well in the center.

Crack 2 eggs carefully in each well.

Cover with your choice of grated cheese...(We use Manchego) and cook 8-11 minutes, (@375) watching to see that the eggs are done to your liking.

Remember...the eggs wiii continue to cook, (carry over) when you remove so keep an eye on them till you figure out your prefered time!

Once again...many ways you could very this per your preferences!

Good luck!

Evans
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Hey compadre Chubby esos huevos se ven muy bien. Felicidades
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Awesome! I could use that...after shovelin the driveway! Been missing your posts.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    That looks like some great hang over food!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    A fantastic looking breakfast, Chubby. Thanks for sharing :)
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Now that looks like good food.
    Saw on you facebook early today but the picture was to small to see just how good it looked.
    WOW....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubby
    Options
    Well "thanks"...kind Sir!!
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Chubs, re French Onion Soup, the Cooks Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen "Best Onion Soup" is hands down the richest onion soup ever. The onions are caramelized several times for incredible depth of flavor, not just once, and I'm drooling just remembering the meals I had.

Here's a video they have of it:
    http://www.americastestkitchen.com/video/index.php?docid=24402&extcode=L1AN3AA00

I do have the written recipe.

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • Chubby
    Options
    Hey Judy...thanks!!

That/this is the recipe I've settled on, (scribbled from their magazine I saw while I was at my MOm's)...but I hadn't seen the video!!

I ended up making soup/chowder tonight! If I dont say so myself...it was PDG!!!

If you're a soup/chowder afficianado...this is one you might wanna try!! It's a rework of a recipe technique from an
    old book...but with different ingreadients.

P1150261.jpg

Onions...Shallots, Leeks, Celery, Panchetta, Baby Scallops ...in a white wine & light cream broth!

If that sounds good...i'd be willing to give a peek of the super secret recipe to you...

because you're Judy Mayberry...lol!!

;)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Thanks, Chubs! We are on the same wavelength, that's for sure.

I love a chowder but I HATE seafood, except for shrimp/prawns, so I look for versatile chowders that I can use with other things in it. If this will work, DO TELL!!!!!

Jud-alicious
    Judy in San Diego
  • Chubby
    Options
    You could drop the Scallops...to be sure!
    I like the sweetness they impart. They're just dropped in the last 10 minutes...so they cook thru,
    but don't get rubbery! I also foregot a major player..potatoes!

P1150264.jpg

It's more about the technique..that the exact ingreadients in my book).

I'll sit down, type it out...and pass it along to you this weekend.

Be on the lookout!

B)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Thanks! Saturday is my birthday so I'll call it "Chubby's Birthday Chowder" How's that for immortality!

Did you hear about that -46° in northern Minnesota? What is this world coming to?????

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Hey Compadre, where have you been? You do know there is a minimum usage requiremnt on this forum.....

Sure wish I had your heuvos diablos for breakfast this morning. Looks perfect! :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I'd love that recipe also. I'm a soup/chowda/stew lover!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE