Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adj Rig Spider DO Bean Ham Setup Advice

Options
TXTriker
TXTriker Posts: 1,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tom mentions on his site about the DO fitting the spider legs down. My large 7 qt fits the spider perfectly. I was looking back at my Bean/ham bone cook from before and I was using the plate setter. Now, if I use the Spider/Adj Rig I'm in a bind. What I did come up with is the spider, legs up with the 13 inch stone, my adj rig with the small grill at the 1.5 inch level or the first level and then I will put the DO on the grill. This is for an indirect Bean/Ham Bone cook tomorrow. This puts the DO about 3-4 inches above the pizza stone.

Do the Adj Rig/Spider experts have a better suggestion for an indirect cook? This will be in my large.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Why not just cook direct? That's what dutch ovens were made to do.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    On my large when using the 9qt DO, I have the spider with legs down ring high position and place the DO directly in the ring, just be careful that it is even and the top is not real full.
    I like to do chili this way starting around 5pm and shutting down the BGE 4-5 hours later and leave the DO in the BGE all night. Gives the chili a great flavor. Just be careful that there is plenty of liquid so it does not dry out and burn. Stir every hour or so during the cooking phase.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    You could use the spider legs up with the stone in it then the regular grid then the DO or spider legs down then stone then one of the grids from the adjustable rig right on the stone for a little heat separation then the DO on that grid, or follow the advice above, or your plan. All ways should work fine.

Doug
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    After hearing from Fidel and Richard, I'm strongly considering backing up to the spider only, leg down. That was how I had it when I first tried the large DO to check for its fit with the spider.

Yes Fidel, in scouts we did DO's direct on the coals but that was SOooo long ago...kinda forgot about those days.