Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

redgard waterproofing for showers

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,752
edited November -1 in Off Topic
going to paint the cement board with a redgard waterproofing membrane. any one use it on a plywood floor under the tiles in a bathroom, just the floor, not the shower pan floor
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Aren't the new adhesives waterproof?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    Options
    ill have to read the bag that i used to test the cork tiles last winter for the flooring, not sure if its waterproof. i wanted to seal off the tiny spider cracking in the cement board before tiling in the granite in the shower, tiny cracks from screwing it down. was looking at the floor and am thinking it couldnt hurt
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    It probably wouldn't but between your scratch coat and adhesive you would be waterproof already. I am not familiar with cork tile installation though. Are you gonna put in some heating cables? :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    Options
    no heat in the bathroom, i took it all out, pain when your heating system freezes solid anyways :laugh: the cork seems to never feel cold when you touch it
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    the red guard goes on pink then turns blood red, looked like i slaughtered a goat in there. looks like im going to have a shower soon :whistle: still have reservations about tiling upsidedown

002-14.jpg

004-12.jpg

005-6.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    nicest attic shower i have ever seen.

how many people does the shower fit?

i once had a client ask for a shower sized for three adults.

oh yeah, baby. :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    Options
    see the missing tile, i piped a line over there so i can put a quick connect hose to wash the shower down, wash the dog, fill a bucket etc. would think i could find a descent hose and spray nozzle like an outside hose nozzle, havent seen amything except the outside kind, any ideas, bathroom places just look at me like i have three heads, somebody has to make something that looks good and isnt one of those stupid plastic no pressure hand wand things people use for shower heads
    fukahwee maine

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I'd recommend using a backer board under the tile, Fish. They the waterproofer. plywood is just not a stable product if it gets wet. and lets just say we should plan on it getting wet. ;)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    was the original plan but with the old house the floors arent perfectly level which is a problem with the door swing, when the door is shut i need a 1 and 5/16 door jam so when the door swings open the bottom will just miss the flooring in side when its fully open. big door jam already to stub toes on :whistle: i did use a dryply plywood (plytanium?) though, hoping that would help some and its already higher than the adjacent room. the lit on the redguard says outdoor plywood is ok but not indoor, still debating it in my head :laugh: i did need the thick plywood to take the spongyness out of the floor
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    there are higher end handshowers

you'd need a diverter valve after the mixing valve (unless it was a whole separate mixing valve assembly)

we have a surface mounted rain head, and above the mixing valve, there's a diverter to a hand shower. polished nickel tubing to a nickel hand held shower head.

these are deck-mounted (like for a big ass tub), but the idea is the same

http://www.faucetdirect.com/index.cfm/page/search:browse/categoryID/308

here ar some wall mounts that are stand alone (not a part of your shower mixing valve, etc.)

http://faucets.efaucets.com/faucets/Wall Mount Hand Shower
  • fishlessman
    Options
    thats all ive been able to find, i just want a fancy hose nozzle, not a shower head, might just cut the shower head off the one i have and attach a nozzle to it and add a quick connect to the pipe at 90 degrees down. i want something that will wash the shower walls, not just pitterpatter some water on it :laugh: the valve i have has a mixer and diverter to use either the shower head or the wand type shower head, just flip the lever
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    did you check the links? there are hand held shower heads (3inches diameter) that are much nicer and which are like shower heads attached to a hose.

much nicer than the plastic crap.
    mine has full pressure. the shower is plumbed with 3/4 inch supply. more than twice the supply of half inch.

but even half inch would be fine with that hand held cranked wide open.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    that's another thing that the backer board will do is stiffen even more. If that floor deflects at all your tiles will be popping loose.

Just wack the bottom of the door off. :)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    a year ago we had a couple baths remodeled complete with tile work. I close these Alsons and am quite pleased with them. They have a 60" hose and are great when washing our dogs.
    IMG_2005.jpg

And then as for the ceiling I questioned hanging tile from the ceiling and the tile guy just laughed and said no problem. Of course the whole shower was lined with waterproof mortar board, taped and caulked first making it water tight.
    IMG_2003.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    Options
    :laugh:

well christ. not a crappy plastic one, but something not as fancy as a garden hose.

i see the difficulty :laugh:
  • fishlessman
    Options
    when i started running the copper i was looking for just a nice hose that would recoil into the wall, was amazed they dont make one for a shower just for cleaning it
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    i use one similar on the dog, works on the dog, just was looking for something with more velocity for other things
    fukahwee maine