Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Older egg question

Options
Austin Egger
Austin Egger Posts: 256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have an opportunity to purchase another egg at a pretty descent deal and was wondering if the construction is the same or close to the same as the newer ones. It's a medium that is about 8 - 9 years old with nest for $275. Firebox, draft door, green cap for putting out the fire and thermometer have been replaced. Anything that I should be aware of in the construction or materials? Thanks for your input!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    That would be the age of my medium - at that time they used a hinge with a lever that had to be pushed to release the locking mechanism. If it has a spring hinge then it's newer. At that price - if no cracks in the egg dome or base I'd say go for it - FAST!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    Thanks, I have first right of refusal on it and will be looking at it at 2:30 today.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    get a good look under the base for cracks, they can be really small but can spread. they usually start from the lower corner of the vent and disappear underneath. if you take the firebox out and clean out the ash really good you might see them there as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    When you are speaking of the ceramic BGE's there are subtle differences in the hinges, draft door (ss or black), the nests and a few other things over time.

The biggest was the switch from a 2 piece egg to a 1 piece. By that I mean, the early eggs (base and dome) were 2 pieces that were, for a lack of better term, glued together. If this egg is that old, it will be a pale green with a seam on the left and right side of the dome. If that is the case, I would shy away at the price you mentioned.

If you can post a picture you will get some more accurate responses if it is a good deal or not.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    ive seen pictures with the line, were they actually two pieces or was that just a mold line
    fukahwee maine

• Austin Egger
    Options
    http://austin.craigslist.org/for/2171238200.html This is a bad pic, but the only thing I have so far.
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    Thank you...I know that it used to have the black draft door and he replaced that after it started flaking away.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    It is definitely the old style nest and looks like the old hinge. The old hinge pivots in the middle and locks open. The ash tool can be used to release it. There were 1 and 2 hinge versions of the band but I don't recall if both were on the medium over time.

That egg when it was new probably didn't cost much more than $350
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    Thanks...Were the old hinges bad, or just different and probably not as easy as the spring?
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Not good or bad, just different. You had to lock them open and unlock them to close, so it was more of a pain than anything else. The spring assisted hinges are much more user friendly.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i seem to remember something about domes falling out if you tried to close it and forget to unlock it, not sure it was a real problem or not
    fukahwee maine

• Crimsongator
    Options
    More like bending the fool out of the bracing arm if you forget to unlock it.
  • RRP
    Options
    Aren't you describing the old scissor bands when you say you needed the ash tool to close? My recollection was the scissor came first - and then the locking lever band like I have and then the spring assisted. You sure don't need the ash tool to close a lever band. If you attempt to close the dome without pressing down on the lever you risk bending (ruining) the band and or having the dome pop out and fall.
  • RRP
    Options
    this isn't a real clear shot, but notice the yellow stip on my medium. That is a plastic sleeve that fits over the black lever which needs to be pushed to unlock when the dome is standing wide open.
    IMG_1784.jpg
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I bought a large off of Craigs list that appears to be the same age - paid $250.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • RRP
    Options
    so what's the verdict? and what kind of band and hinge did it have - that subject is still open here on down the thread
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Whatcha got hiding under that cover RRP, by that body line showing through the cover, it looks like a mid 90's Vette? Nice you have it garaged AND covered! I keep my baby's the same way.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • RRP
    Options
    LOL - good catch! Yup '95 that's cherry - 15,004 miles to be exact. Just driven for pleasure in the summer months and tucked away and covered the rest of the time!
    IMG_1821.jpg

Flaming red interior:
    IMG_1834.jpg
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Beautiful machine, especially like the color combo! I have a few baby's tucked away, only fair weather toy's. As long as they have the Sta-bil in the fuel and Deltran Battery Tender, they are ready and waiting for their time to play.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    Sorry for the delay. It was a busy afternoon and night. It had the older hinge and the older nest with smaller wheels. After reading all of the comments and doing my research, I decided to pass on this one. He said that he had six inquiries with in a few hours, so it has probably already been sold. I would still like to get a newer one with the spring assisted hinge. My main thing is that I have been wanting a small mainly for easy travel purposes. The medium could obviously work, as it would be better at my house but not as good when traveling, especially when it would just be me and my wife sometimes and 95lbs. is a bit much. I'm still wondering if I should have bought it though. :S
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    You will find another one. Be patient.