Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

General Tsao

Bash
Bash Posts: 1,011
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Boneless skinless thighs over apple at 400, rest while fire gets up to 750+. Stir fry veggies (onion, green pepper, carrots, brocoli), add sauce, chicken and peanuts.

Tried to get the flames shooting up the sides, but they didn't come out.

d52de77f.jpg

Always a favorite - quick and tasty, and relatively healthy.

Richard

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Richard,

Very nice! Can you close that egg with the wok in?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bash
    Steven,

No I can't close the egg with the wok on the egg - my wok diameter is larger than the medium egg diameter. I use the medium woo (actually Lump Reducing Ring, since my woo is taller), which gives a nice open area around the wok so the fire stays very hot.

I like having the LRR and woo at different heights - I use them both all the time depending on how far I want to be from the flames. I use the LRR as a woo much more than I do as a LRR.

Richard
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks and sounds great. What do you use for sauce?

I love the flavor of this dish at Chinese joints, but they usually have more breading than chicken. Your way sounds much healthier.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    OK, now I understand. I assumed it was a large and a giant wok. :)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bash
    That would be giant wok.

I like using the medium for wokking, since doing nuclear temps goes through lump so fast. (Not to mention I don't have a large...) :)
  • Bash
    I cheat - I just buy some bottled stuff, but it tastes good and the whole family loves it. Sweet but with a gentle kick to it.
  • Little Steven
    My medium has been in the garage for a couple of years. Need to drag it out when the snow melts.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard,
    What is the name of the sauce you use? Generals chicken is the only chinese I eat.
  • Bash
    It was "House of Tsang". I spice mine up a bit more with crushed red pepper, which makes a nice flavor combo.

Have thought I need to find a good recipe, but it is so quick and easy (not to mention tasty) that I have not bothered... :blush:
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Nothing wrong with that...thanks!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    wkygriller wrote:
    Richard,
    What is the name of the sauce you use? Generals chicken is the only chinese I eat.

GTs sauce is very simple to make

soy, vinegar, sugar, dried whole chili, garlic,ginger
    thicken with corn starch + water.

I don't recall the ratio off hand.

I think its
    1 soy
    1 sugar
    1/4 vinegar
    and then as much/little chili/garlic/ginger as you like

then adjust sweet/sour to your liking
    context is important :)
  • AZRP