Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Need inspiration/recipe help

J Appledog
J Appledog Posts: 1,046
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have been invited to a very elegant dinner party tomorrow night & I've been asked to make a salad. I know we are having rack of lamb.[p]I was hoping for an idea from another part of the country. No blue cheese, please.[p]Thanks![p]Julie (Very cold in Michigan).

Comments

• J Appledog,
    Not sure if you've ever been to the website AllRecipies.com - but I use it frequently. They have an entire area dedicated to salad (link below). One of my favorites is "Kraft's Seven Layer Salad" - but it may not classify as "elegant". Take a look at "Jamie's Cranberry Spinach Salad" - that one has the highest ratings in the salad category. HTH[p]Molly

[ul][li]AllRecipe Salads[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Julie
    We don't eat a ton of salads. I have not found any masterpieces yet, but this simple salad seems to satisfy me, my wife and my little girls....which is a challenge. Perhaps there is something here that might at least inspire.[p]Baby Spinach
    Canned mandarin oranges
    Walnuts toasted with maple syrup[p]And a simple dressing whisked with
    Oil
    Rice Vinegar
    Orange Juice
    Mrs. Dog's Disappearing Mustard
    Salt[p]The kids love it, it is easy and it blows away lettuce based salads.[p]I bet there are a few ingredients that would really help make this even better, but I have not found them yet. I am WIDE open to suggestions though!! [p]Please let us know what you end up with![p]I guess I should have asked what else is being served at this party?
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    J Appledog,
    Since lamb is a heavier meat, I'm thnking something light and cool like Mixed Greens, Mandrin Oranges, & Brandy/Dijon Mustard? I'll post the recipe if your interested...

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • J Appledog,
    Find the best greens you can get. Toss with thin slices of ripe pear and either candied or pan roasted walnuts. Serve lightly dressed with a dijon mustard vinegarette.[p]Paul[p](I left out the crumbled goat cheese.)

• I first had one of my all-time favorite salads at a Paradise Island resort. It's Bibb lettuce (expensive, but beautiful and buttery), hearts of palm (canned and sliced in half inch pieces), avocado, tomatoes and black olives. It's topped with a light creamy dressing, like Caesar or Creamy Italian. Excellent![p]Of course, a Greek salad always goes well with lamb, too. [p]Mesclun is another good salad green mix. Toasted pine nuts are tasty additions to salads, as are those Almond Accents you can buy in the produce section of the supermarket (love those things!).[p]Lee[p][p]
  • ... to my Bahamian salads, but they didn't in the Bahamas.[p]Lee

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Julie:[p]Every time I have lamb (and many other Greek dishes) I crave a salad like the one I had in several rural parts of Greece many decades ago . . .[p]It consisted of a slice or two of ripe tomato, several pieces of sweet onion, a couple of chunks of feta cheese (goat is best) or five, a helping of Nafplion olives, sprinkled with dried oregano, fresh ground black pepper, and liberally drizzled with an extremely fragrant olive oil.[p]Hmmmm! You got an extra plate set for me!?
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    J Appledog,
    I have 2 suggestions. 1 is an age old fine steak house item that you rarely see anymore (or maybe it's coming back...not sure). It is a basically frozen Iceburg Wedge (yes just cut the whole head in 4 pieces) with thousand island dressing drizzled over the top (homemade dressing is king).[p]The other would be a hot bacon dressed spinach salad with mushrooms (this would be better for a larger crowd)[p]I like djm's idea as well and I'm sure Mad Max would approve of a nice canteloupe and prosciutto plate.

• J Appledog, a simple oil and vinegar on romaine lettuce would fit very well. 2/3 good quality olive oil to 1/3 balsamic vinegar. Make it the way old cajun Justin Wilson on pbs does. Couple or 3 gloves garlic in bottom of a large wood salad mixing bowl with salt and maybe a few anchovies and mash to a paste with a fork. Add the oil & vinegar. then worchestershire, dijon mustard, pinch of sugar, shake or two of tobasco, fresh grd blk pepper and whisk. You might even be able to put plastic over and take it along just like that to be mixed with the greens when you get there. The only thing I would add to the greens is some onion slices. Wait till ready to serve and add the greens to the whisked dressing and toss. Add a good romano grated to the top of each serving.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    J Appledog,[p]I had one not long ago that knocked my socks off. It was mixed baby greens with warm, lightly breaded goat cheese and sugared walnuts with a vinegarette. I'm not at home, but can post the recipe later when I get there, if you're interested. Let me know...
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    ...for your suggestions. [p]Being from Florida & also from years in Arizona living in the middle of an orange orchard I personally love salads with citrus & onions. 90% of the salads I made when we were first married had citrus in them. One day my midwestern husband declared that he didn't think oranges belonged in salads & he was sick of them. So, this evening I am making a salad with baby greens, strawberries, dried cherries, candied almonds (or walnuts?), edible flowers, and maybe some avocado, with a maple balsamic dressing.[p]Bone appétit! Julie Appledog