Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone vs place setter

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, I'm new to this forum and have have owned an large BGE for 1 year now. I'm sure glad I found this forum, WHAT A FIND!![p]I have a question about the indirect method. Since I don't own any fire bricks or place setter, can I just use my pizza stone and drip pan? Or will the pizza stone trap too much of the heat and smoke. [p]Thank You

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Tom S.,[p]Any good ceramic will work. Some use flower pots!! I don't use my stone for anything but pizza but many do use it as a barrier - some cover it with foil so it doesn't get all greased up. What are you planning to cook indirect? If you read Jslots rib recipe - he uses the pizza stone as a barrier below the main grid. Yell if we can help.[p]Tim
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Tom S.,[p]A hearty welcome to the forum. Indirect cooking requires insulating the meal from the direct heat of the fire with the goal being to create a charcoal fired oven. Almost anything that can withstand the direct fire temp (always higher than cooking (dome) temp) for the duration of the cook will serve the purpose.[p]I tend to use pizza stones for this purpose as I have several of various diameters and thicknesses. Their use guarantees a true indirect cook. The biggest advantage of using a pizza stone is that, if you slightly raise the (required) drip pan off the stone, you can collect juices for gravy. [p]The only requirement that needs to be satisfied when cooking indirect is that the airflow through the Egg is not restricted. When using a pizza stone directly on the grill, a 3/4" opening (diameter) will reliably allow up to 400F cooking temp.[p]Go for it.[p]Spin