Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Enlarging thermometer hole

asianflava
asianflava Posts: 313
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was checking out the thermometers that Myron Mixon used in his pits during his class. They are nice an large, and glow in the dark. I want to put one on my egg so I can look out my back door to monitor temps. I use a DigiQ, but it's nice to have a mechanical backup.

Just eyeballing them, the stem looks bigger than the stock one. Has anyone been able to enlarge the hole. I just want to make it big enough for the stem then rig some kind of clip instead of using the nut. I'd like to know how to do this before I pursue this any further. They have replacement thermometers, but have the same sized clock face.

Comments

• Go real slow, and from both sides, with a ceramic / masonry bit.
    It can be done but....REALLY go slow.
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Wow, I don't know if I'd take a drill to my egg. I guess a glow in the dark mechanical thermometer would be a nice to have, but to risk your dome for something that isn't really necessary is a bit much. Ceramic is not a material that takes to being drilled to well. Yeah it could work without an issue, but is it really worth the risk. :unsure:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the hole was drilled originally. as mr/mrs potatohead said... you can do it. just use a ceramic drill bit.

i think you might be voiding the warranty though :whistle:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I have not drilled my dome but, I have drilled out my fire box. I used the same size masonry drill as the holes in my fire box. I drilled them out because the holes were catching pieces of lump. I simply made the holes smoother. I would not see any harm if you enlarged the hole in your dome for a larger diameter probe. Like Stike said doing so may void your warranty. Simply be careful if you do drill it out and I would start from the outside in so as not to chip the glaze. Tim
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Serious question. Do you think it would void the entire warranty or just the dome? The only damage to domes that I have seen is them popping out of the bands for whatever reason. Good point on the ceramic drill too. Different animal than a carbide/concrete drill.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• last time i went to remove mine i found it was slightly bent and so crudded up i could not remove it, i eventually scraped the stem free of crud and was able to pull it out.. i used a rat tail file to enlarge the hole .
    takes a bit more time but imho less risky than a drill ..
    a dremel with a diamond coated bit is also a good option
  • I've drilled a few holes in a broken dome I had lying around. Here are the results.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=467787&catid=1
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    it is a little more tricky enlarging a hole then drilling a new one. If I was dead set on doing it I would try a fine round.
  • stike
    i have no idea about voiding the warranty in part or entirely... just a good thing to consider.
  • stike
    that's true... good point.

especially ceramic. it's not like you can wiggle the bit around and make it wider that way. won't have much bite on the sides of the bit
  • Thanks for the replies. I should have saved more pieces of my broken dome to practice on. A rattail file or maybe a Dremel may be the options I'll explore. I just remembered that they have Dremel bits to cut ceramic tile.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    If you can see the thermo from the back door, why don't you just go to your back door with a flashlight? Turn the thermo so target temp is at 12 o'clock. Guaranteed not to crack the dome or void the warranty.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Remember you're only looking to take 1/16+" off or add to the diameter. that ain't that much and the stuff grinds like butter. so go easy