Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Shoulder Roast

Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought a couple of these beef shoulder roast at my local store which was on sale and very cheap. Anyone have any idea what I can do with them? Thanks, Mark

Comments

• srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Long low-and-slow to make pulled beef - like pulled pork, only different :)
  • Mark0525
    that sounds good. Any idea how long and what temp to pull?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've found them hard to cook in the absence of liquid. There is very little fat or connective tissue, and they tend to dry out easily.

I'd cook one either in a DO with braising fluids, or wrapped in foil with some added onion and butter till it reached about 180.

Alternatively, slice the roast into single muscle sections, and then cross cut for burger thick slabs. Marinate in an oil based marinade, and sear quick.
  • Mark0525
    So I still can plan on using it for pulled beef? If so I should wrap in foil and put liquid inside? I have some pulled port left over to serve Sat for my poker party but not enough so I was hoping I could use these roast I bought and make pulled beef but if this isn't a good meat to make pulled beef then I wont chance it. Thanks
  • Mark0525
    Can this be done hours before serving and placed in a cooler like pork can?
  • gdenby
    Note also:

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesPulledBeef.html

Notice Clay is using beef chuck. That is a good bit different than shoulder. However, the method should transfer pretty well to shoulder finished in a foil package. Clay adds pork fat (bacon) to help keep the meat moist.

I'm sure you will get a decent meal, but am uncertain as to how it will compare with chuck. As I mentioned, I would probably go a different way. Here's what I've done with chucks. I package the roast with lots of sliced onion, salt, black pepper, and a bunch of butter. While cooking indirect, I'd shift the package to baste the meat some. I'd expect to go as long as for a pork shoulder of similar weight. At 185-190, I open the pouch, pour off the drippings and onion, and go direct with the roast long enough to brown up both sides. Then shred, mixing with sauce made from the drippings.

One rule is to not serve guests something you haven't made before. I usually modify that to say don't serve guests something you haven't made twice before.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i would low and slow it like a butt, foil it with no more than a quarter cup of liquid when the internal reaches about 180. then cook it to about 210 internal, it takes more internal heat to get it to fall apart than a typical butt so monitor it after your in the 200 range for doneness. too much liquid in the foil makes it taste like pot roast, if it looks like it could take less than the quarter cup use less. i never see the term beef shoulder roast, i think you have whats called a shoulder clod roast. do some searches on beef clod
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mark0525
    Thank you. Not sure what exactly it was called. I just remember it is about 1 1/2 thick and it said shoulder something...lol what do I know. I will try that. Does it taste good pulled?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    well, i dont know what you have, 1.5 inches to me is a steak, roasts are bigger :laugh: clay cooks with the smaller pieces, i would follow his recipe with those
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    here's an image:

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--339/beef-pot-roasts.asp

scroll down some, and find the boneless shoulder roast. This is what is sold in markets near me. My comments are based on that piece of meat.

Notice that the one pictured just below is also called a shoulder clod, and is a very different piece of meat.
  • Mark0525
    Thank you...that's it!!!!! Boneless Shoulder Roast. I now remember seeing on the label English. Ok so can this be used as pulled beef?
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    He must be further west than you. We have these in Ohio. I've used them for pot roast. I've essentially roasted them in the Egg like you'd do in an oven too using the platesetter to go indirect.
  • I've had it BBQd low and slow at the famous Kreuz BBQ in Lockhart, TX. I didn't really like it, it wasn't as moist as brisket. They call it "Clod".
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    I'm pretty sure what he has is not the clod as that is the whole beast seeing that he says it is cheap. I'd guess it is an English shoulder roast. maybe 1-2 lbs tops.
  • gdenby
    I'd have to say I have some doubts about using it for pulled beef. Overall, I take anything that is well cooked by braising, such as a shoulder roast, as something that can be pulled. But the shoulder roast has so much less fat and collagen that I wouldn't consider it ideal.

Cooking it with extra fat and liquid would be good insurance for a better outcome.

Assume that you may have to chop it fine with a knife rather than pull, or use a tenderizer on it beforehand. Then be prepared to finish it in a nice sauce.
  • Mark0525
    Thanks, I think I will forget trying to pull it. I assume that it would be good for a pot roast.

Ok, let me try this one....My local store sent their flyer out today and they have buy one get one free of boneless sirloin tip roast. What would this roast be good for?