Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking then Reheating Brisket?

Options
Backcountrypro
Backcountrypro Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok I told my buddies that I was going to bring a 12 lb brisket on our snowmobile trip next weekend. My plan is to put brisket on my large BGE this weekend to smoke it. Then I will wrap the brisket in foil and the plan is to reheat it about 4 days later when we get to the cabin. To what temp should I smoke the brisket if I am going to be reheating it? Any tips to keep the brisket juicy? How about reheating the brisket in the oven....what temp and how long? Oh yeah...I will be reheating the brisket at a elevation of 8200 feet so I will have to adjust cooking time for that also! :woohoo:

I did a 8 lb brisket this weekend, I had it on the egg for 15 hours and I pulled it off when the meat in the thicker part of the brisket reached 195. Once I pulled it off the egg I double wrapped in foil and then wrapped in a small blanket and placed it in the fridge for two hours. I thought I had done everything right but the brisket seemed dry and slightly tough. I cooked with a dome temp of 250, maybe I should have tried something closer to 200 and pulled the meat off when it hit 185. I don't know!

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Brisket is a BIT-H! Warmed up brisket is her Mother!GOOD LUCK!If I HAD to do it,I would cook it,rest it,slice it then add liquid of choice and seal. Reheat in the oven to 150 or so.Like I said,good luck!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I am certainly no eggspert as I have not done brisket. I have done a few butts and I have found it has a fairly short shelf life in the fridge, but will keep quite well frozen and later defrosted. If I were planning to eat 4 days later I might consider freezing it. Just a thought...maybe someone else with more eggsperience will chime in.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• thegrillster
    Options
    I think Hoss nailed it. His formula is spot on.

My last brisket I pulled at 185 and rested and had a beef broth liquid to go with it the first serving. Very good. Leftovers were eaten for a couple of more days with the broth added and it was also very good.

Sealing it with the liquid seems to me it will insure it is moist at a later date. I am sure by sealing he means vacuum sealing.

Don't pull it at too low of a temp though or it will not be as tender as you would like. I would cook to at least 185.
  • Backcountrypro
    Options
    OK Thanks for all the advice!
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Backcountrypro wrote:
    Ok I told my buddies that I was going to bring a 12 lb brisket on our snowmobile trip next weekend. My plan is to put brisket on my large BGE this weekend to smoke it. Then I will wrap the brisket in foil and the plan is to reheat it about 4 days later when we get to the cabin. To what temp should I smoke the brisket if I am going to be reheating it? Any tips to keep the brisket juicy? How about reheating the brisket in the oven....what temp and how long? Oh yeah...I will be reheating the brisket at a elevation of 8200 feet so I will have to adjust cooking time for that also! :woohoo:

I did a 8 lb brisket this weekend, I had it on the egg for 15 hours and I pulled it off when the meat in the thicker part of the brisket reached 195. Once I pulled it off the egg I double wrapped in foil and then wrapped in a small blanket and placed it in the fridge for two hours. I thought I had done everything right but the brisket seemed dry and slightly tough. I cooked with a dome temp of 250, maybe I should have tried something closer to 200 and pulled the meat off when it hit 185. I don't know!
    Looks like you have gotten some good advise. I was just wondering why you wrapped your last brisket in foil, then blanket, then fridge? Were you trying to keep it hot or cool it down? Have fun on your snowmobile trip! :)
  • Backcountrypro
    Options
    I don't know why I did it that way.....I seen othes on here talk about doing it that way and it sounded like a good idea at the time. I have made a hand full of briskets on a horizontal smoker with a fire box and they always turn out excellent. I usually smoke them about 10 hours and take the brisket off and start slicing it up right away. This was my first brisket on the BGE.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Backcountrypro,

IMHO it is best to slice when cooked and vacuum seal with sauce or jus. Reheat the bags in simmering water.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ozarkshooter
    Options
    I did much the same as you will be doing. In November, I smoked some meats for a hunting trip later that week. We also have a company picnic each year for our clients where we cook brisket and pulled pork ahead of time.

FWIW, my suggestion is to slice the meat, freeze and vacuum seal in individual servings or enough for one meal. Then either re-heat by boiling the bags like suggested above, or I have had the best experience reheating on the stove top in a disposable foil pan with some liquid added. For brisket, use either beef broth or Coke. I have also used water, but better flavor with broth.

Good luck and have fun on the trip.