Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problem Cooking Thick Steaks

James
James Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been having difficulty cooking thicker steaks (over 1/2 inch). The outside gets well done, and the inside is rare. I don't have any issues with cooking the thinner size, so I know it is just a timing/temp issue (what isn't?). Had previously done 650 degrees 2 1/2 minutes per side, and then shut down both vents and cooked another 4-5 minutes. [p]Any ideas suggestions welcome.
Thanks

Comments

• James,
    Have you tried the T-Rex method yet? It's the best steak you'll ever eat - I promise. Here's the link to T-Rex's website where he has several recipes based on type/cut of meat you are using. His method will solve your problem for sure - try it.

[ul][li]T-Rex Recipes[/ul]
  • James,
    I had the same problems in the beginning as you describe. One of the changes I made (similar to the T-Rex method) is to bring the meat to room temperature before beginning to grill. [p]If the meat is still at 36 degrees, then the outside will be well done as you say with the inside rare as you describe.[p]Try placing the meat on the counter 1-1.5 hours ahead of cooking. Seasin as you prefer when removed from the fridge and then cover/wrap with Saran Wrap. This also allows the seasoning to do some of it's magic.[p]I do not profess to be an expert, but this is a tip I have learned along the way. Please let us all know the results of the next steak cook, and the method you use, and of course, the results. I'm interested.[p]Banker John

• James
    James Posts: 232
    James,[p]Hi James. Nice handle. Unfortunately, it is already taken. :-)[p]Please select another one.[p]