Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much oil for fried rice

Options
Cagey
Cagey Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read most if not all of the posts about stir-frying and making fried rice. My question is this, how much oil do you most of you use to fry rice? I normally put in about 1 to 2 table spoons to fry up the chicken or other meat. Once the meat is cooked, I throw in the vegetables to cook. When everything is cooked, I remove all this and put it aside. When I cook my 1.5 cups of rice that I boiled up and allowed to dry earlier, it seems like I have to put in a great deal of oil in the wok to keep it from burning, and to get it to fry up nicely. It seems like when I am done that my fried rice is more oily than what I get at the store. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, how I can fry the rice while keeping it a little less oily. Thanks you for your input.

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    if you want to reduce the oil, you might try using stocks or broths when doing the chicken and veggies. Mix it up some with beef broth/stock on chicken.

Also when doing the rice, make sure it's not the quick rice but the pain in the arsp (long grain) rice. You can also add soy sauce or other asian liquid flavors to the rice when stir frying it. keep it all moving when wokking. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Cagey: Are you using a spider to hold the wok? I normally do the sears of my meats and veggies with the legs up, so the wok is very close to the lump. Then I flip the spider legs down when I add the rice, so the wok is further from the lump. As already said, the addition of a bit of soy sauce helps.
  • Cagey
    Options
    Yes, I use a spider. I have been cooking the meats and the rice with the spider facing up. I also use long grain slow cook rice. I will try using stock to cook the meats, plus adding soy sauce earlier in the cook. I have been adding it only at the end when the rice was fried up fairly well. Thanks for the input.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i havent tried in a long time but if the rice is getting too oily its sometimes a sign that things arent hot enough,if its not hot enough to fry it quick enough it will soak up the oil. thats what happens when i fry spagetti. from what you wrote it almosts sounds like your adding cold oil to the rice during the cook, that wouldnt work to well. olive oil gives a heavey oily taste as well, what kind of oil are you using
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cagey
    Options
    I am using vegetable oil. I know from other cooks that olive oil has a lower burn point. I am letting the oil heat up prior to putting in the rice. Even with a nice black seasoning of the wok, it seems like without a rather large amount of oil that the rice sticks to the wok at points and then burns. When this has occurred, I have move the rice around to form a small opening at the center and poured in more oil. Once it heated up, I stirred the rice into the now hot oil.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I use 2 tbs of Rice Bran oil and then if more liquid is needed I use soy sauce. The rice doesn't end up oily at all. I hope this helps. :)