Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

remember the DrybagSteak contest?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Back a month plus ago I posted a heads up here about a contest to win 1 of 5 DrybagSteak starter kits which included a SINBO vacuum sealer - each of the 5 kits is a $150 value.

Well, anyway this afternoon the winners were announced and since I'm not privy to who these people are nor what board they normally hang out at I'll post this head's up.

If you are registered as one of these 5 people over on the smokingmeatsforum then you won!

SmokerMark

Squirrel

TheBarbeQueen

BigSmoker

ukmatt

And even if you entered and didn't win this lotto - good luck elsewhere!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• UKMatt
    UKMatt Posts: 113
    I'm on here! Thanks very much for posting the original link - that's how I heard about the contest!

I use the BGE regularly... for 2011 I resolve to post more pics of cooks here. And now, some of those cooks will be dry aged beef!!!!

Thanks again
    UKMatt
  • RRP
    COOL!

BTW you have an email.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I remember.They would'nt let me play. :( I'm sure it was sumthin I was doing wrong,but after 5 trys ,I gave up.Congrats to the winners. :)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ron

Wish I had signed up. Kinda partial to commando though ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    That's fine Steven, some folks aren't!

BTW the DrybagSteak product bags WHICH I HAVE NO FINCAIAL INTEREST IN might be of interest to others in learning how to dry age beef for 30 40 or 50 days without making your wife or kids puke when seeing it in the refrigerator for several weeks!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i don't think the dry bag looks any less "weird" than commando-style, fwiw. :)

hard brown and rotten is hard brown and rotten no matter how you slice it :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • UKMatt
    Hey RRP - Not sure if you meant I have an email... I don't see anything in my hotmail which is the one I have linked from here...

I got a PM on the Smoking Meat Forum moderator but that's all...

UKMatt
  • RRP
    I sent it via this board which means I don't have a copy to re-send. Have you checked your junk or spam filter? It's not the end of the world if you don't receive it - it was a just a congratulatory type message.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Hyperbole much Ron?

I don't recall any posts of kids or spouses puking at the sight of dry-aged beef in a refrigerator.

You seem awfully defensive of these dry bags for someone with no financial interest in them. I understand you like them and recommend them, but you are quick to pounce anytime someone offers an alternate opinion. I'm a pretty big fan of a certain brand of dry rubs, but I don't jump any time someone mentions another brand to continually try and sway them to the brand I prefer.

Personally, if I can get to the same end result without spending the money I think that is worth investigating.
  • stike
    now now. sometimes the stuff reads differently than it is intended. for example, rod, i am smiling and kidding when i say "you are a giant tool". but you can't see me winking and that i only mean it as a joke.

:whistle:
  • Fidel
    I'm not really a giant, just a slightly larger than normal tool.

The point is, you can take two relatively identical pieces of meat. Piece 1 goes into the bag (that costs money) and takes a device (that also costs money) to suck out the air and seal it. Then I have to store the device somewhere until the next time. Piece 2 goes straight into the fridge.

Both sit in the same fridge for the same amount of time and end up the same way. I would venture a guess that there isn't a palate among us that could discern between two steaks, one from each hunk of meat. So why would I want to spend the money on the bags and have to store the device? To keep my wife and kids from allegedly regurgitating onto the floor from looking at the decomposing beef au naturel instead of viewing that same piece of beef through an opaque piece of overpriced plastic wrap?
  • UKMatt
    @RRP - thanks for the message even if I didn't get it :)

@Fidel - thanks very for cr@pping all over what was meant to be a good news thread about something good happening. :angry:

UKMatt
  • Fidel
    You know what Matt, you're right and I owe you a heartfelt apology. I really didn't think about the original intent of this thread when I replied to RRP and stike.

Please accept my apology.
  • UKMatt
    Fidel wrote:
    You know what Matt, you're right and I owe you a heartfelt apology. I really didn't think about the original intent of this thread when I replied to RRP and stike.

Please accept my apology.

Thanks Fidel - I appreciate the apology.

I'll be sure to post the results of the dry aging as long as you kids promise not to argue about it :)

UKMatt
  • stike
    you could claim a spot at the head of the line by doing one commando right next to it for comparison's sake ;)

can't seem to get one of the dry-baggers to try it side-by-side with the 'other' method. i'd do it, but i don't wanna spend any extra cash on the machine/bags :laugh:
  • UKMatt
    stike wrote:
    you could claim a spot at the head of the line by doing one commando right next to it for comparison's sake ;)

can't seem to get one of the dry-baggers to try it side-by-side with the 'other' method. i'd do it, but i don't wanna spend any extra cash on the machine/bags :laugh:

Not going to happen in my house I'm afraid... rightly or wrongly, my wife is not going to put up with a hunk of raw beef sitting out in the open on a fridge shelf for a month!

To be honest, I don't understand the issue - unless there's someone on the forum trying to break into someone's house to put a drybag on your meat or vice versa, can't those who want to drybag use them and those who don't not?

UKMatt
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Hmmm,

You didn't use the winking smiley either ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    of course they can. i think if you read any of my posts w/r/t the drybags it is always in an effort to figure out their advantage. to find out what additional benefits they have, for my benefit, and that of anyone following along. there are more than a few people interested in this stuff.

i have spilled my guts trying to talk through dry aging, explain what's happening and why. and when it comes to the dry bags, i thought it would be nice to have someone in that camp willing to expend the energy to help us all understand it too, and build on the understanding we have. that's all. i harbor no animosity.

though i tend to agree with rod's thinking, even if his delivery wasn't as rosy as it could have been.

as for "the issue". i have no issue. but let the record show i have never said people would 'puke' when looking at a drybagged primal. i wouldn't say something about the drybag method akin to "hunk of raw beef sitting out in the open on a fridge shelf for a month!" (your exclamation point). that's just ignorance.

it's disparaging. it's as bad as saying that drybaggers are pansies because they don't understand how aging work, and they think plastic wrap cures all. (that's hyperbole, by the way, i don't think that). but it would be fun to say

i will say that it is naive to assume that wrapping it in plastic is different (as far as your wife is concerned) than having it unwrapped. it's still raw beef, it's still got the same bacteria, and it's still sitting in the fridge for a month.

there are some benefits. ron might share them. he shared them with me finally after he got some feedback from the folks that sell them when he passed along MY questions to the dry-bag folks . the answers made sense, but i still think most users would be hard-pressed to relate them, because they probably aren't doing it for those reasons anyway.

i'll say again, if the ONLY reason you wrap them is because you think it is safer or "less weird" than unwrapped, then it's really more of a psychological crutch or talisman. that's not disparaging. it's just an observation.

one that's waiting to be disproved. :laugh: ok. that was antagonistic. but you were implying people were being antagonistic to the drybaggers. which people would be me, i guess...

please don't make it sound like anyone is trying to make anyone use them (or not).

i give ron grief (as he gives me), but we have discussed it at length off line trying to see how the two methods work, what the effects are, etc.

my only question is "why" use them? and not "why?" as in "you idiot!", but "why" as in, "because i would like to have the best possible steak at the end of 45 days, will this be better than another method?" It would be good to know.

i hope you seriously enjoy the thing. you'll have the best beef you have ever had. just don't make it sound like a war, simply because i (or anyone else) would like to understand what the benefit is beyond placating a wife or the unsure food-safety voice in one's own head

wrapped or unwrapped, it's still the same 'risk'. i happen to think it is minimal risk either way.

good luck, and let us know how it turns out. some of us are actually interested in the results.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    No drawrings today? :P
  • stike
    twice in two days people are asking for drawings.....

let me know what you need and i'll send a draft proposal for your review. :laugh:
  • UKMatt
    How on earth this discussion turned out the way it did is beyond me.

Stike - based on this one post alone, I have absolutely no interest in helping you out with your comparison. I question your opjectivity based on this post anyway so it would be a wasted effort.

You guys are welcome to your dry bag versus commando p!ssing match - I want no part of it.

UKMatt
  • stike
    it's part of a larger conversation. sorry you seem perplexed by it, and sorry you took it so personally.

i just thought it would be good for all of us here interested in aging to figure out what's happening and why. just a learning opportunity. as you probably know, not many people care about learning these days.

i can see you have no interest in the aging conversation, and that's fine. as i said, and meant, enjoy it. sorry you took such offense to everything.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    So let me get this straight. You are the moderator of a forum that prohibits outside advertising and you are advertising THAT forum here.
  • UKMatt
    stike wrote:
    it's part of a larger conversation. sorry you seem perplexed by it, and sorry you took it so personally.

I'm perplexed because that larger conversation never needed to be brought into a thread that was simply a good news story about someone being given the opportunity to try this product for free.

I generally take it personally when people dismiss my wife's opinion as naive incidentally. Of course most people with social skills understand it's typically best not to do that sort of thing in polite conversation.

If you guys can't see that you are lacking a little bit in objectivity if you feel the need to jump down someone's throat in a thread like this then there is little point in trying to have a conversation with you.

UKMatt
  • stike
    relax, francis. jeezus.

ok, let me say it "we are all exceptionally happy you won a contest"

i didn't disparage your wife, either. you can stop feeling attacked.

FWIW, i rarely apologize, and i apologized twice to you, as did rod, who is as bad as i am in that regard.

as for objectivity... i can tell you that i get nothing for free when i mention the way i age. not sure that's the case for others.

and yet i have always said they were fine to use. you are imagining something that's not there. i've just been looking for logical reasons to jump over to that camp, and no one has ever offered any, other than that their wife seems to be 'in charge of the fridge'.

please try to be as objective yourself as you seem to demand of strangers on an internet forum :laugh:
  • stike
    aw yoo. give ron a moment of peace. hahaha
    he's just letting folks know who won....

no harm, no foul. :laugh: