Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foodsaver Help

Options
reccitron
reccitron Posts: 176
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need some help with my foodsaver. I have noticed that some of my bags loose their seal. Tonight I sealed 8 steaks and 5 of them lost their seal within 5 minutes.

When I make the bag I double seal the end. I fold the bag over when I put something in it so I don't get any food on the area that will be sealed. I make sure the area that is getting sealed is flat. I then vacuum seal it and then seal it again.

These bags loosing their seal is getting really annoying and expensive. Anyone have any thoughts or tricks on how I can fix this problem?

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I don't know unless the area that does the sealing needs to be replaced or cleaned. Have you had it long and do you use it much?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Do a bag with water in it and figure out where the seal is breaking. Is it possible you got a bad roll or bag material? I think maybe folding over your bags is causing an issue in the manufactured sides.

Are you possibly sucking too long and getting food moisture in the sealing area?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    When you say you "fold the bag over", do you mean you are trying to get the machine to heat seal FOUR thicknesses of the bag? If so, that's probably the problem. If not, I have no idea.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• reccitron
    Options
    2Fategghead wrote:
    I don't know unless the area that does the sealing needs to be replaced or cleaned. Have you had it long and do you use it much?

I've had it for about 5 years but don't use it much. The bags look like they are totally sealed.
  • reccitron
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    Do a bag with water in it and figure out where the seal is breaking. Is it possible you got a bad roll or bag material? I think maybe folding over your bags is causing an issue in the manufactured sides.

Are you possibly sucking too long and getting food moisture in the sealing area?

I just started folding them over because I thought I might be getting food in the sealing area. Sealing a bag of water to see where it leaks sounds like a good idea. How do I seal water? Wouldn't the water just get sucked out during the vacuum stage?
  • reccitron
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    When you say you "fold the bag over", do you mean you are trying to get the machine to heat seal FOUR thicknesses of the bag? If so, that's probably the problem. If not, I have no idea.

No I fold the bag over so I don't get food on the sealing area. I then unfold it to seal it.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    If you are folding the end of the bag over then you are trying to seal 4 layers .That won't work.I think the pooblem is that juice from your steak is being drawn into the seal area so you are not getting a good seal.I have had this problem and I have an older foodsaver.Solution-Place the steaks on a sheet pan and throw into the freezer for 30 mins to an hour,then vaccum seal them.I'll bet you a bag of lump that this will fix your problem. ;):)
  • Hoss
    Options
    Just hit the seal only option instead of vaccum and seal. :)
  • Fidel
    Options
    Well, sorta. Do a manual suck and seal to get most of your air out.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I just don't let the vacuum run that long. I keep an eye on it and when the juices/liquid start to migrate toward the sealing area I override the vacuum and do a manual seal.

But I always double seal both ends with 1/4" or so gap between the seals.

Of course, I'm like mega-OCD, so I'm kinda shocked I don't seal it 9 times on either end, just to be safe.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    reccitron,

I know what you bean about folding the top of the bags over. Are you sealling liquid ir semi liquid like chili? Freezing the open bags help with this so that when you do the seal there is no moisture in it. Failing that, many sealers have dwell or seal potentiometers to allow a longer heat cycle. You can also draw moisture from what you are sealing and you can press "manual seal" when you see the liquid running up towards the element.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I'm suspicious of the material itself. By double sealing - and I assume inspection - you shouldn't be getting leakage. As for the fold back - I understand, but instead I just take a paper towel and wipe the inside of the bag throat before sealing if I think I smeared it anyway. Otherwise Fidel's suggestion should do the trick. If you are worried about sucking water into the FS and maybe ruining it you could always put some water in, place it in the freezer and then after frozen seal the bag and let it melt. BTW I always freeze my soups that way and then seal the next day so I know it works!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hoss
    Options
    I have learned that trick too,even if you hit the moist selection.I was putting paper towels in there to catch the migrating juice but thought that was gross,I then started parfreezing.I finally figured out to do the manual overide.I also double seal.BTW,did you get my email about the 20 inch mediun flat top?
  • Fidel
    Options
    yea, I got it. I'm on the lookout.
  • Hoss
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    I'm suspicious of the material itself.

Hmm, maybe that's it. How about trying some new bags and see it the problem persists. I've never heard of a shelf life for vac bags, but who knows. Are these bags 5 years old?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    they're fine as long as they were not between 40 and 140 for more than 4 hours
  • Hoss
    Options
    :laugh: :) Pat,you are batting a thousand this week! :)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    hahahaha. good one, bud! :) thought it was TWO hours now!?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FlaPoolman
    Options
    Thats only for the poultry bags :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    reccitron, just ignore this guy. :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Using the "moist" setting will cause the sealing element to stay on 2-3 seconds longer. Like it was said, watch the level of any liquid creeping up toward the seal and hit the "seal" button before it gets there. I also position the Foodsaver near the edge of the counter so I can be sure the bag is lower than the sealer so no moisture will run onto the area to be sealed. I often double seal both ends.
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: I'm sure the problem has already been answered with the vacuum sucking the juices into the sealing area,,, don't ask me how I know this :whistle::blush:
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Moisture will create sealing challenges and foodsaver says to avoid same that a slight pre freeze helps, crazy but it works.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • reccitron
    Options
    I decided to freeze the water first like RRP suggested so I could get a good vacuum. I'll post back when it gets sealed and then thaws.

When I was sealing the steaks, I didn't have moisture entering the sealing area.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Notice that I stayed out of this one??? :evil: :laugh: :woohoo:

Cheers Eggers,
    A new and kinder Bordello :whistle:
  • EggerFromIowa
    Options
    another way to keep the juices from interfering with the seal, is to wrap the meat with saran wrap first, then seal.