Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Itialian Beef

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well with the playoff being played now. i am wanting to make some itialian beef sandwitches during the playoffs. and since it is possible my steelers could be playing chicago in the super bowl. i figured i would make the itialian beefs this weekend.. i will figure out what is for superbowl later. but my question is what is the recepie people are using now?

i know i should be keeping up better but as most of you know my world has been upside down for awhile. but there is light at the end of the tunnel i just hope it is not a train :ohmy:

i am taking my daughter out to dinner tonight so i will be away for awhile but i will be back in later this evening..

thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    The best recipe I have is ordering from one of the places up in Chicago. I have some amazingly awesome beefs up there.

I hope you and your daughter have a great time this evening.
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    Here are a couple of sites to check out. I'm sure you could adapt them to Egg recipes easily enough. The biggest issue is finding the right bread. My brother just gifted me with 3 dozen Gonella rolls!

http://www.great-chicago-italian-recipes.com/italian_beef_sandwich.html

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/italian_beef.html

Go Bears!
  • bayouegger
    Options
    I tried this one last week and modified it for the Egg. Came out pretty good, a little dry but that might b/c I didn't slice it right away.

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2010/10/italian-beef.html

Patio Daddio BBQ has some really good recipes and ideas.

Steve
  • Chef Boyaree
    Options
    I don;t think you are supposed to slice it right away. I think that chilling it overnight and then slicing when cold is the preferred method. Is it possible it dried out because it was cooked a tad too long. If you take it of and let it sit after it is already been on too ling it will continue to cook and if it;s a lean cut it'll dry out.
  • Chef Boyaree
    Options
    here is a good recipe that can be used on the egg with some small adjustments. I think the secret is to make the dipping sauce used in chicago beef sanwich recipes. If used liberally before serving moisture shouldn;t be a problem
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I think Faith just made a killer batch and I think maybe FLpoolman gave her the link? is it large marge?? can't remember. nice to see a post from you ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I did thid one and it was REALLY good.Only thing I would do different is cool the gravy to room temp before the overnite soak and remove the meat from the gravy before reheating the gravy.Dunk the still cold beef in the hot gravy til it was hot and serve. ;)
    http://www.food.com/recipe/da-best-chicago-style-italian-beef-95534
  • BENTE
    Options
    thanks julie! i will call pat tomorrow

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    thanks hoss!

that looks simple enough for me to do... and i was thinking the same thing on the gravy ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    thanks alot i saved that link i like the eye round but i always make pit beef from it. i may have made itialian beef's with it before but it has been so long ago since i tried i have forgotten what recepie i used :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Hey Terry here's the link to when I made it using Large Marge's recipe
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=749967&catid=1
    How ya been buddy, still yelling and screaming at people? :laugh:
  • BENTE
    Options
    well my bread making skills are a little lame so i will proabably just use a hoagie roll from my local publix. they have a pretty good one... i got the giardiniera so i think i got something rigth to start with. i have only eaten one of these in atlanta and i thought it was pretty great. they had a big map on the wall of chicago and everyone who came there put a pin in where they were from in chicago. so i figured they were as close to authentic as i was going to find.. but they are two hours away so i got to do what i can ;)

i saved your site it looks like they have alot of info. thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    i went to the place right behind the big chicken over on cobb parkway. everytime i am over there i stop. but my brother moved from acworth to charleston so it has been awhile.. if you get over there try it they are pretty awesome ;)

thanks parker and i had a great time B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hoss
    Options
    It had GREAT flavor but the meat was WAY too cooked for me.I like it wigglin a little. :laugh:
  • BENTE
    Options
    thanks pat you just saved me a phone call :(

AND YES I AM STILL YELLING AND SCREAMING AT PEOPLE!!!!!http://www.youtube.com/user/CharlestonAA#p/a/u/1/ys_ICAjz9mk

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Terry, publix has Chicago rolls that are an ok substitute for the real ones
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC06424ra.jpg

I pretty much follow the DrBBQ method. Season and roast your round (or rump roast) at roasting (pardon the pun) temperatures. Let is cool overnight. Then slice real thin.

DSC06462JPGa.jpg

You either have a base for the gravy, or make it from scratch.... reduce it until it's to your liking. Then with your crunchy roll in-hand, dip the sliced meat in the gravy and slap in on the bun. Add all the goodies (which should include some Italian giardiniera) and go for it. I like a side of the gravy, or you can dunk the whole shebang in the gravy for the wet look.

DSC06472JPGa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hoss
    Options
    YESSIR! Dunked is the way to go.The Jar-di-nera puts it over the top.I like to dunk the meat,make the sammy,then dunk the whole thing again. :woohoo:
  • BENTE
    Options
    i have had the bread. i will see if they can make me some hoagie rolls from the same recepie. i do know the bakery manager along with the rest of them ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    thanks wayne! last time i made this was three or four years ago but i did not have a good giardiniera. through the memory and niceness of a member here i have it now. yours looks alot more "chunky" than the several versions i made. i could never get mine hot enough. but i got it now. your picture is really nice.

thanks again ;)

i hope all is well with you

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey Terry, Hope your doing alright. Miss you here. Tim ;)
  • BENTE
    Options
    thanks tim ;)

and it will all be good B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Here's the one I made a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1020412&catid=1#

I hope your team wins!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • BENTE
    Options
    thanks faith i am heading to publix now to make sure they have what i want on friday or saturday. do you think 125 internal was to high or to low?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Bente, I think 125 is perfect.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    BENTE wrote:
    well my bread making skills are a little lame so i will proabably just use a hoagie roll from my local publix. they have a pretty good one... i got the giardiniera so i think i got something rigth to start with. i have only eaten one of these in atlanta and i thought it was pretty great. they had a big map on the wall of chicago and everyone who came there put a pin in where they were from in chicago. so i figured they were as close to authentic as i was going to find.

AAAAAA! Atlanta? with a MAP of Chicago?! Oh Bente. Please, make a trip up to Oswego in September for our fest this year. Maybe we can lure Randy and Kim back. While you're here, try a real beef. Forget all the talk about Chicago pizza. The real Chicago foods are the italian beef and the Vienna Beef hot dogs.

A hoagie roll should be a good substitute. A proper roll for beef has a thin, flaky crust, and a crumb that, while soft, isn't too tender. It needs to be able to hold up when saturated in juice. The shape and structure of the bread is all crumb, the crust provides no structure...kind of the opposite of baguette. And don't let people talk you into calling it "dipping sauce"...this ain't french dip. Like Hoss says (bless his heart), you reheat the beef in the juice, put the beef on the roll, dip the whole thing in the pan of juice, and enjoy it as it runs down your arm. There's a reason to the picky-ness on the bun. If the crust is too hard, you'll just squeeze all the juice out of it when you try to bite through the crust, but if crust is right, and the crumb too soft, it will fall apart when it gets wet.

The best pic I could quickly find is on the Portillo's catering menu. Second page, bottom right. Speaking of which...Portillo's ships nation-wide.
    http://www.portillos.com/assets/pdfmenu/EFE946B186A84A1F9186C64F9034A193.pdf

I'm torn about whether to bother making beef for the game on Sunday. It would be fun to try, but come on, I've probably got two dozen beef joints within five miles of our house. And I'm down to just a couple pints of beef stock in the freezer...I guess I just answered THAT question.

I'll take a beef no peppers...wet. And go Bears!
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    You know, Faith's kaiser roll is actually a fantastic idea, if your hoagie rolls aren't the right sort. Proper kaiser roll texture is pretty close to what you're looking for. Her pic is perfect.

I'd go higher than 125, simply for ease of slicing. Even refridgerated, I've had problems getting a thin slice on rare roast beef. You're going to be re-warming the beef in hot gravy anyway, so it's not going to be pink when you eat it. If I do beef this weekend, I'm going to bring it up to 140ish, I think. But maybe I just need a better slicer.