Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stomach Cancer

TnVolKen
TnVolKen Posts: 198
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, I was talking at work the other day about the Big Green Egg and someone asked me if I wasn't scared of stomach cancer from BBQing. What do you all think?

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Usual BS :laugh:
    Might be true if you ate ten or twelve pounds of charred beef every day for four or five years, and maybe not even then. :P
  • TnVolKen
    TnVolKen Posts: 198
    I did hear that it is primarily off charred meat.
  • Cagey
    Cagey Posts: 86
    Here are a couple of links on the issue.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2519/does-barbecuing-cause-cancer

It is probably a lot like saccharine. Saccharine does cause cancers in mice, but you have to drink some 20 cases of saccharine drinks a day for over 10 years to get the same effect. If you go overboard and almost anything it is bad for you.

Carrots are healthy and good for you, but only eat them for days on end and your skin turns a little orange and it is not good for your system.

Ask your buddy if he eats pan cooked meats, after your read this one.

http://cancer.about.com/od/foodguide/a/grillingmeat.htm

One more, but the list goes on and on and on.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/cancer/facts/10-cancer-myths1.htm

Grill on.
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Maybe they got a fright due to the raised incidents of cancer from Fluorescent lights

Of course there are also some other just as important facts that everyone should know
  • I think the crap they put in meat and feed our cattle is more likely to cause cancer than the grilling. But hey, I'll quit eating grilled steak about the same time I quit drinking beer.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    TnVolKen wrote:
    What do you all think?

I think you can just add it to the list. Seems that every time I turn around, something else is gonna kill me. And then, next month or next year... oh, wait, no it's not! It's actually GOOD for me! Until "they" change their minds again. I gave up on it long ago. I eat what I like and try to do it in moderation.

Last I heard, the odds are stacked against me. One of these days, I'll probably die... from something.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    I think you need to read into it and discover that it's not quite correct to say bbqing causes cancer. And that's assuming that even when they say 'bbqing' they really mean high heat grilling, which isn't bbqing at all.

It's the high heat that is the culprit. in short, browning is fine, blackened is bad. Same even for nitrites in cured food. There's virtually no evidence they cause any health issues. It's high heat cooking (blackening) that is the issue with bacon, ham, etc.

Never take the world of someone at face value. including mine. Best to educate yourself or block your ears, because there is a lot of misunderstood stuff out there
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I have folks tell me often that they grill/Q 4 or 5 times a week. That often is a little scary to me........
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    OK, enlighten me. What crap are "they" putting into meat?

As for the original post, this "scare" shows up a couple times a year, usually right before Memorial Day and Labor Day - right about the time most people are firing up their grills. I've read a bit on the topic and it's all pretty much hogwash unless you (as others have already pointed out) make a habit of charring your food.
  • Wonder why they don't feed some rats charred steak for a year and see if they die of cancer, after they wipe the smiles off the rat's faces of course.

Spring "Science Is Often Not Science" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • oh man.. are they a vegan? ask them if they feel bad when the vegetable screams when you cut it off at the root.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    As Tom Lehrer once said, "on't drink the water and don't (cough cough) breathe the air".
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    You are moore likely to have a heart attack from the fat than getting cancer. With all the chemicals they put in are food now days, I am not as much worried about grilling that would cause the cancer.
    From what I have read is just don't burn your food. Besides it doesn't taste good burnt anyway.
  • We grill several times a week. Most cooks are grillings to cook the meat, let the grease drip into the fire, get some grill marks and try to preserve the meats moisture. I don't think twice about these cooks. When we grill steaks, we do get some charring, which is not necessarily a good thing. We season the steaks before grilling and may add additional salts at the table. For steaks, we think this makes for better taste. This is not a good thing since I take blood pressure meds. But since we do it no more than once every couple weeks, I take my chances. I do think that by grilling almost all our meats and avoiding most of the natural grease, I'm coming out ahead. I think my wife and I actually eat healthier with the BGE than we did before its arrival almost two years ago. Every one has to decide whats best for them and their family. Suspect no one has the perfect answer.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    ..that responsible grilling and barbecuing is something to keep an eye on. Below is a snip from a post (on another forum) from Jim Minion, who is without-a-doubt, one of my favorite ambassadors to barbecue. I generally like to read his opinion on things and have learned quite a bit from doing so.

Is Grilling Bad for You???

We have all heard grilling can be harmful but here are some ways to cut the effects and allows us to eat grilled foods we love.

Marinate before grilling. It can reduce HCA formation in meat and fish by up to 99 percent. Herbs are helpful, too. Rosemary, garlic and sage may block the formation of both HCAs and PAHs in and on the food. Add the seasonings to light marinades or as ingredients to other dishes you serve with your grilled foods. A citrus or olive oil marinade can also counteract HCA buildup.

Think small. Smaller cuts spend less time over the flame than big slabs of meat. Flip them frequently, too. Turning meat over every minute greatly reduces HCAs. Use tongs to turn foods. “Puncturing meats with a fork may cause juices to flow and drip on to the coals”.

Avoid overcooking foods. The longer you grill your meat, the more the carcinogens develop.

Partner grilled items with cancer fighters. Antioxidants and other phytonutrients in fruits (apples, grapes and berries), vegetables (broccoli, kale, cauliflower, onions) and even tea can stall or stop the chemicals' effects in the body.

There is no need to stop eating grilled food just modify our process.

Jim
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Really is is more "we" that are putting the stuff in our food, water, etc. Drinking water is leached with prescription drugs, the fields that grow the grain that feed our cattle are sprayed with pesticides, animals and vegetables are genetically altered, chickens are pumped full of antibiotics, etc. etc. We demand lower prices, and the only way to deliver that is altering the manner in which the animals and their feed are produced.

I'm not a vegan, tree hugging freak or anything (if God didn't want me to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?), I just wish I could see the conditions under which the cow, chicken, turkey etc. that I eat are raised. I buy local and organic whenever possible, but it is tough. I'm sure most of the beef I eat comes from stockyards and the chicken houses raise most of my poultry, but those conditions are not perfect for raising the food we eat (and I live within 2 miles of 15 poultry houses so I've seen the turkeys collapse because their legs can't support that weight). A 16 lb frozen turkey ain't normal!!

I do what I can and I don't mind spending a little more to do so. My eggs come from a local farmer and I eat a lot of game meats. It might kill me too, so I don't worry about all that too much.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Makes sense to me.I never really worried about anything much, but then again I never thought I would live this long.Guess I'm gonna hafta start thinkin about it! :( Just like the old saying..."If I'da known I was gonna make it this far,I'da took better care of myself"! :unsure:
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Ken.
    People really do have a tendency to worry about stuff. I like Tom Petty's line "most of what I worry about doesn't happen anyway".

You can cook at high temps and char meat in the kitchen as well. As has been said, you make the choices, do what you're comfortable with. The word moderation works with most things we worry about.

Bottom line, nobody really knows.

Happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Oh Sh!t I love my chaired burgers. :unsure:
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    If you cook stomach cancer till it's well done..the danger is gone.eat it up..and this is not OT as long as you cooked it on the egg....otherwise..it sure as hell is OT..
  • When someone finds a way to alleviate the levels of stress that many of us endure from street freaks and work place irritants, I'll gladly reconsider alternative past times to smoking a pork butt and indulging in a scotch and soda. ;)
  • Wes, I'm a newbie....what's OT?
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
  • Well, this is OT, too.....but thanks so much for helping this newbie. Just got my BGE......been grilling on "brand x" for many, many years and my wife surprised me with a large BGE this Christmas. Just learning the lingo on the site and loving every minute of learning from Eggheads. This really is a fun past time that I wish I would have begun long ago. But, better late than never. Thanks again, friend.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    I think the person who asked worries too much.
  • Seems like every enjoyable past time today has its risks......but, then again, so does waking up in the morning.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    somethings gotta kill you, ill take stomach cancer from great grilled food, others choose brain tumors from cell phones and microwave ovens, its their choice :whistle: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Studies show that experiments cause cancer in rats. :lol:

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    My favorite response to stuff like this is to refer to my grandfather from New Orleans. He died of stomach cancer and to his last day he knew for sure that his trip to India and all that "Indian spiced food" is what caused it.

The more things progress the more we realize that the "experts" don't know nearly as much as they pretend to. Do you know anybody that smoked cigarettes their entire lives and then quit and a month later they dropped dead...without a drop of cancer in their bodies? I know of 2 off the top of my head.