Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT/Cookie Dough

Options
Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had some cookie dough in the fridge (mollasses) for almost 2 weeks. Do you think it's still okay? There are eggs in the dough.

Comments

• chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Options
    I'll bet it's fine.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I would say probably not. Most things I see say to use an egg within two days after the shell is cracked.
  • chocdoc
    Options
    I make a muffin batter with eggs that can spend a week or two in the fridge and still be baked off.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    I did some internet searching and came up with anywhere from 1 month to 3 months!!! So I'm baking cookies. If you never hear back from me...
  • Fidel
    Options
    Most stuff I read in a brief cursory search says that once the shell and the inner membrane are breached the egg contents are susceptible to bacteria.

Add to that the sugar content of the dough and they have plenty of food.....personal decision to be sure, but I'd say if there is a chance of salmonella I wouldn't want to eat it. And I'm one of the most liberal "I'd still eat it" guys on this forum.

In this case for a couple bucks worth of dough and a few minutes of work to mix it up - I can't say it makes sense to risk it.
  • Fidel
    Options
    1-3 months on cracked eggs? Well, looks like my search wasn't very thorough then. Carry on and ignore me.

I apologize if I misled you.
  • chocdoc
    Options
    Perhaps if you were going to eat the cookie dough raw then the salmonella might be an issue - but they will be baked which should eliminate the risk.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    :laugh: Gwen, I have no idea what the right answer is... but I like your style! :laugh:

Hope to see you here again soon!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fidel
    Options
    And for what it's worth:

from joyofbaking.com - "Once cracked, eggs will keep in the refrigerator a couple of days if tightly sealed."

from the WA Board of Health - "The shell is the egg's first defense against contamination. Do not buy or eat eggs with cracked shells. If you crack the shell, either prepare the egg or break it into a clean container and refrigerate it. Use within 2 days. "

From Canadian Partnership for Consumer Food Safety Education - "Cracked eggs will keep in the refrigerator for four days"

And from the US FDA - "Bacteria can enter eggs through cracks in the shell. Never purchase cracked eggs. However, if eggs crack on the way home from the store, break them into a clean container, cover it tightly, keep refrigerated, and use within 2 days."

Your call, but personally, I'd still shy away.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Eggs are actually safe much longer than the sellby date.

As long as temps are fine, there's no reason to assume anything bad is going on. Yeast would grow at the same temps as bacteria, and it's not fermenting is it?

I don't see an issue other than 'not knowing', which is guesswork itself

I'd be fine with it
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante