Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perforated Aluminum Pizza Peel

Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have one of these? Are they worth the price? I have a couple of cheapo wooden ones that I've had for years, but wondered if the perforations made any significant difference. Supposedly, just a little flour and no cornmeal is all you need and the holes let you knock most of the excess flour off before you slide the pizza onto the stone.

Yes, great product?
No, a waste of money?

What say you?

GI%20Rect%20Perf%20Peel.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Dreggs
    Dreggs Posts: 147
    Do you play racquetball?
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    I prefer wood however there is no limit to how many toys you can have in your collection! Go for it!
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Carolina Q
    Yeah, I like wood stuff too. Just wondering if anyone had used one of these and whether 'much thinner than wood could ever hope to be' plus (especially) the perforations, were a good idea. Extra toys are always nice, but these are rather expensive!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I use a solid metal at work. Quite easy to slide under pizza, and also for turning the za in the oven. Never have used a wood peel.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Carolina Q
    I know of this guy in Minnesooota who maybe could make you one. :laugh: :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I say no on the holes. If you can get one with a short handle and no holes in the peel. You set the peel on the counter top and sprinkle some corn meal on it and flatten out your pizza dough on it and make your pizza. Then when your stone is hot shake the pizza off the peel onto the hot stone. :)
  • Carolina Q
    Thanks, Tim. Was trying to figure out a way not to have to use cornmeal. Don't like to cook 'em on parchment or pizza screens either. Sigh...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Looks like a huge fly swatter, do you have a super peel yet?
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    I believe Fred carries something very similar...if not the same.

Maybe he'll see this post.
  • Carolina Q
    Nope. No super peel for me.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I have a couple aluminum peels without holes, I prefer them to the wood ones. -RP

pizza.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    Thanks, Randy. Those are certainly less expensive than the perforated ones. Pizza looks good too!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Seems to me the holes will catch the dough when trying to slid it off. Now an issue when taking the pizza off. I'd stick with a wood solid.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I don't have one - but I want to wade in on the opinion poll part of this thread along with a helpful suggestion. I much prefer my metal peel for placement and removal from the BGE. OTOH I prefer my wooden peel to cut on and serve from. One word of caution though with a metal peel it tends to let a pizza - especially a baked one - slide off easier than a wooden one. You need a good grip so what I did was to add an inexpensive golf club handle wrap. It really does the trick!
    IMG_01171.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Ron, I wish I had one of those. I have a wooden peel and don't get me wrong I like it but, I used it once and it warped. We didn't even put in water simply wiped it off. :angry: No worries it will still work it's just a little cupped.
  • Carolina Q
    Tim, I've had two wooden peels ever since I read an article in a 1996 issue of Fine Cooking magazine on how to cook pizza on a Weber (cook one side of the dough, flip, add toppings to cooked side, cook the other side). Not bad pizza, but not traditional pizza!! Anyway, it's easier with two peels, so I bought two peels. :)

I don't recall where I got them, but amazingly enough, neither one has ever warped! They are pine, I think, but definitely not hardwood. I clean by running water over them in the sink and scrubbing with one of those green scrubby things, and soap of course. I dry them immediately, but I know they suck up some of the water. I have never oiled them with anything. Somehow, both are still dead flat after 14 years.

If your peel is just cupped as opposed to twisted, you might try this idea. I've read of it many times, but have never needed to try it. Scroll down to posts 6 and 7. Can't hurt - it's only a peel! :)

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=5012791&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Sure doesn't look like it catches in the videos I've seen. But if there's a way, I'll probably find it! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Good idea, Ron. My wooden peel handle is rectangular, not round. Hadn't thought of that. So far, the only pizza I've dropped was the deep dish in a CI pan. Got halfway from the egg to the kitchen and realized I should have used more than just welder's gloves! My floor looked like a Jackson Pollock! Presentation wasn't pretty, but I ate it anyway! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks, Michael. I should probably explain a bit more - the handle on my metal peel is round and 12" long. Of that though the first 4" is 100% metal and is very slippery! Since I find I choke up on the handle for balance and control and was holding those 4" I started the wrap there. If you look closely you can see the indention up to where the wood begins.
    IMG_1989.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Not a big fan of holes. I can see no reason for them other than to trap loose dough and drop flour through.

I like the one RRP posted. But I'm happy with my Epicurean peel. It's composite and not wood but it is quite thin and stores very easy. If you are like me and have to take the pizza from the kitchen then those holes are going to drop flour/corn meal onto your floor.

IMG00303-20110118-1303.jpg

IMG00304-20110118-1304.jpg

IMG00306-20110118-1304.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    BigBadger wrote:
    ......have to take the pizza from the kitchen then those holes are going to drop flour/corn meal onto your floor.

Well there's a possibility I hadn't considered! You are probably right... with this thing, I might have flour all the way to the back door - instead of just a 5' circle around where I'm building the pies! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut