Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Did you light the egg yet?

BBQRBBQR Posts: 68
edited 3:17AM in EggHead Forum
OOPS,

FrozenEgg.jpg

Actually I was luck this time, the egg still opened.

A few weeks ago it was completely frozen shut. I place two fire starters down in the lower vent and took off the lid. The firestarters lit the remaining lump from the prior cook and twenty minutes later the lid opened.

I don't know what was going on with the sideways icicle in the lower left.
·

Comments

• WWSisWWSis Posts: 1,448
    Yikes! I have the day off and was hoping to do a cook, buts it's -10 here :( So I'm gonna have to pass!
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,168
    I am so glad I live in Texas :ohmy:
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • BigBadgerBigBadger Posts: 461
    -10° is cold.... brrrr... on another note. Is that the Plastic spacer still on your hinge?

BGE%202011-01-17_083738.jpg
    ·
  • BBQRBBQR Posts: 68
    I leave them on for possible transport. Is that a no-no? Still has white tie wrap around it holding it in place too.
    ·
  • GandolfGandolf Posts: 878
    Only a little skim ice here, tuff walking though!!

38dd6016.jpg
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,008
    Why would you need them for transport? They are to be removed, per assembly instructions. No idea what happens if you leave them on.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • BigBadgerBigBadger Posts: 461
    Well they are only there to prevent the hinge from slapping open on the owner before final assembly. I suppose it's a good idea to have them handy in case you need to take off the lid/band. I would have thought they might melt on a good high heat pizza cook though. I have mine taped under the bottom of my table top in case I need to remove the lid.
    ·