Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Why buy mayo?

Boilermaker BenBoilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited 10:35AM in EggHead Forum
Generally, my answer to that would be "because I don't like it". However, I was making chicken-in-a-pita sandwiches for dinner last night, and wanted to add a buffalo chicken option for our guests. So I whipped up a batch of mayo, substituting hot sauce for the acid component. It took 3 minutes, used only ingredients everyone should have at home (with the possible exception of lemon, if that's the acid you're using), and probably cost less than 50 cents for a little more than a cup of mayo.

Ruhlman's recipe
1 egg yolk (room temperature, preferably)
1 Tablespoon of water (or preferably 1 teaspoon of water, 2 teaspoons of an acid, like lemon juice)
1/2 teaspon of salt
whisk to combine then begin streaming in 1 cup of oil in a slow steady stream, while whisking constantly. That's it...really.

Sorry for the lack of pics. I was cooking for a crowd, and running late. The pitas were egged, and were wonderful. Chicken breast, butterflied, Dizzy Dust, direct grill over a bed of lava. All was received well, especially the buffalo mayo.
·

Comments

• jeffinsgfjeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    I made aioli Saturday night, and thought the same thing, except I do like mayo. When the jar in the refrigerator is gone, that will be the last of the store bought mayo.
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,476
    Definitely on my to try list... thanks!! Just added lemons to my shopping list. :) What kind of oil did you use? I just looked at the ingredients list on my jar of store bought and they use soybean oil.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • Plain old vegetable oil is what I used. Mayo can be widely varied with different oils (like olive oil for aioli), acids, or by adding other ingredients (herbs, spices, aromatics, etc).
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,476
    Thanks. Time to experiment!
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • or isn't there one?
    thanks
    bill
    ·
  • Aioli is made with olive oil, and flavored with garlic. Egg is not always used as the emulsifier, sometimes mustard is used, and sometimes just the garlic. I suspect that aioli is just as varied as mayo is, but I think garlic is a defining ingredient. I could be wrong about that.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    bill,

Garlic and olive oil in aioli.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    Ben,

You are right about the emulsifier. Sometimes it is stale bread as well.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    garlic, i think. but i dunno
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • thanks for the education.
    i am thinking aioli on a blt with homemde bacon garden lettuce and tomato come summer
    ·
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    if you have a food processor or a blender they work great too. use the lowest setting. I like to whisk but for a first time the blender frees up your hands. and have every thing pre measured when it happens it happens fast!
    ·
  • jeffinsgfjeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Oooh, man! That sounds good. As I learned it, the garlic is the difference. In fact, a lot of recipes simply have you mix garlic in mayonnaise and call it aoili.

I used 2/3 pure (not extra virgin) olive oil and 1/3 extra virgin. The EVOO gives more flavor, but might be a little over-powering and definitely more expensive if used alone. Let your egg set out at room temp for a few hours before you make it. Helps the emulsion come together.
    ·