Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Why buy mayo?

Boilermaker BenBoilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Generally, my answer to that would be "because I don't like it". However, I was making chicken-in-a-pita sandwiches for dinner last night, and wanted to add a buffalo chicken option for our guests. So I whipped up a batch of mayo, substituting hot sauce for the acid component. It took 3 minutes, used only ingredients everyone should have at home (with the possible exception of lemon, if that's the acid you're using), and probably cost less than 50 cents for a little more than a cup of mayo.

Ruhlman's recipe
1 egg yolk (room temperature, preferably)
1 Tablespoon of water (or preferably 1 teaspoon of water, 2 teaspoons of an acid, like lemon juice)
1/2 teaspon of salt
whisk to combine then begin streaming in 1 cup of oil in a slow steady stream, while whisking constantly. That's it...really.

Sorry for the lack of pics. I was cooking for a crowd, and running late. The pitas were egged, and were wonderful. Chicken breast, butterflied, Dizzy Dust, direct grill over a bed of lava. All was received well, especially the buffalo mayo.

Comments