Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Green Egg vs. Primo Kamodo

Options
mrsroasting
mrsroasting Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going back and forth here guys. I believe the main difference right now is the amount of accessories and the biggest is that the Kamodo does not have an indirect heating plate. Do you know if the Plate fits the Kamodo from the Large BGE? Anyone know of someone with a BGE in or around SC, NC for Sale for a good price Large or XL? Thanks!

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    mrsroasting, Welcome to the forum. I don't know if the Plate fits the Kamodo from the Large BGE. You may check Craigslist or other listings for the egg but, be aware the BGE has a nontransferable lifetime warranty so, buyer beware. Tim
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    How good is the Primo forum?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    mrsroasting,

Does Primo call their round a "Kamado"? The round is about the same as a large. If I were in your position I would be comparing the ovalJR to the large.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookingdude555
    Options
    I am member over there. Seems a lot like this one, a good group of people.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    What are the pros of the Primo ? What about the warranty ? If you are looking for used price should not be the only factor. Did you "ask" on their Forum what to do and if so did you get a quick response as you did here ?
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    The main difference is that Eggheads are Family! Nuff said!
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Little Steven
    Options
    John,

So am I. It has slowed down in the last few years but some really good folks over there

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Options
    You are asking on the Egg Head forum...I will say it since no one else has...GET AN EGG...you will not be dissappointed. Best buy I have made in YEARS!!!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Yeeessss I am!!!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Buy an egg from a local dealer...tomorrow... it will change your life.....FOREVER!
    You can thank me at an eggfest one day :)
  • jurisdoc
    Options
    Lifetime warranty on egg, 20 year on Primo. That and my local dealer will help me with whatever I need.

Never even seen a primo but I can tell you my xl egg is the best Christmas present ever. Although I think my wife has pulled the ultimate con, as the oven hasn't been on in a month!
  • mrsroasting
    Options
    I have received responses on both forums. The JR is a smaller layout although stackable and has the fire box divider, etc. which is nice.

I'm still looking for answers as to whether the BGE stuff works on the Primo. Someone over there said it does. I think they are pretty much the same deal but the Kamodo new is $150 less. I do like the Egg Head culture a little better! :unsure:
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Same. Best Christmas present ever! And this forum is very kind and generous. Being an Egghead must be worth the extra 150.00
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Susan,

Gotta get you on the Classic View. :ermm:
  • Ripnem
    Options
    mrsroasting,

When's the next Primo Fest? :huh:

Not sure what part of the country you're in but my dealer treats all my referal quite nicely. B) Also have a small egghead gathering in northern MN next month. :)
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    What is wrong with flat view?
  • Ozarkshooter
    Options
    I have a good friend that has the oval Primo. He loves it. I love my XL and Med. To each his own.

When he does indirect, he doesn't need a platesetter or other stone. He uses the divider and puts his food on other other side from the fire. Two problems I see in this: 1) your food will always have a hotspot on the side facing the fire; and 2) you have effectively cut your grill space in half when cooking indirect.

I don't know about you, but on a low n slow, I don't want to be turning the meat constantly to avoid the hotspot. And I like to load up the grill - so half the space would be a deal killer for me.

Now, when he is grilling burgers or steaks, its comparable.

Overall, the Primos are good quality cookers. I just think the design of the BGE is the best.

Good luck.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Nothing except when you post in that view it doesn't always (almost never) shows up, (in classic view) under the proper person.

I use flat view once in a while to view posts that don't branch off (in classic view)
    like a happy birthday thread. I can read them all without a click-fest. but to respond to a specific person and have it read that way, again in classic view. I will always use classic view to make that post.

Hope that isn't too confusing. :S and it's not that if I do it then you should do it too, but more so that everyone knows who you're talking to. If that matters. :P
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    http://raleigh.craigslist.org/hsh/2161977005.html

That is what was on the Raleigh CL the other day. I got a chuckle out of it. I think he feels the BGE is pure WIN!!!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    How many Primofests are there around the US, Canada & in Europe. It isn't only about price or eggcessories. It is about support & camarederie and the BGE wins hands down.. :)
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    I guess it is just what you get used to. I find it easier to just read straight & not click on each response. Sorry, I bored you with my 2 cents. :(
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    susan, i don't think adam is bored with your opinion. he's just trying to explain that when someone reads in flat view, and does not "quote" the person they are replying to, their posts can seem to be schizophrenic to everyone else. for example...

ripnem called steven a tramp. steven said "Yeeessss I am!!!"

your reply directly to steven (in 'classic view', your reply is to steven alone), was "Buy an egg from a local dealer...tomorrow... it will change your life.....FOREVER!"

for those of us used to classic view, 'flat view' replies are popping in all over the place.

in other "flat view" forums, most people will quote the person they are replying to so there is no confusion.

it is easier to see every reply in flat view without opening them, but that's at the loss of any continuity.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Jeff, Here in my basement sitting in front of my desk top computer I view the forum in classic view it also says threaded view to the right. I have always had it this way but, I have learned I don't always know who is talking to whom. So what I do is look at the date and time stamp then quickly go back to the forum and look to see whatever and go from there.

Recently we purchased a new laptop. Better yet one that is wireless. Now I view the forum from anywhere in or around the house. Getting to my point I view the forum in threaded view and flat view next to it from the laptop. I am getting use to it this way and like it better. I can see who is talking to whom. I do refresh often because if it is a post where there is a lot of cross talking I understand better what is going on.

I'm not saying this to inform you of anything I'm just saying. ;)
  • stike
    Options
    whatever works. i was just trying to let her know that he wasn't tryna be an ass, it seriously looks to those of us in "classic view" that some people have lost their minds when posting. :laugh:

i prefer classic for my own reasons. mainly, i can see a post which has a sub-conversation by two people i might be interested in. i can follow their discussion without reading every single post in the entire hierarchy.
  • stike
    Options
    [here's an example to confuse the flat-viewers.]

you are an idiot. :laugh:
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Stike,

You're right. wasn't at all tryin to be a jerk. Just figure that those doing it are usually new and don't know any better. but she's not new. with a nest like hers she should know better. :laugh: I don't really give a hoot, it's just the 'fixer' in me. B)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Never mind. :blush:

My bad :pinch:
  • stike
    Options
    Nope. But I damn well know what I know. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I'm sure you do. My mouse got away from me. My remark was suppose to go in Stevens post like yours did. :blush: