Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Travel Smoker

Options
407BGE
407BGE Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I like many have traveled with an egg but frankly its not very easy to move. I saw this idea on another site and built one for $56. Its works great as a travel smoker but does not get hot enough for grill indirect as does the egg.

1zxbh9c.jpg
Smoky Joe Silver

2lu5m61.jpg
Smoke Chamber

25tcoeu.jpg
With the Tamale Pot

t5rk2u.jpg
Painted

$20 - Smokey Joe
$18 - Tamale Pot (32 quart from Walmart, MUST made in china)
$5 - thermometer(walmart)
$3 - terracota plate(10")
$8 - replacement grill for smokey joe
$2 - misc nuts & bolts

$56 total

Works like a charm for smoking ABT's etc. Mine runs at 250 dome and can get it to 300 dome but no higher as there is not enough airflow. Might work on this with an extra vent on the bottom.

Comments

• WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01367a.jpg

Try using a plant stand, they are sturdier than the OEM legs and the additional height (and I just put the ash pan on the ground) will give you better air flow.

I've seen that same mod you did, and it's clever.... I believe that Cajun Bandit has an extension on the drawing board right now for the Smokey Joe.. They are the folks that make one for the 22" Weber, and it has a little door like a WSM so you can add charcoal.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Nice work! I have had my tamale pot for almost a year now, but haven't gotten around to converting my SJS yet. I am going to Vegas next month for a week (staying in a rented house), and I don't want to bring an egg. This is motivation to get my mini WSM complete. I have been waiting for the Cajun bandit add on cause I am lazy, but it appears so are they.