Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wagyu Prime Rib

Options
boston_stoker
boston_stoker Posts: 794
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,

I have a 15 lbs Wagyu Prime Rib in the freezer that I got from Costco a while back when they had a 33% off sale.

Despite my post count, I would still consider a beginner with the Egg, ok maybe an advanced beginner. I have cooked a number of things (mainly chicken, burgers, and steaks) on it, but I am still uneasy at times. I also have not cooked a turkey or prime rib yet, and my pizzas are just average although I blame that on having to use almond flour.

Anyway, for the dry-age'rs on the forum, do you think I should try to dry age this? Are there any books or websites you recommend I read to get smart on this? I probably will first try to dry age something smaller and cheaper before I try this expensive hunk of meat.

Also, if I cut this large cut of meat into "steaks", would I then have a common cut of steak, like a ribeye or porterhouse or does prime rib come from a different part of the cow?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you have a ribeye subprimal, from the rib primal (i believe thatr's the breakdown... thirdeye? you here?).

cut into steaks with the bone, they'd be bone-in rib eye steaks. if (boneless), they're called 'rib steaks' or 'rib eye steaks'. some call these a "delmonico", but that isn't a real cut, it's a name people apply to any number of steaks. some say just he first steak from the chuck end is the "delmonico", for example. others say a delmonico is any rib eye steak.

age it? hmmmm. i'll say this: you CAN age it, and pretty easily. ignore 99% of what you read on the web. it's all the same posting from 1996 that has been bastardized. there is NO NEED AT ALL for towels. they do nothing for you, and can cause trouble.

but before you get into doing it, i would buy a dry-aged steak first. you may not notice the difference yet, or you may not care for it, or the 'look' may freak out you or your guests.

i personally would age it, but i would suggest you wait on another piece of meat. not because it is dangerous and it could "go wrong" (very hard for it to go bad, really0, but because you may lose your nerve and not want to eat it, thinking you may have done something wrong or wondering if you can tell if it is "bad".

your problem is that the whole thing is frozen, though. when it thaws, there's no way you'll be eating it all at once, so you will likely be cutting off a roast or two, and a bunch of steaks, and refreezing. refreezing meat is generally a no-no, but it won't be ruined or turn to mush. it's just generally not a good habit, because the meat can be damaged by repeated freezing/thawing/freezing. dangerous? no. it's a quality issue.

if you have read this far... me? i would cut it into a couple roasts and steaks. eat some steaks. freeze one roast, and the rest of the steaks. and then dry age the smaller roast. slap a little cooking oil on both cut ends and stick a piece of plastic wrap on those ends, so they don't dry too quickly. let it go a couple weeks. 21 days if you can. if that makes you nervous, then all the better reason not to age the whole thing. but eating some fresh while aging a hunk will also let you see the difference.

there is no need to trim a thing off the aged meat. it will soften and become a nice crisp crust, beefier than anything you can imagine.

if you have questions about dry aging, shoot me an email thru the forum and i'll try to help. there are lots of opinions about aging, and i'd rathr just send you mine separately. in the end, it is very simple. it was never supposed to be complicated, and warnings about moisture levels are red-herrings. it is all about temps. too cold, and the aging slows, too warm, and you have funky meat.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • boston_stoker
    Options
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    One thing to be careful of is the high fat content in marbeling that makes it a wonderful beef. Cooking too long or too high is like frying ice cream. The fat renders out and you lose the high quality. I'd recommend a quick sear then a slower cook to seal in all that goodness. Waygu is often served in Japan in very thin slices dipped into simmering broth, shabu shabu style. I don't know if they actually roast large cuts. Enjoy every bite. I know it is very expensive.