Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone use the High Heat Gasket?

Options
Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil Posts: 669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am due for a gasket change. I have the felt gasket in hand, then discovered the Nomex High Heat gaslet from the Mothership. I ordered it and am waiting on delivery. Before I put one or the other on, I thought I would see if the new Nomex model lives up to its hype!

Uncle Phil

Comments

• TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    I haven't done pizzas lately, but my dealer put them on both of my eggs labor free at least a year ago. I bought the gaskets from the mothership and my dealer installed them. I've Trexed steaks and several other high temp cooks with not a problem. I'd say go a head and do it. There are only two other options I'm aware of. The Rutland gasket and no gasket.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The nomex gasket is much better than the original. I did 700 plus degree cooks several times and had no problems until I did a pizza. I got the egg to 500 and set the egg up for a pizza and came back 20-30 minutes later to put the pizza on the egg and the gasket had melted and almost stuck my egg shut. I now have a Rutland gasket on my eggs and no issues.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Love my Rutland. RRP can set you up.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I think a few folks use a Coltronics gasket.Pork Butt Mike has one or more I know.They are self adhesive.Frank from Houma made a jig and put pure HiTemp Utra Copper silicone permatex on a couple of his,bottom only.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Do you have Rutland on the top and the bottom of your Large Egg? I was wondering if it would end up being too thick to close properly. I have it on the bottom only on the Small.

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • Uncle Phil
    Options
    Thanks. Interesting info. I use to fly Hot Air Balloons and the skirt around the mouth of the envelope was Nomex. I hit that with my burner a few time and did not damage it. That was about 30K BTU, so I figure it would hold up to an Egg.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    bottom only. large and mini.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I have the same dealer as Ray ( the great folks at ChimChimneys in League City!) and they installed nomex on both of my Eggs about two years ago (no charge). No problems so far. I have taken them up to 650 to 700 fairly often Trexing.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I've had one on my large for well over a year..so far it's holding up well.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Yes. I installed it, no big deal. Frankly I wish I had just left the burnt out gasket on my egg...too much hub bub about new gaskets. My egg has to be adjusted now after two years with no gasket I can't get it to shut down now, using TONS of lump. Hindsight...I would NOT change my gasket, I sure won't in the future again. But Yes, in answer to your question, I used the high heat gasket from the dealer.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • WessB
    Options
    Thanks, but I didn't ask......sounds like you need to do the dollar bill test and make some adjustments...no way a good gasket will use more lump than no gasket "unless" the bands aren't set properly..
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I got a woven gasket from an appliance store. The same kind that seals a self cleaning oven. Put it on with ultra copper and it's perfect. It was about $25.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    or the plane of either his dome or his base are wavy due to inferior finishing of either the green ware(which unfired ceramic is called) or after firing then the plane of either or both isn't perfected by even a very simple and inexpensive means. I always laugh when people say they never need a gasket - those folks just don't realize they are the lucky ones! I think of gaskets as being like trim molding in a home...they cover up the imperfections in the building process!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cagey
    Cagey Posts: 86
    Options
    Get the Rutland gasket from RRP on the forum. He can set you up with the right length gasket for your egg mailed directly to your home. Plus, he will answer any stupid questions you might have. Also, you only need the Rutland gasket on the bottom of the egg. On the top, you just remove the old gasket, and let the ceramic touch the the Rutland gasket on the bottom. I only had to slightly adjust the band when I installed the new gasket.

To get the old gasket off, I just scrapped most of it off just after cooking pizzas, using a flat metal grill scrapper. The original gasket was pretty burned up after my third cook when I did a pizza at 550, and subsequent cooks. The next day, there was not much left at all, so I used a pumice stone and some alcohol to clean up the edges. Then follow the instructions from RRP and install the Rutland gasket. Wait 24 hours and you are ready to cook. Hope this helps.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    passed the dollar bill test, bands are square, bolts all tight...have been using BGE lump instead of my regular brand, but I don't remember it cooking up so much. The wind has been blowing 15 MPH most weekends the past few weeks, which is different for sure.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • WessB
    Options
    My large definately suffers from those imperfections...I still believe..even if the 2 surfaces were perfectly true, a gasket would still seal better..
  • WessB
    Options
    LOL..I don't think you need to tell RRP this....gotta be flat view.
  • WessB
    Options
    Well..if the dollar bill test was good than your seal is not an issue..not sure how much the wind can impact usage...certainly it can affect temps...hope you find an answer.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Jeez, I hope your burner put out more than 30K BTU, LOL! My firefly put out 22,000,000. My gas stove's largest burner puts out 55K.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Uncle Phil
    Options
    You know, Whiz. I think you are right (as usual). It has been a long time since I had the balloons. Firefly AX6B and 9B if I remember. At any rate, the Nomex skirt took a blast or two during a high wind inflation and hung in there. I forget you were an aeronaut. What Barnes did you fly?