Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hysterical from research

Trouble
Trouble Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is a riot! So I have purchased my 4.5 lb butt. I thought I'd glance through prior posts related to duration of cook. Some people like 2 hours per lb as a rule of thumb. With that, I'd probably wait until tomorrow morning and start it early. I was thinking butt on at 8, ready to pull from fire around 5, wrapped for a couple hours and we'd eat around 7. [p]Some posts say that even the wimpy little butts go 16 or 18 hours.[p]That would be bad news if I start at 8 a.m.[p]Should I put it in late tonight and just keep it warm or reheat it or is 8 tomorrow morning a pretty sound approach.[p]Thanks all--I swear this is the last topic for me! I'll probable turn this poor little computer off for the next three days.

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Trouble,[p]For a rule of thumb, 1 1/2 to 2 hrs/lb is what I've always figgered. Being a smaller butt, it probably will cook faster. You don't mention temp, but that affects the time also.[p]I'd allow for the longer time because you don't mention what nearly everyone advises - that is to wrap it up and put in a cooler before pulling. This can be an hour or up to about 5 hours (being conservative here!). That gives you a lot of latitude for when you serve it.
  • Pakak
    You DID mention wrapping! Be aware it can be even longer than a couple hours.
  • Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Trouble,[p]You're probably safe putting it on no later than 8am. It should finish by 5 or 6. If it gets to 5pm and the meat temp isn't over 185, you can up the temp to 275 or maybe wrap it in foil too?
  • Trouble,
    You're going to find that everyone has their own special way of fixing butts. Not only that, once you have your own method down the cook times can vary by hours. We've had ours go from 16 - 20 hours (or something like that). So, I'll chime in on this handy bit of advice (at least I hope it helps). We've been able to keep butts warm for over 6 hours using the wrap in foil, then a towel and place in the cooler method. I don't mean just warm - I mean too hot to hold - steam still coming out of the meat. So, you're better off cooking it earlier and letting it sit rather than waiting for it to be done. There's nothing worse than a bunch of hungry people staring at the egg waiting to eat. Of course that's just my opinion. Good Luck! Let us know how it turns out.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Trouble,[p]Just to shake your world a bit.... I'd go back to the store and get 2 butts, about 8 pounds a piece, and put them on around 9 or 10pm tonight.
    They will be ready by dinner at 7.
    Whatever's left over can be frozen for another day. [p]If you don't want to do that, the meat from your 4.5 pounder will be much better if you pull after a rest and serve fresh... I would avoid cooling and reheating if you can. [p]To answer your question.... I'd put the 4.5 on no later than 6am Sat. morn. Good luck.[p]John

• Trouble
    Eggsellent,
    Indeed...that's my problem; I can't sort out the research because everybody's different methods and experiences have yielded such different times. [p]OK. I'm going to get the cooler ready and prepare to keep that guy hot in there for as long as it takes. I'm not experimenting on a crowd, just family, so it seems like the worst that could happen is that we'll have PP for lunch instead of dinner. What a tragedy...then I'd have to do some steaks or something for dinner. With an ABT appetizer from the PP. Hmmm...this is starting to shape up quite nicely. My butt's going on late tonight.[p]Thanks again, everybody, for enduring my eager questions.[p]Joyce

• Trouble,[p]I always (the 5 months I've been doing this) thought that you let the meat tell ya when it's done. Once it hits the 160-170 internal temp, turn the heat up to 300 until the meat hits 190-205 for pulling. I tend to do it the day before as I think it tastes better when it sits in the frig overnight.[p]Howard

• Pakak
    Trouble,[p]Quit obsessing. LOL I tell ya, it's pretty hard to screw up a butt. I haven't yet. This coming from someone who probably has screwed up just about every other cut at least once, including steak. Easy peasy as some here say.
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Trouble,[p]I hardly ever do an overnighter with butts anymore. Get that little critter on by about 6 am. Stabilize the egg at around 250° and just let 'er cook until it reaches close to 200°. If it's done too early for your dinner plans, then wrap in foil, then wrap in a towel (one you don't care if it gets grease on it), and then into a cooler until you're ready for it (again, one you don't care will smell like pork butt forever). [p]I've never been one to advocate cranking the cooker up to 300° when you reach 160°. I just keep it at 250°'ish the whole time. My understanding is that when the pork is between 160° and 180° it is in the breaking down of collagen stage and you want to KEEP it in that range as long as possible to get the best results.[p]Just another opinion for ya!
    Tonia
    :~)

• QBabe,[p]Great post and right on target with raising the temp near the end of the cook. Low and slow cooking is best done at around 250 degrees measured at the cooking grid and when it is raised near the end of the cook, you will loose a bunch of moisture. Higher temps at this time pulls any remaining moisture to the surface of the meat where it will run off and be lost. [p]Dave

• Trouble
    Old Dave and Tonya,[p]Thanks, I'm going to do it overnight just because I'm an eager first timer. And 6 a.m. is pretty early, even for me. But it will definitely get to coast easy on up to 200 and then go in a cooler. I'm thinking lunch, now. And good appetizers for dinner...[p]Good weekend to ya!
    Joyce