Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T-Rex and plate setter

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have never seen this discussed before but I have started using my plate setter for the "dwell" period. I find it has two advantages. First, I don't worry about overcooking the outside. I make sure I have just the right sear in the first stage and then know I won't add any more sear to it during the dwell. Second, adding the plate setter helps bring down the Egg's temp. If I have the luxury of the full 20 minute rest then this does not matter, but sometimes I am pressed for time and the Egg is still pretty hot when I want to put the steaks back on.

Anyway, this seems so obvious but it appears nobody else seems to do it. Is there a downside to my approach?

I am also surprised how few people use a remote temp probe during the dwell. I know the slight stick of the probe does let some juice out. However, I find that to be very slight and worth the precision of knowing EXACTLY when to pull the steaks - 125 for me, 128 for Mrs Skihorn, 132 for the kids.

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The theory behind the rest period is that it is not primarily to allow the reduction of temperature of the egg. The reason you wait 20 minutes is to allow the meat to relax from the shock of the initial sear, resulting in a more tender piece of meat. T-Rex posted the method here and (if memory serves) he was taught this method by one of the line cooks or chefs at a top notch steakhouse in Houston - I think it was Pappas but I'm not sure on that one.

The theory (I say theory because I don't think anyone has ever published any results or studies on this) is that the cold meat hits the super hot grill and the muscle fibers contract from that shock. After the brief sear on both sides taking the meat away from the heat allows those muscles fibers to relax. You then put the warmer meat over a more moderate temperature and the fibers don't constrict again.

I do like your idea of the remote probe during the dwell period to avoid the dreaded "oh crap" when you overshoot your temp by a few degrees. It also prevents multiple sticks with a probe. Like stike always points out, the meat isn't like a water balloon so a tiny little hole isn't going to let out all the moisture. Think of it more like poking a needle into a sponge.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    its better than just grilling it, i do what your doing if i want to sear stove top and finish in the oven. i like the trex method better though on the egg. better color through the meat and its more tender.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • skihorn
    Options
    Fidel: Yes, you are correct on the theory. I try to always wait the suggested 20 minutes in which case there is no problem in having it down to temp. However, sometimes, especially on a week day when I didn't start the cook until later, the family is clamoring for food and I wait considerably less than the full 20 minutes. In those instances the plate setter is helpful in getting it down to 400 more quickly.

By the way, you are also correct that the chef that was cited for the theory on the dwell was a chef at Pappas Brothers - a very well respected restaurant chain based here in Houston.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Fidel
    Options
    If you're in a rush, assuming someone is home to start the steaks in the hot water, then why not hot tub it? I think that method makes a better steak, at least for my tastes.
  • skihorn
    Options
    Fidel: That is a good suggestion. Of course, what usually happens is that I don't plan on being behind until it is too late. In other words, I am already in the rest when I look at the time and the hungry faces!

Freddie
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I agree - on the hot tub approach! Beats the T-Rex hassle with ease and better results. I've got two 1.75" NY strip steaks cut from a primal aged 35 days getting ready for a "bath" tonight!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    Being in TX you probably don't have to worry about thermal shock but up here I'd be afraid to pop my 0° plate sitter into an searing temp inferno.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I just knocked the snow and ice off mine and put it into a 450* egg about 45 minutes ago.

No issues.

Yet.
  • RRP
    Options
    yeah - but nothing you own would give you any lip! :whistle:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    never ever ever let a salad maker make you cook a steak incorrectly, who cares if the salads wilted :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ive been slowly converting everyone to my time table. thats MY TIMETABLE :woohoo:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • skihorn
    Options
    RRP: No, I don't worry about thermal shock for two reasons. First, tonight feels really cold because it is in the low 50's and raining! (We're wimps down here.) Second, I don't put the plate setter in until I am putting the steak back on. Even in a rushed situation the Egg has cooled down to 500 or so. Putting the cold plate setter brings it on down to the recommended 400.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Wouldn't a pizza stone work just as well?

Judy
    Judy in San Diego