Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket

Primeggister1
Primeggister1 Posts: 379
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I see alot of Eggheads with Rutland gaskets out there, i have one question...Any of you have any problems with fibre material from the gasket in your food?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    No. Love my Rutlands, mini and large.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    FWIW, my large Rutland gasket was installed in November 2009. This pic was taken in May 2010. Still looks the same today. After a number of pizza and steak searing cooks. Been to 750° many times and shows NO signs of damage. Love it!!

4576460558_2ca20cf960_b.jpg

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    You are just way too neat and clean. I can tell everything I cooked for the last 6 months just by looking at my gaskets ;)
    Primeggister I have it on 4 eggs and the only problem I can see is it seems to have stunted my growth,,, or maybe that was from smoking :whistle:
  • Carolina Q
    Man, you have GOT to stop drooling on your gaskets!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    This one is just getting broke in

100_4493.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    You have a gasket on that?!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• None!
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Here we go.Do what makes you comfortable.BUT...if you have no gasket,you never have a gasket issue. :) THEY ARE USELESS!
  • Carolina Q
    Michael, my friend, you are correct in that you really don't need a gasket for temp control. But one of these days, you're gonna have a flashback. You're going to drop your dome and it's going to crack because you have no cushion. Hope not, but you have been warned. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    No problems...Used Permatex to secure it.
  • Michael, that is one of the most commonsense postings I have seen on this forum!

I have never seen this addressed and as I've been scared out of my pantaloons by flashback a few times, I must salute you!

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Hoss
    I have had em,learned the hard way.Burned arm.Stll no problems.I have dropped my gasketless dome a few times .Nothin.I don't have em anymore,cause now I know better. ;) I can understand the cushion idea,but if the thing breaks it is under warranty.Gaskets are a FEEL GOOD effect.And USELESS. B) Congrats on the win. :):)
  • There's a gasket?
  • Hoss
    Miss Judy,I have dropped a gasketless dome on a gasketless base several times.NOTHIN!Keep on Eggin and worry about the food,not a darned gasket. ;)
  • Hoss
    Only on the NEWER ONES! :laugh:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    no
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I have Rutland Gasket it is the best. Fibers are good for you. Oh that maybe fiber anyhow have not eaten much fibers
  • I have had a Rutland on my medium for 2 years and it looks the same as the day I installed it with numerous cooks/cleanings exceeding 750 dome temps. I would recommend using high temp silicone to attach it. I found the adhesive that comes with it to be worthless in my opinion. Also once installed, run your mapp torch across the gasket briefly to eliminate any stray fibers that may be poking out. My egg seals tighter then a drum and that is the way I like it.
  • Cagey
    Cagey Posts: 86
    Send RRP a private message, and he can set you up with the proper length Rutland gasket for your egg, he will give you instructions to install, and the web link to some pictures showing you the steps. You will only need to go to the auto supply store to get a tube of Permatex Ultra Copper.

My suggestion is if you get a little of the Permatex leaking out from below the Rutland gasket on the outside of the egg, to just let it be until it dried. When I tried to clean it off when it was wet, I made a bigger mess. The area that I let dry, I was able to cut away with a razor blade after the fact. Only two cooks, and the gasket works great. No burning smell like I got when I did a high heat pizza cook.
  • Thanks everyone! I really appreicate it.