Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Low n Slow

Options
Beaker
Beaker Posts: 293
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So after several months of owning a large I finally had a throw down with my self...Learned that you MUST build a good base for the fire. I just dumped it in, and it was the last of the bag, there was lots of small, plenty of medium, very little large pieces. I will also start the fire closer to the vent side next time instead of just in the middle. I had to add lump at hour 19 to finish it. 9 lb Pork Shoulder went on at 530 last night, took it off at 230 this afternoon. 21 hours. Pics of the lump, vent settings, dome temp, and pork temp included. Pics of the Maverick shows the time elapsed. Very moist and tender. I seasoned very lightly since I can always add seasoning after it is done. Did not want to over do it. IMG_8122.jpg;IMG_8123.jpg;IMG_8130.jpg;IMG_8148.jpg;IMG_8154.jpg;IMG_8146.jpg;IMG_8144.jpg;IMG_8143.jpg;IMG_8151.jpg;IMG_8159.jpg;IMG_8188.jpg;IMG_8191.jpg;IMG_8192.jpg

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    hey beaker, nice pics. You really should put them on one pic per line and stack them vertically. They would be a lot easier to view. ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Great lookin hunk-o-pig.i love picnics.I always fill the egg to the top of the fire ring for lo n slos.I always have some left but you can just snuff it out and reuse it on the next cook.I say you had a success. :) The end justifies the means.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    good pics, plus a nice looken cook. that pork sure does look good!! nice job! Like Hoss I too filler up on a low n slow cook. i dont mess with large pieces and small pieces i just dump it in, but i know some do and some dont, i may try next time to see if there is a difference, or maybe some will chime in and let me know.. :)
  • Hoss
    Options
    I'm a dumper too.Never had a problem.I do usually clean out the Egg really good before a LnS.(ashes)
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    ya i clean the thing too, i have to clean it out tomorrow morning :( supposed to be -20 in the morn so that should be fun :angry::angry: but the food is worth it! Right!!!
  • Beaker
    Options
    I will do that...thanks for the tip...I am still figuring out the pic part.
  • Beaker
    Options
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Beaker, Great job on your picnic cook. I like their taste. :P

You can fill your egg to nearly the top of the fire ring. ;) Your egg has the compatibilities of cooking low temp for better than 30 hours. You did great handling having to put more lump in your egg in the middle of a cook. ;) Believe me I have been there and done that many have. ;)

When posting pic's consider hitting the enter key after every pic. That way people won't have to scroll to the right as well as up and down.

Your next overnight cook will get easier...another great cook is a whole shoulder (butt & picnic ) . :P Tim
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Well, it looks like you got the hang of the fire and have the patience to stick with it.

I did notice that your roast was juiced (enhanced), which means it has been shot with additional liquids which can contain both natural juices and chemicals. This is a marketing ploy that does help keep a longer shelf life on meats, and can help prevent drying out meat during the cook, but the real flavor is comprimised a bit, and you can get a "hammy" texture. You see enhanced pork more often when dealing with chops, but juiced ribs and roasts are showing up more and more.

Look for key words like "moist and juicy", "always tender" or "self basting", and avoid those products if possible. You will get a much better product if you stay away from juiced meats. Some markets only sell enhanced pork, and others sell natural pork. Usually the stores like Sams Club and Cosco sell the natural pork. Sometimes the label will say "fresh pork", unfortunately this only means that the meat has not been frozen.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Beaker
    Options
    I will fill 'er up next time for sure! Does everyone put water/juice in the drip pan? I had water, it burned off, I refilled, but when it was burnin it was nasty smellin. Also when I added lump to finish the cook I took the pig off so the dust could settle and try to burn off some of the VOC's. Butt (sp.intended!)I felt like I should have waited longer. Just firing lump stinks.
  • Beaker
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and tips! I will definitely fill 'er up next time!
  • Hoss
    Options
    I guess??? :ermm: -20?! Fuggedaboutit! :whistle:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    A lot of folks put it in the oven at 250F until your egg is stabilized again. :)
  • Beaker
    Options
    Bought it at Wally World so no surprise that it is "enhanced". I did see that and that is why I went light on the seasonings. The daughter liked it!, and the grandaughter!
  • Hoss
    Options
    VERY Good point.I won't buy Kroger "Moist and Tender" for that very reason.Sam's and Schnucks sells All Natural in our area.I have to drive 10 miles vs a mile but so what.If it's gonna get juiced it's gonna be the juice of MY choice. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I say that's cold. :woohoo:
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Glad you posted that as I would have missed all but 2. Looks like a job well done.

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    I be with the two of you, clean and dump but I am a little more careful as I get to the bottom of the bag. Don't ask how I know. :lol:

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Hoss
    Options
    I clean her out real good then dump in a 10mpound bag,for starters,if it looks like I need more,I open another bag! ;) :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Beaker wrote:
    Does everyone put water/juice in the drip pan? I had water, it burned off, I refilled, but when it was burnin it was nasty smellin.

I placed a foil lined drip pan on my plate setter using extra big green egg feet. I do not add juice or water but some do. I not necessary unless you are just want to.

000_2452.jpg

000_2453.jpg

000_2454.jpg

000_2457.jpg
  • Chief Chef
    Options
    Thirdeye- Great tip there. I learn something new every time I get on this forum. Thanks.