Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I kind of burned the drippings from my ItalianBeef

TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had a temp control issue and the temp went from like 400 to 700 after I put the meat in, only problem is I didn't know that until 20 minutes or more after when I saw all the smoke.

The drippings got burned, I saved them anyway just in case.

Should I just go to a local Italian Beef joint (we have tons here!) and get some gravy or should I try to make my own from beef broth and seasonings?

Any guidance is much obliged. Oh and it looks awesome even though the drippings are effed.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    make your own even if it's beef broth doctored up with a packaged au jus
  • Quick, put a new clean drip pan in there and all will be well. Do it!!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Gravy is easy. Equal parts fat (oil, butter, pan drippings) and flour. Cook together slowly, add broth stirring on low heat with herbs and seasonings. A little Gravy Mate or something to darken if you wish.
  • Oh far too late for that when I posted it. I had already taken the roast out and let it rest, wrapped it, etc.

Thanks though!
  • El Dirty, I used up all my jus, so for leftovers I just used beef broth with some worchestershire. It's supposed to be thin. Add butter if you want. Or like Pat said, use packaged mix, just watch out for too much salt.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    No problem.Just make a little au jus.Easy Peasy.I'll give you one tip.Just dunk the meat in the gravy right before you eat it.I made some and it was beautiful but I put it in the au jus and warmed them up together.The beef was WAY overdone. :angry:
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    what recepie were you using for the itialian beef?

i am not sure where my last one was. and since i have the good stuff here now i can make some. i mean meat is meat butnow i have some really good giardiniera (thanks to you). so just point me in the right direction ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• You hit 700 degrees indirect accidentally? Wow. Put the beer down, Timmy.

Did you wind up getting some jus from a local joint? Definitely your best option.

How did the beef turn out?