Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of Lamb on Egg

Options
Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I never did a whole leg of lamb before. Any tips would be great. Do I have the butcher take the bone out for me? Should I get a slicer and slice thin instead of cutting it with a knife/ I'm clueless when it comes to this. Thanks Mark

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
  • Goody
    Goody Posts: 102
    Options
    The Big Green Egg has a great looking recipe on page &% that I have been wanting to try. Here it is.

Slow Roasted Leg of Lamb

Ingredients

1 5-6 lb Leg o Lamb (they show it bone-in in the picture)
    5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    20 (1 inch) pcs of Rosemary
    1/4 Cup EVO
    1 tsp Kosher Salt
    1 tsp freshly grnd black pepper

Equipment

V-Rack
    Drip Pan

Setup

Direct cook with porcelain (standard) grid
    Egg at 300

Directions

Take a knife and make 20 (1 inch) cuts evenly all over the lamb. Stuff each cut with a slice of garlic and piece of rosemary. Brush lamb with EVO and season with salt & pepper.

Place lamb on V-Rack, place rack in drip pan and place on the grid of the Egg. Roast for 2 to 2.5 hours until internal temp reads 140. Pull and let cool for 10 minutes. Carve and serve.

There are also several that look promising in the recipe section of the forum. Hope this helps and good luck. Hope to see pictures of what ever finished product you end up making.
  • Goody
    Options
    Sorry for the typo. That is the Bog Green Egg Cookbook page 76.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Looks like a couple of good recipes. Just been afraid to screw this up since it is an expensive piece of meat. Should I try the local butcher for the meat or like someone said before that Sam's club had nice ones?
  • Goody
    Options
    I think Sam's is fine. I get butts, briskets, and steaks there all the time. Typically save you several bucks a lb. They also sell package racks of lamb in there as well. I actually have a package in the fridge now that I am going to do tonight. I don't remember what they sell the whole leg of lambs for but I got that rack of lamb for $9/lb. I think the same thing at Publix runs $12 - $13. I am sure a butcher would be more than that. My butcher is typically a premium over Publix at least.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    leave the bone in.

treat it like a regular roast, and pull when 115-120 in the thickest part. that'll give you rare, and there will be plenty of more well-done exterior pieces for those that like them.

slip slivers of garlic (sliced thin but not too thin :) )under the surface, studded all over. mince some rosemary, and sprinkle that with salt and cracked pepper over the leg, rubbed also with olive oil

roast indirect at 400-425 until 115-120 internal. it won't take long. how long? i dunno. just not forever.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    rare to med rare center with some good charring on the outside is how i like it best. i sear it directly on the red hot coals and then roast it at around 325 to 350. i dont like to reheat lamb, dont like the flavor reheated so will cut the size of the roast down to fit my needs, maybe kabobs,stew meat, maybe grind some down for pies. hard to beat lamb kabobs with rosemary skewers marinated with some lemon juice, balsamic and some olive oil
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'm ready. I'll take pics tomorrow. Thanks agin
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Mark,

When I wanted to cook my first Leg of Lamb, I went to a friend who grew up in New Zealand and was a great cook. She told me Sam's had the best lamb in this area, to buy a boneless one, and she gave me the recipe that I posted in the Cookbook section on the Forum.

I have cooked it 2-3 times and it turns out fantastic.

DSC_0224.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0231.jpg
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Looks great. Thanks :)
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    I have done several cooks with rack of lamb. My next venture with lamb will be a leg of lamb. This looks great.
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    Gorgeous pics.......got my mouth watering just looking at it!!
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Who better to ask about lamb than a New Zealander? :laugh:
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    Misippi Egger wrote:
    Who better to ask about lamb than a New Zealander? :laugh:

B) Someone from SaltSpring Island!! B)
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    "Baaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh"