Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me incorporate a BGE into my covered setup

Walt Dockery
Walt Dockery Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a house that has a built in outdoor kitchen. The setup is nice, but not quite the way I would have done it, and I'm trying to make it my own setup without having to do too much demolition and rebuilding.

photo2.jpg

photo4.jpg

Above is a picture of my existing setup, and another one further back to give an idea of the space (sorry for glare). The TEC Sterling was there already, and doesn't work. It doesn't start, the grates need to be replaced, and the insides generally look like the grill was abused by the previous homeowner. Also, I've always been happy with Weber gas grills, so my plan is to take it out and replace it with a Weber. My existing Weber can't fit in there, but the new model has moved the burner controls to the front so those side tables can be removed - I was planning on taking out the TEC, removing the doors beneath it, and simply wheeling the new Weber (sans side tables) into place under the vent, which will be just about a perfect fit.

My plan was to then have a cutout made to the left of the gas grill (where the side burner currently is, see below for a pic of a similar cutout), and put a Big Green Egg there. The problem with this plan, as one of my friends who has a BGE pointed out, is that my cooking area is covered and my friend says his BGE produces quite a bit of smoke. So I'm worried with the BGE there up against the wall and not under the hood, I might have smoke issues. Thoughts/comments on this from those of you who have your BGE under a covered area? I'm not so much worried about discoloration from smoke as I am smoking people out if we're sitting under there (going to add a bigger table once my standalone Weber is gone). If I were to put the BGE under the hood, which would be ideal, I don't really have enough space left for the gas grill.

Below is a pic of a BGE incorporated into the built in as I had intented to (wish this was my outdoor kitchen):

photo3.jpg

Does anyone have thoughs on a potential solution?

One thought I have would be to just get the compact BGE table with castors http://www.biggreenegg.com/tables.html . I could place it over towards the open side of the kitchen, and since my new gas grill under the vent will also be on casters I could pull it out and put the BGE under the hood for applications that will involve a lot of smoke. The only problem with this is the compact table at 41" is too wide for the ~30" space, so would have to be modified (I assume it comes unassembled and cutting down the pieces before assembly is possible to make a 24.5 x 30" table?). This solution wouldn't be as space efficient as having the BGE incorporated into the built in counter, but would solve the smoke issue.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but felt it was necessary to explain. If I was building from scratch this would be much easier to come up with a perfect solution, but this is what I have to work with.

If you moved into a house with this existing setup and wanted both a gas grill and a BGE, how would you do it?

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    If you roll that gasser out of the way, you could put an egg in a table and place it there. That will cost you much less than anything else. Your other option is to buy the nest handler and make that thing very portable. You could place it anywhere you want for cooking (under the roof or outside)
  • Yeah, that's certainly an option. My main interest in building it into the counter top was to save space.

What exactly is the nest handler, is it just for pushing around the nest? The problem with moving it not under the roof is, notice in the second pic there is a good sized step there where the roof ends.
  • Nice setup.

I see two things missing, a bar seating area and a place for the Egg. Build out another counter height section where the gasser is is that seats 3-to-5 people and also houses the Egg (as the other picture shows).

It's so easy spending your money. LOL

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• That's not a horrible idea, matching the tile might be an issue.

I had planned to add seating via a bigger/nicer table, but not til I get my grill setup figured out so I know how much room I have. Getting that green Weber out from away from the built in opens it up pretty good.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Just my opinion but I would put the egg where the built in one is. I would paint the area a different colour to pick up the stainless and the tiles a little better. If you "need" a gasser than roll it in and out. I don't see an exhaust for that fan and it doesn't look like it could be side vented.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Unless your vent hood is much more powerful than mine, it will likely not handle the smoke on some of your cooks. I have a KitchenAid hood over my large, as well as screens on three sides around the cooking area and sometimes I fill up my screen porch with so much smoke, people have to go back inside. :( Still working on a good solution.

DSC_0448.jpg
  • DeanR
    DeanR Posts: 27
    I would remove the existing gas grill and doors and have a space built for the egg under the hood. Then leave the new gas grill on wheels and store/use it to the left of the counter.
  • I don't know how powerful the hood is - I've never needed to use it, the grill currently under it doesn't work and my gas grill doesn't produce that much smoke. Guess I'll find out.

The hood I believe vents out above the roof. Not sure about the comment about not seeing an exhast.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hi, Walt. Welcome! Couple of things to mention. Are you sure you want to buy a new gasser? I sure have seen a number of posts here where people say they have one and NEVER use it. Some are big ticket grills too! Folks use 'em to store their egg accessories... or SAY they do! :laugh: Seriously. Something to think about anyway.

Yes, the nest handler is intended to make moving it around a bit less adventurous. Basically, an attached hand truck...

BGENL2-2.jpg

Hard to tell from your pic, but it looks like the floor surface might be a bit difficult to roll a standard nest around on. I'm thinking about the gaps (or what appear to be gaps) between the tiles. Egg nests like it best when the floor surface is very smooth. Kinda top heavy! I think the nest would help, though I don't have one.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thanks ... yeah the pavers definitely aren't that smooth. For that reason, if I decide to leave it mobile I think the best bet would be one of the tables with casters, for better stability.

Gas grill ... I don't know, I've just always had one. I figured for something like burgers or a pork chop on a weeknight the gasser would be more convenient. I live alone, so sometimes I'm just cooking for one and it's easy to just turn on the gas for something simple like that.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Here is what you need Clark....This really keeps the smoke out.

Larry

lwJuen09038-1.jpg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you won't be using the gasser much any more, even for a burger. ;)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Carolina Q
    Walt, another thing to keep in mind is what comes out of the top of the egg. Not just smoke...

178848016_53d68069cc.jpg

Sorry, best image I could find. Flames can go higher.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Misippi Egger wrote:
    Unless your vent hood is much more powerful than mine, it will likely not handle the smoke on some of your cooks. I have a KitchenAid hood over my large, as well as screens on three sides around the cooking area and sometimes I fill up my screen porch with so much smoke, people have to go back inside. :( Still working on a good solution.

DSC_0448.jpg

You bought the wrong hood and installed it incorrectly. The hood you have has a 300 cfm fan designed to be hung at a minimum of 30" and a maximum of 36" above a range and exhaust the small amount of steam, smoke and cooking odor that is created during normal cooking conditions inside of a home. By having the hood 3-4' above your grill and outside, you create drafts which cause the smoke and odor to travel outside of the normal capture zone. Don't blame it on the hood, it's the wrong hood and installed improperly.

As a side note, that hood is not UL rated for outdoor use, indoor only. Whomever recommended that setup to you certainly didn't know what they were doing.

If you are looking for a solution to your problem, my recommendation would be to install an outdoor rated hood ( http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/UXG7360VDS/ ) with the 1200 CFM fan at the proper height of a 36" (max) above the grill. UL rated for outdoor use and powerful enough to clear any smoke from your room.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Walt Dockery wrote:
    Gas grill ... I don't know, I've just always had one. I figured for something like burgers or a pork chop on a weeknight the gasser would be more convenient. I live alone, so sometimes I'm just cooking for one and it's easy to just turn on the gas for something simple like that.

Not sure if you have ate food off your BGE and because I love food cooked on my BGE's and use to cook on gassers you may want to consider your BGE's to have the space you have available now for gassers and build a special building for your gassers maybe on the other side of the pool. Anyway you may want to change your ideas in a year or two maybe not. ;)

I have a house with an attached carport like a breeze through. I have two large BGE's under this carport and there are times when the smoke coming out of the egg is a little over whelming but, nothing a fan couldn't blow out because your egg won't smoke real bad for very long. ;) Anyway it looks like you have a nice place and a nice pool and all. You have more space for eggs than some do. :)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I agree with Crimsongator and Caroilna Q.Just buy an egg with a nest and handler.MUCH more convient than a built in egg.I have a custom made table for my egg but after I bought the nest and handler to transport the egg to a comp I never returned it to the table and never will. ;)
  • What about that table with casters I posted earlier? Seems like it would be more stable and less unsightly.

But the handler can be more easily tucked away.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    If you don't think you are going to transport your egg far (like load it in a truck to take to a competition), then I think the table with casters is a good option.

One thing I noticed is there is a step down from the covered area to the uncovered. Doesn't look really big, so you could probably pull it over that. However, you may consider a small ramp. Don't roll it in the pool! ;).

If you are going to be tearing out that built in gasser anyway...why not just set the egg there and see how it works? I think you might could set it right where the gasser was (leave the stainless doors). It might be a little higher than usual. You could try it out and how much of the smoke makes it through the hood. I think you will need some type of fan if it is not already there. You could also consider a custom exhaust solution:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1024272&catid=1

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• LOL, the ramp and drier vent idea have both crossed my mind already.
  • I agree. I have built in gasser and have not used it once since I got my egg 3 months ago.
  • stike
    2Fategghead wrote:
    Not sure if you have ate food off your BGE and because I love food cooked on my BGE's and use to cook on gassers you may want to consider your BGE's to have the space you have available now for gassers and build a special building for your gassers maybe on the other side of the pool.

OUCH! :pinch: that hurt my head tryna understand that :laugh:
  • Thanks, Larry, I think. :huh:

There wouldn't be much conversation on the porch with that thing roaring away ! :ohmy: But no smoke. :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh:
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    It was pretty quiet...But I bet it cost a pretty penny also.

Larry
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I meant that I didn't see a vent on the roof in the first picture. It looks like there is living space behind the wall that the exhaust is on and on one side. I didn't know if it was an exhaust free unit.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • I agree the hood is not powerful enough to carry out the occasional large volume of smoke. I insisted he mount it higher above the Eggs as I did not like the esthetics of a hood only 3 ft above the eggs, not to mention the risk from sparks and flames. My original idea, which the builder did not want to do was to have the ceiling over the Eggs be 2 ft or so higher than the porch ceiling, thus trapping the smoke for the vent to carry out. What I want him to do now is raise that ceiling 18-24 inches, putting screening on the 3 sides that are raised, thus providing a large surface area for passive exit of the smoke in addition to what the new, large vent would carry out through the top. (May not even need a vent with the screens).

BTW, 90-95% of the time I have no smoke problems - the vent and screens handling the small amount of smoke coming out of the Egg. Just when fresh chips are put on the lump or when I am cooking something like burgers (rarely) do I get enough smoke to make the porch uninhabitable. :(
  • It's Canada-talk
  • Carolina Q
    Love it! That's why I'm glad we have you around! You will say the things the rest of us are thinkin'! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    While I tend to suggest mobile solutions, like several others have, and while that is what I use myself, looking at your pictures, I can't see that it would gain you a thing. You don't have enough room around the pool, and no where else in the patio area is going to get you any relief. I agree with Little Steven and DeanR -- put your Egg right where the current built-in is and see if the vent gets the job done. If it doesn't the next step in my opinion would be to get a vent hood that would get the job done. Keep the gasser you've got now and see how often you use it after cutting your teeth on the Egg. If you use it a lot, then you can decide how to remodel if you want it built in.
  • stike
    that weren't no 'run-on' sentence. that there were a 'RUN AWAY!' sentence :laugh: