Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Chili Recipes?

Options
GreenEgger
GreenEgger Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have any great must try chili recipes? I think I've decided tomorrow is the perfect winter day for football and chili and thinking about trying something different than the old standby.

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Check out the cookbook section of the forum and you will find several chili recipes cooked on the egg.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=viewcategory&catid=261

Or just search "chili" in the search forum box and you will have hours of reading and tons of chili ideas.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    This is one of our favorites...a new twist on it is to smoke a chicken first then shred it up and put it in the chili vs using ground chicken...

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=535867&catid=1
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I had "egrets" chili this weekend and I must say, it's worth trying. Loved it ;) A quick search for egret's chili should find it.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    That stuff was soo damn good I almost had the last helping on Sunday for breakfast. I'm sure someone enjoyed it. Here's the link that I found with Egrets recipe.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=257511&catid=1

I'm hoping to make some this weekend. maybe today, seeing as how it's a 'clean the shop day' I might as well get after it. Funny thing is I came home to my wifes chili :S :pinch: you want to talk about a different animal all together? :P I choked it down with a smile
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    ZACBROWN_P1030323112510.jpg

I adapted this from Zac Brown's cookbook and it rocks.

Zac Brown Chili

1 lb. beef-tenderloin tips, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
    2 lbs. ground bison (I used ground beef)
    1/2 lb. ground pork (I used Mexican Chorizo)
    1 medium white onion, diced
    1 tablespoon masa flour or cornmeal
    1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 (14.5-ounce) can beef stock
    2 (14.5-ounce) cans chicken stock
    1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 (4-ounce) can mild diced green chilies
    1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 fresh jalapeño pepper, chopped fine
    2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    3 tablespoons medium chili powder

Brown all the meat and the onion in a large dutch oven or other grill-safe pan. Drain if needed. Add the masa, garlic, stock, sauce, chilies, cumin, jalapeño, pepper, and chili powder.

Simmer for an hour, then add:

1 (10-ounce) can Rotel Tomato & Green Chilies
    4 tablespoons medium chili powder
    2 tablespoons Ancho chili powder
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon cocoa powder
    1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, drained
    1 (15.5-ounce) can kidney beans, drained

Simmer for 45 minutes. Adjust seasonings, and serve with a sharp grated cheddar cheese and a dollop of crema.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Options
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Davekatz,

The beans in the picture are red aren't they?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    There's both kidney beans (they were a real dark red) and black beans in there.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    A few years ago, I came across 2 Chili making associations, the Chili Appreciation Society International, & International Chili Society. Both have web sites listing their winners for about the last 30 years. I down loaded all the recipes from the Chili Appreciation Society International, and made up my own recipe that was an average of all the other recipes. Every pot of chili I have made after that has been way better than any made before. (Secret #1, it takes at least 3 hours to make a decent chili) So, you might want to check out:

http://www.chili.org/recipes.html

&

http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_Categories.asp
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    "Choked it down with a smile" - smart man, since you had been gone almost a week! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    It has everything in it but the kitchen sink, but the best chili I have ever made or eaten so far (haven't tried Sundown's yet) ;)

PS - You will need two shopping carts when you go to the store to buy the ingredients ! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I'm wondering about two of the ingredients.. Is ancho chili powder easy to find? Also, is the cocoa powder of the unsweetened variety? Thanks for any help!!~~
  • Lady Egret
    Options
    Substitute regular chile powder if need be. The cocoa powder is the unsweetened variety.
  • Rascal
    Options
  • Grub Blogger
    Options
    Whatever you do, please do not use beans.
  • Rascal
    Options
    For about 30 years I've been enjoying a great recipe called "Wild Card Chili". It came from the original 'Marlboro Country' cook book and is so popular that it can be found to this day with a Google search. The only changes I made were to add a jar of roasted, red peppers, and halve the amount of chili powder (I hate heart burn, and don't eat alot of ice cream)!
    8 - )

http://www.freefoodrecipes.com/chili/wild-card-chili-marlboro.htm
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Joan, I knew you were the brains behind that dish ;) :laugh:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Sundown has a great recipe (from what i keep hearing). He made it at a couple NH Eggfests. Apparently the recipe only makes a pint at a time because i have never had any. :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I've had it. It's a nice spicy blend.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Of course she is Pat, but we won't tell Egret that! :woohoo:

Although I must say, the Egret chili is fabulous. :) Just wish the hair would grow back on my chest. :unsure:
  • Rascal
    Options
    Ain't it just so wonnaful that we're all just a wittle bitty diffy?...
  • Matt_in_the_OC
    Options
    I have tried 5 different recipes until I found this one. My search is over for sure.

I simplified it a little. Here is my version:

3 tablespoons olive oil
    3 lb beef chuck, cut into 1” cubes
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon ground coriander
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon sweet paprika
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 onions, finely diced
    5 garlic cloves, finely diced
    3 chipotle peppers, finely diced
    1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
    1 Tablespoon sugar
    1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
    1/2 cup instant masa

Add beef to a large pot with oil and brown it. Drain most of the liquid from the meat. Add the chili powder, coriander, cumin, paprika, oregano and cinnamon. Lower the temperature under the meat to "toast" the spices. Add the onions, garlic, chipotle peppers, jalapeno, and sugar to the pot. Increase the heat to medium to steam vegetables a little and sweeten the peppers. Add enough water to cover meat, and add tomatoes with their liquid.

Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Season with salt to taste. Simmer until the meat is fork-tender, about 2 hours. When done, sift in the masa slowly while stirring. Mash the beef with a potato masher until the meat is shredded.

Modified from Here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/beef-chili-recipe/index.html
  • GreenEgger
    Options
    So many great suggestions, thanks to all!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Had some in Ocala awhile back, was great.

Chili, Real Man’s Chili, Sundowner

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Tbs Cumin
    2 Tbs Paprika
    1 Tbs Chipotle Powder
    1 Tbs Chili Powder
    2 lbs coarse chopped Yellow Onions
    1 lb ground Beef (85%), or the same amount of ground Brisket
    1 lb coarse ground Pork
    1 1/2 Cans About Beef Broth (Swanson is what I use)
    4-5 Cloves Garlic, finely minced
    Salt
    Pepper
    For a larger amount:
    1-1 1/2 Tbs Cumin
    3 1/2 Tbs Paprika
    2 Tbs Chipotle Powder
    2 Tbs Tbls. Chili Powder
    3 lbs coarse chopped Yellow Onions
    2 lbs ground Beef (85%) Or the same amount of ground Brisket
    2 lbs coarse ground Pork

PROCEDURE:
    1 Lightly brown the pork and beef in the dutch oven. Set aside meat but reserving the
    2 fat and juice (You can do this recipe in your DO and not worry about losing the
    3 seasoning because it doesn’t contain tomatoes)
    4 Sauté the onions in the fat and juices till they are barely transparent then mix in the
    5 meat. Pour in about half of the broth add the spices and stir them into the meat and
    6 onions then add the rest of the broth.
    7 Be careful in you use brisket if overcooked it tends to get a ‘mushy’ feel on the
    8 tongue.
    9 Dome temp at 300º - 350º F. top off – clear smoke – then add the smoking wood of
    10 your choice and cook for about an hour. I’ve done indirect and direct and either
    11 way seems to work. Stir once or twice over the hour if you go direct.
    12 Many folks want to skim off the fats once it cools a bit. I don’t. I know that fat helps
    13 holds some of the heat and a lot of the flavor.
    14 To thicken the chili add Masa flour (finely ground corn meal you can find in the
    15 Spanish section of your super market.) Use the Masa flour sparingly. If you want
    16 thicker chili don’t add as much beef broth to the recipe.
    17 I float a couple of fresh habaneros (seeds and all) just lightly crushed on the top as it
    18 cooks or, for less heat toss a couple of lightly crushed Jalapenos (seeds and all) in the
    19 pot. For additional smoke flavor float an Ancho chili in the pot.
    20 Serve with crackers or cornbread and lots of cold drinks. (You can fish the chilies
    21 out after the cook before you serve your guests).

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Carey Gilbert (Sundown)

Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '09, Sundown

Final Note: Please don’t go messing with this by putting tomatoes or tomato

products of any kind in it until you’ve tried it this way a couple of times.

If you prefer beans or rice in your chili add them to the bowl when you serve your

guests. I think beans alter the flavor if they are added to the chili during the cook.

Enjoy.
  • ranger ray
    Options
    thanks! that's outstanding!...... i'm gonna make a batch this weekend....rr
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Missippi Egger brought a pot of Egret's chilli to 'Loneyfest.I must say it was the best chilli I have ever tasted,hands down. :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I always thought that hair went great with the pink polkadots :silly:
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    texascooking.com

This is a great site to explore. Once there,click on Grandmas Cookbook. All kinds of Texas and Southwestern recipes. I can stay on this site for hours! ;)