Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ACE Hardware Lump Charcoal...good or bad?

Options
dsmith
dsmith Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've already went through two bags of the BGE brand of coal in my one month of BGE ownership ;)

I have an xtra large EGG and have been cooking a lot (BTW, how addictive is this stuff anyhow?)!

I'm paying almost $30 for the BGE coal but ACE Hardware by my house has a 20lb bag for $12. Does anyone have any experience with that brand?

Thanks!

Comments

• No Trash
    Options
    Our local Ace sells Cowboy brand and I have used it and I have not had any problems with it. I also use Royal Oak from Walmart without problems at $6.37 per 10lb bag. The only thing that I have noticed is that sometimes you may get a few rocks in the bag. I just clean them out of the fire box and have started a rock garden next to the egg... ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't, and I don't see it in TNW's reviews either...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

Royal Oak (made in US, not the South American stuff) seems to be popular among forum members and is available at Walmart for under $7 per 10 lb bag. Whether you can find it there this time of year probably depends on where you live. Grills and accessories aren't real big sellers here in New England in the winter! It's 9° outside right now!! :laugh:

Try a bag of the Ace stuff and see how you like it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dsmith
    Options
    Great to know! That is a much better price point. I hope the ACE stuff/Cowboy brand works good 'cause I get post-traumatic stress disorder after entering Wal-Mart.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    dsmith wrote:
    I get post-traumatic stress disorder after entering Wal-Mart.

You are not alone! :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thegrillster
    Options
    Cowboy is decent lump, especially for the price. I use it when my walmart is out of royal oak.

It seems to burn faster but I still consider it very usable and a great deal for the price.
  • dsmith
    Options
    I'm doing my first overnight butt smoke tonight. I'm following Nakedwhiz's Carolina BBQ recipe. The longest I've smoked something now was like 8 hours (bone-in chops if i remember correctly). I hope this turns out! I'm guessing it is hard to screw up as long as I go lo-n-slo.

Wish me luck...
  • thegrillster
    Options
    Make sure you fill your egg totally full. The cowboy does not seem to last as long but it should be fine. Just fill it up totally.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Our local Ace sold Frontier brand in 20 lb bags and cowboy in 10 lb. I haven't tried them, but I think either are fine.

If you have Kroger in your area I have had pretty good luck with their lump. Rumor has it that is also Royal Oak. 5.99 for a 8.8# bag. Wally-world is a better deal but mine only carries lump in the summer.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• boston_stoker
    Options
    Royal Oak at Walmart really is a good option, and there can be some very interesting people there!

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com

For low and slow cooks, I like Wicked Good Charcoal. It isn't available everywhere though.
  • XLegglover
    Options
    now that humor!! unfortunately for me hre in Cedar Falls Ia, Wicked Lump isnt available, but heard its good stuff :S
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Depends on which brand it is. My ACE sells Frontier, Cowboy and BGE.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Jer_inva
    Jer_inva Posts: 109
    Options
    You might want to give this database a scan. It has both users ratings and comparison testing ratings on almost all brands of lump charcoal:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Jer
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Man, no fair, I have an Ace Hardware in walking distance and they don't sell lump, or charcoal, or any grilling accessories for that matter.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stevesails
    Options
    i have bought Cowboy at Home depot and Lowes.. It is ok.
    I tried the Lump at GFS, it seems a little smokie, i dont think it is totally carbonized. it is supposed to be royal Oak, but I am not sure.

I am now using the Royal Oak From Walmart, they have it all year even in Michigan. i usually buy 5 or 6 bags at a time. and I am sticking with it.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    if you have limited source for lump where you live just talk to your ACE store manager and they can place a special order from their distribution center. Just because yours doesn't stock it doesn't mean they can get it for you. Years ago I used to do that and get 3 bags at a time. Now I have many sources. BTW ACE SKU# is 8102642, Do-It-Best is 800279, True Value is 145607, Service Star is 66990. HTH
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GeeCee
    GeeCee Posts: 10
    Options
    You should be able to buy it online and have it shipped to your local Ace store for no shipping charge. I have done it here in Griffin, GA several times. Our store has also started carrying the full line of BGE's.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I just ordered 10 20# bags of Cowboy from Ace. I have never had a problem with it. The store didn't order any for the winter, don't know why. 12 degrees is perfect BBQing weather, bunch of whimps around here.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    I use Nature-Glo and its excellent. I pay about $15-$16 for a 20lb bag. 2 of our BGE dealers locally have switched to selling the Nature-Glo.
  • Margie
    Margie Posts: 52
    Options
    If you are talking about Cowboy lump I like it better then others I have tried.
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    I just got my Egg last week, but I've been using the Ace brand lump charcoal for some time. The Ace Hardware right down the street from my house is a local grilling mecca. They sell 3 or 4 brands, including something called "Cowboy." I asked the owner, whom I know for many years to be a good honest soul, which of the brands was best............he indicated that he thought they were all about the same. I've used them all and cannot tell the difference. Maybe I'm just not that sophisticated a griller, but I have not been able to justify an $8 per bag premium(65%). Just my opinion.