Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT\'s in progress

Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi fellow Egger's,

I will be making ABT's soon,it took me 30 min to cut,deseed,wash (including equipment) to do 18 whole peppers or 36 boats. :) I think I need another 6 whole peppers as there are 5 people.

I can remember when I was not ever going to do one more after the first batch.

Thanks Egghead forum for Egging me on. :silly:

Still a lot of work as I use 3 types of cheese and other spices and Carnivore Chipolte sauce mixed with a bit of maple and Capt. Morgans spiced rum. Oh well, they go quick.

Cheers,
Bordello

And I still have all my fingers :woohoo:

JensJalapenos006.jpg

Comments

• Good to see you posting again. Hope you're doing well. And I wish I could have some of those ABTs.
  • Bordello
    Sure appreciate the reply, just wanted y'all to know I'm still here. Can't seem to keep any around or I would send you one. :laugh:

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • They look great but you gotta try Mainegg's ABT dip...much easier and the same great ABT taste.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    That post you responded to earlier got you started didn't it? :laugh:

Continue please this is a great post for me because last time I cleaned the peppers I rubbed my upper lip and my mouth swelled up..... :(
  • Bordello
    Maybe that will be next on the list. Takes me awhile to get to new things. :) I like my safety zone. :woohoo:

Will do.

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • ibboat
    ibboat Posts: 6
    I like to slice & seed the peppers, wrap in bacon and freeze on a cookie sheet. Keep them in a ziplock and are ready anytime the fire get lit. Just add stuffing of choice. I like ranch dip spiked with a little smoked paprika. If anything they become a cooks snack B)
  • Bordello
    :( I should have showed the latex gloves in the picture.

Egger's, please use latex gloves or ya pay the price for it and guys..........don't go pee. :angry::lol:

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Outstanding! Those little hot peppers did not stand a chance against your Samurai sword / Damascus steel kitchen ka-nife. That thang looks sweet.
  • Bordello
    I haven't used it much but you're sure right about how it cuts and it could have done a job on my fingers. :whistle:

But, hey there all the and no cuts or nicks. :silly:

I ususally use a much small steak knife but thought what the heck.

Have a good one,
    Bordello
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    A sharp knife is safer than a dull one. ;)
    A little trick; Pick up some cheap plastic tongs to hold the peppas as you slice and core.

Take a pic of them Atomic Turds on the egg, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. drooooool
  • Bordello
    Great tip. :cheer: I will take more pictures as I make them. Maybe it will help someone new that could get discouraged like I did. :whistle:

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Have you progressed to the stuffing yet Bob? Didn't know if they were for tonights festivities or not. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Bordello
    :laugh:
    Molly,
    I'm blushing. :whistle:
    Will probably stuff and wrap tomorrow and cook on Sat. But I could end up doing it all on either day.

Now, make me blush some more, I kind of like it. :) :silly: :P

Thanks a heap,
    Bordello,
    Red all over. :lol:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Bob,

since you are a boat man like me vs. an upright holder thingee for ABTs maybe this little slide show might help your followers! I find that a really sharp, short bladed paring knife takes that stem "doily" off with ease and keeps the "boat" from leaking! You MAY have to click on the picture to get it to become a slide show.
    th_IMG_1083.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    PS - I'm waiting for Wally World to get some jalapeno peppers stocked here as it has been TOO LONG since last summer and next summer is only a dream! BTW it was only 1° here this morning! yup I said ONE degree! No peppers growing around here to be harvested soon! :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I feel the pain.As many peppers as I grew this last year,I thought I would never want to see another one.I got tons of em frozen or canned.NOTHING beats FRESH jalepenos for ABTs. ;)
  • Bordello
    Thanks Ron,
    Very nice, I have been popping the tops off with my fingers, works pretty good but not as nice as the slicing you did.

Those looked very nice indeed. Will give a "slice" on the ones I pick up tomorrow.

My Best you & yours,
    Bordello
  • RRP
    hmmmm, tell me more about freezing them - I assume you clean them, de-seed and freeze them? Yes FRESH is best, but some of us have to make do...Please TELL ME MORE!
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    If you feel like experimenting - try this. Since the boats usually make people take two bites and sometimes the filling comes out.... We like to put both sides of the pepper back together with the cream cheese and little smokie inside, then wrap in bacon. The trick is putting two toothpicks (one in each end of the pepper). After they are cooked, you can easily cut in half and you now have a "bite size" ABT and still serve the 36 servings. If the pepper is really big you can get three servings.....good luck with pleasing your girls ;)
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Bordello
    If there were you couldn't cut en anyhow. :lol: At least not for awhile.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Thank you Judy, nothing like this forum for new and good information. Maybe I will try like part like that to see if I pick up on it without pulling out what hair I have left.

:)

My Best to you and Leroy,
    Bordello
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    BTW, thanks for the personal note Bob. Good to have you back too!

I sure wish I had someone to share ABT's with. Susie can't handle them and I don't have a bar to take leftovers to. I say leftovers because it would be what I didn't eat!
  • Bordello
    Thanks,
    I don't know how many times I've made them and don't eat a one for that same reason. Now I'm also putting pickled watermelon rind (cut up to little pieces) in the cheese mix. No wonder I make a lot of work for myself but hey, other's are enjoying the heck out of em.

Cheers and thanks,
    Bordello
  • RRP
    My wife can't handle my ABT's either no matter how I used to try to tone them down like in par boiling the peppers even. So my solution was making a batch and then letting them cool well before storing in a tight fitting Tupper Ware container. After that I would nuke 2 or 3 each day until they were all used up...and eating them ALL MYSELF!
  • Bordello
    Kind of sounds like a great solution Ron. Keep up the good work, I'm sure she appreciates it.

I have a coffee shop I also take them to and one of the ladies said that last batch was really good but I found her heat limit. :evil:

Regards,
    Bordello having more fun then he should. :woohoo:
  • Hey what is that little cleaner thingy dingy next to the knife and where do you get those?
  • Bordello
    I'm not sure what it's called, each end is different,plastic with serrated teeth but it works pretty good. I also us a very small paring knife but mostly that things with no name. :(

I probably got it at Bed Bath & Beyond as I love to go through their kitchen dept.

Sorry I couldn't help more with the name.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • RRP
    yes it is from BB & B. WessB tipped us off to their existence years ago. Why I can remember trivia like that but not other things is beyond me! :blink:
    IMG_2040.jpg
  • Bordello
    Glad to know I'm not the only one. It's a good thing there are many on the forum so all old farts can help each other.

Have a Great Weekend Ron,
    Bordello
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Bordello, I'll be looking forward to the finished pics.

Beautiful knife!