Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

casserole

Options
The Walrus
The Walrus Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever tried a cast iron casserole for veggies, beans or any other purpose in the BGE? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    the walrus:[p]I make an old family recipe of Mull (Brunswick Stew) in cast iron Dutch ovens on the . . . Well it can be done on the BGE too. I also make chili in Dutch ovens the same way. I do so with lids off, sometimes smoking, others not.[p]The results remind me of mull (stews) being made in large cast iron pots over a oak fire and stired with a prepaired and modified axe handle.[p]I think the BGE and cast iron cooking work well togeather, but I have not seen a lot of posts regarding this type of cook. You are venturing into creative territory. I am looking forward to your posts as you progress with this style of cooking.

• Unknown
    Options
    the walrus,
    I did a pot of chili a'la egg in a cast iron dutch oven. Cold smoked then seared a chuck roast, then cut it up and made a big pot o' chili. Cooked between 300-350, without a lid. Cooked for several hours with a very slow bubble. It was perfect, and nice and smoky.[p]Also have done Tamker Tim's beans. I usually do veggies in a grill-topper wok with holes in it. Works great.[p]The egg also makes a GREAT cast iron seasoner. Coat with animal fat (I used lard) and cook at 400 for a couple hours. Close up vents, and let egg cool slowly with cast iron still inside. A nice rich black non-stick finish awaits you.[p]I learned about cast iron here on the forum, and now we cook on the stuff all the time. Hard to believe people have gotten away from using CI these days.
    Cheers!
    NB

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Oh yeah, and cornbread in a cast iron skillet on da egg is wonderful! Especially with chili.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    the walrus,
    I've done fritattas (an open faced omelet with veggies in it), veggies - eggplant, broccoli, potatoes, onions, asparagus, stews, chili, beans, etc. on the egg. These work best with indirect baking over firebricks. Pies are great too. Essentially anything that can be baked or roasted can also be done in the egg.[p]Mary