Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long does lump last, you ask?

Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked a nearly 9 lb butt the other day, using Wicked Good lump. Fired it up at about 8 PM (250° dome) and at 10 PM, the butt went on. It finished at about 6 PM, nearly 22 hours after I lit it!!! I meant to take a pic of the full load of lump before I lit it, but forgot. So, I reloaded to about the same level to give you an idea (after I took the "after" pics).

Here is approximately what I started with...
5346233419_0630309807_b.jpg

Here it is after the cook (before stirring)...
5346843202_2b9d6c4589_b.jpg

And finally, after stirring to shake off the ash...
5346232857_3e67a0cd6c_b.jpg

A forty hour cook doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility, now does it? :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Wow! I might have to give the wicked good a try. You barely put a dent in it!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    I have had a full load of Ozark Oak go 32 hours.

Had a load of WG go 26 and it was mixed with Ozark Oak.
  • Carolina Q
    Forgot to mention that the stuff I topped it off with before I took today's pics is Royal Oak, not WG. 100% WG for the cook though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    22 hours is a good start :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    nm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Well, that's been my longest cook. And probably will BE my longest, give or take. I had plenty left, and could have added plenty more up front. Just thought a visual might be helpful for some.

What do you cook that takes longer than 22 hours?! Aged ribeyes? ;)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Impressive. I have not tried a cook longer than 8 hours yet.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    my first butt i did following the method on whiz's site. dome was 225, so the butt took almost 24 hours. :blink: my buddy had an egg, and had a brisket that he was doing, and was coming over for dinner. his was running slow too, so he brought it here to finish.

i took my butt off and his brisket went on. it took forever to come back to temp and finish. 8 hours. we sliced it and he had to go home...

it was about 32 hours easy. the same lump cooked chicken, then steaks, then one more cook before i added lump. i had filled it pretty good since it was my first overnight.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Michael,

Here's a small egg after about a 13 hour butt cook, so maybe a 14 1/2 hour total burn time. pre-stir (with Wicked Good)

8dc7c020.jpg
  • shane_g
    shane_g Posts: 4
    I'm new to this so forgive my question if it sounds silly.

My bag of charcoal has pieces that are twice the size of my fist, should I break those up or leave them like that?

Thanks!