Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Best Pizza Crust

MemphisQueMemphisQue Posts: 610
edited 11:56PM in EggHead Forum
What do you think is the best pizza crust for BGE pizzas?
·

Comments

• vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Thin crust?
    Thick crust?
    Deep dish?
    Margherita style?

Lots of choices....
    ·
  • Prefer a thin style crust
    ·
  • ResQueResQue Posts: 1,045
    It is really all about personal preference. I like Peter Reinhart's Neo-Neapolitan.

Edit-any style of pizza crust can be done on the egg, so there is no "best" dough for it. It all falls back to personal preference.
    ·
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,358
    I grew up in NYC where pizza crust was about 1/8" thick and not like a slice of bread. Wish I could find that style elsewhere, or learn to make it myself...
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,878
    Are you talking about pre-made pizza crust, or a recipe to make your own dough?

I have tried the Boboli pizza crusts and they are ok. The advantage is they are obviously very easy to work with because they are like a circle of cardboard. The disadvantage is they taste like a circle of cardboard :).

I have found pre-made dough balls at Publix and Trader Joes. Both of these have been really good.

I found out a local pizza joint sells their dough balls. I am gonna try that next.

I have not attempted my own dough recipe yet.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • I buy mine from 2 local pizza places, mello mushroom and Brooklyn pizza. $3-$6 each depending on the size. I find this to be easiest and best tasting for only a few dollars.
    ·
  • My wife and I make a crust that we got from Emeril's website. We've tweaked a little, added fresh sage and roll it out thin so it's crispy. I even "pre-Egg" it for 10 minutes so the toppings don't burn waiting on the crust to get crispy.

Rosemary/Sage Focaccia

Ingredients
    •2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
    •3 envelopes (3/4 ounce) active dry yeast
    •2 teaspoons sugar
    •2 cups warm water (about 110 degrees F.)
    •5 1/2 cups bread flour (or more as needed)
    •3 teaspoons fine salt
    •1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
    •1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage

Instructions
    Lightly oil a large bowl with 1 teaspoon of the oil and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the yeast, sugar, water, and 2 tablespoons of the oil, stir and let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and the fine salt, and mix on low speed until the dough comes together and forms a ball, 2 to 3 minutes. Increase the speed to medium and mix for 8 minutes. If the dough is still sticky, continue mixing and gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup flour.

Form into a ball and place in the prepared bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel, and let rest in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

crawfishpizza1.jpg
    ·
  • That pizza looks incredible. What all you got on that?
    ·
  • That does look good, I see shrimp, scallions and mozzarella, what else?
    ·
  • It's actually crawfish, with 2 types of cheese, green onion tops, rosemary. We use a cream sauce as the base.

Thanks!
    ·
  • That looks very tasty. The only crawfish I can get in Lexington are frozen.
    ·
  • We have a mello mushroom here and I like there pizza dough. I'll try and see if they will sell me their dough. Thanks.
    ·
  • Thanks - your pizza looks awesome
    ·
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Try this recipe....it is deeelicious & easy... :)
    ·
  • Didn't see a recipe in your post
    ·
  • He can not see through all the snow :laugh: :laugh:
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    The $.69 ones at Kroger or WalMart.They come in a packet.Just add water,ready in 10 minutes.Best I've tried so far,and I've tried several. ;)
    ·
  • 3Pedals6Speeds wrote:

Looks like this when done:

35627_184804661547622_100000542670982_595311_1833547_n.jpg
    ·
  • Susan, that is REALLY funny!!

Judy, freezing her patootie off in sunny San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
    ·