Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

resolution to ebay Small BGE scam

Options
bbqjew
bbqjew Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got an email from paypal, and it looks like my $200 was returned to my paypal account.
Its a pitty that it was a scam, but glad i paid via paypal with cash. It does seem to have been a good way to go.
Mark

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You are lucky :unsure:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bbqjew
    bbqjew Posts: 34
    Options
    Not completely lucky. I paid with paypal from my bank account, just for this reason.
    Sometimes it pays to listen the the voices in your head.....
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Glad to hear you got your money back. I wonder what happens to the seller in this case. If I understand correctly, Paypal holds the payments for up to 21 days before the seller can withdraw the funds. So, it is likely the seller didn't actually get the money...Paypal just "took it back". Perhaps the seller didn't know this so they got nothing. Let's hope so!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    I hope they GO TO JAIL for pulling a scam like this.
    I hope eBay and PayPal prosecute these kinds of scammers/thieves to the max!

BTW, did not buy one, just sayin' :angry:
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    I prefer to think that you were smart not lucky as well. There are a lot of good deals on EBay and to just not do them because you're skeptical means you pass up some good deals. However, to do it with controls is smart. Sorry this one did not pan out. I echo the sentiments of the person who wishes this seller would be fully prosecuted.
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    Sorry it was TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. But I just happen to have a bridge for sale for that exact amount and a paypal account to boot. Interested?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Not just the voice in your head, but the voices of several people that posted here that it was a hoax, a scam, not legit, etc.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I never buy eBay wo using pay pal, period. Forget the fees only one incident like yours and you're hundreds ahead. Glad it worked out, the there ain't no free lunch adage still holds even on eBay, was too good to be true. Keep on eggin.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

eBay will not allow transactions to complete unless they are paid with PayPal - no other options, unless the transaction is handled outside of eBay which could result in being kicked off eBay.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Mark, glad to hear it's resolved. Have a dumb question though, I'm an ebay newbie, what's the difference between paying via paypal with cash, vs. with credit card, when it comes to reversing the charge?
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

PayPal/eBay has been pretty vague as which funds and or sellers funds are held an which are not. Electronics or anything that is a 'hot selling item' will have funds held to the waiting period or until the buyer leaves positive feedback on the transaction.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Not much really happens except for banning the seller on PayPal and or eBay.

There is not enough money involved. Most law enforcement personal will say it isn't their jurisdiction. Once in a great while the postal inspectors will get involved.

As a seller, if you don't want to drive yourself nuts, you have to plan on loss from buyers as to saying they didn't get the right item, item not as described, used to be false money orders/western union/checks and once in a while counterfeit money. When eBay bought PayPal and required all payments to go through PP all that stopped - as did a lot of bids closing.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

In the US all those options go through PayPal via a checking/credit card you set up with PayPal. No other payment method is allowed. (unless there has been an eBay policy change as of late).

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Glad to hear you have your funds back. Would have been much better to receive the egg though.

Hope everyone got on the stick and got their funds returned.

Kent