Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cant get temperature over 400 degrees

Ironhorse
Ironhorse Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cant get my egg temperature over 400 degrees, and it takes over 30 minutes to get near 400 degrees. Can you help me!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    is the daisy on the egg, or is it on the table, want it on the table with lower vent wide open
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    lower vent wide open.

stir old lump to drop ash from previous cook

make sure there's not so much ash in lower vent that it is impeding airflow (also around sides of the firebowl, between it and the exterior shell of the egg)

no need to do a total clean out

fill with fuel up to or perhaps OVER the gap between the upper fire ring and the lower fire bowl.

light it, shut the dome, take the metal daisy totally OFF (if you want higher than 400)

with fresh lump, this will be ten minutes maybe. used lump and smaller bits, maybe 20 minutes
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Ironhorse,

Welcome to the forum.

Temp = fuel + airflow. If you're having trouble getting your temp up, you're either not putting enough lump in the Egg (fill to at least the top of the firebox, and go as high as halfway up the fire ring), or you're having airflow issues. Some things to look at for airflow:

1) Is the hole in the firebox aligned with the lower draft door?
    2) Do you fully clean the ash out of the bottom of your Egg on a regular basis?
    3) Are the air holes in the grate and firebox blocked by ash or small bits of lump?

Do you have the lower draft door and the upper vent wide open?

Also, calibrate your thermometer in boiling water (see if it registers 212) to make sure that it isn't broken or way off.

Hope this helps,

-John
  • i am a bit unusual :laugh: :laugh:
    but i clean my egg often wiith a shop vac ,, learned the hard way the space between the fire box and the egg was clogged and i could not gete above 35o after a year of egging..
    below from bge site

still cannot get the temperature of my Big Green Egg above 350°F. What could I be doing wrong?
    There are two common reasons why the EGG will not reach higher temperatures.

The first is lack of airflow. Make sure that all of the air holes are free of obstructions, including those in the fire grate, the fire box, and the space behind and around the firebox. It is also necessary for the horseshoe shaped opening in the firebox to be aligned with the lower draft door in order to obtain proper air flow. Increasing the amount of air will ensure the EGG reaches higher temperatures.

The second reason you may have trouble attaining higher temperatures is that the lump charcoal is wet or damp. If charcoal is wet, or was wet and has not completely dried, it will be very difficult to reach higher cooking temperatures. Removing the wet charcoal and replacing it with fresh, dry lump coal will remedy this problem
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    All the suggestions were excellent.

One other thing to consider is to make sure the holes in the fire grate are clear with no small pieces of lump blocking them. To check for this, buy or make a wiggle rod and insert it into the bottom vent and poke it up through the holes. I generally do this right before lighting the lump and during the cook if it doesn't get up to the right temperature.

Be sure to fill the entire fire box with lump.

A great wiggle rod can be purchased from:

http://thirdeyebbq.com/WiggleRods.aspx
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • I made my Wiggle Rod out of a 3/16 metal rod with the 90 degree bend 2 1/2" long and used a 1" diameter piece of scrap dowel for a handle. I use it every time I fire up the Egg to insure plenty of air flow.
  • I like using the gold club heater using propane. It really gets a nice base of hot coals going. You can find it on Bar b q guru. Just make sure that your have the top and bottom wide open and give it time.