Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BUCK KNIVES

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,739
edited November -1 in Off Topic
been carrying a pocket knife for over 40 years, that puts it before i started first grade. now i know society has changed and those knives are mostly sitting in peoples dressers, on the work bench, in a tool or fishing box, but i refuse to put mine down, it stays in the pocket unless flying and i have a different knife to check in when i do. im behind the times,i now see the trusty buck pocket knife is made in china, im not agianst over sees, my german boker has been in my pocket since 1996, but buck doing that is just wrong, will never look at the company the same way. guess they have a different senior partner now, here is a statement thats come with every buck knife ive ever own.

Now that you are family, you might like to know a little more about our organization. The fantastic growth of Buck Knives was no accident. From the beginning, management determined to make God the Senior Partner. In a crisis, the problem was turned over to Him, and He hasn't failed to help us with the answer. Each product must reflect the integrity of management, including our Senior Partner. If sometimes we fail on our end, because we are human, we find it imperative to do our utmost to make it right. Of course, to us, besides being Senior Partner, He is our Heavenly Father also; and it's a great blessing to us to have this security in these troubled times. If any of you are troubled or perplexed and looking for answers, may we invite you to look to Him, for God loves you.
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Sad, but the nature of a global economy I'm afraid.

I carry a case stag handle trapper myself. I can't remember the last time I was without a pocket knife. I have a Spyderco in my truck, and who knows how many others scattered in various tackle boxes, bird buckets, and fishing vests.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    I used to carry a Spyderco, until I broke the tip. Now I carry a Kershaw.
  • Fidel
    Funny, I broke the tip on my Spyderco a couple months ago, too. After 20 years. Was my favorite knife. I was issued that knife as part of standard issue SWAT equipment back in 1990 or so.

It was a little too big to carry as a pocket knife but had some great steel. Held an edge better than any other.
  • fishlessman
    my boker is a stag handle trapper, nice knife. in the truck is a buck akonua, good if stikes around. key ring crkt from tiawan. buck had a lot off companies make knives with their logo, camillus made the little rose handle buck models and i think buck made the camillus boat knives with the spike, that never bothered me, even had some german ones, but i think they lost a customer now, i wouldnt be happy carrying a new one
    fukahwee maine

• I have many as do a lot. Started with Buck back in the late 60's. Check out Cold Steel for a quality US made knife. At least the one I have says made in USA.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Yeah, I loved mine until it broke.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    knives are obvious. no one would suspect pancetta induced botulism ;)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I keep a knive with me most of the time. I'm not much of a collector but I do have my share of knives I use. I also sharpen my own knive as well. There was a time I had more knives but, I went through a divorce and some went missing. :angry: Back in the 70's and 80's I did a lot of hunting and trapping and fishing them were the good old days. ;)

000_2480.jpg

000_2481.jpg
  • fishlessman
    ive got that buck, one buck like the schrade, 110? couple buck 500 with rose wood handles, boker damascus with the horn handle, buck akanua, couple case knives, buck sailor knife with the marlin spike, boker trapper with a canoe scene on one blade, use them all, plus a bunch of cheaper blades. lost a bucn of small camillus knives thru the years, the older barlows, camp kings etc. buck sells the usa and the china knives, seems to lessen the quality or worth to me selling both like that
    fukahwee maine

• 2Fategghead
    Yes that is a 110 Buck. The SHARADE is a USA LB7. My camillus knive was aquired through Cindy's father. It was eched somehow. He (Cindy's father the late Charles Marr) often went to the town square and sat with the old men and whittled. Well he knew a man who had a **** load of these eched camillus knives and so he got one for me. It says camillus New York USA. ;)

000_2486.jpg
  • fishlessman
    i liked the old camillus blades, really took a good edge compared to some of the bigger names. i think i have an old blue cub scout model around
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    youll need to do better than a little botulism, ill still have time to get even :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I have need for more than just a blade a lot of times, so I opt for either my trusty Victorinox Swiss Army knife or, if I can remember to keep them out of the hands of the **** TSA, a Gerber multitool. Both of them are just so handy.
  • Fidel
    Don't curse the TSA, man. Do you realize how many airliners have been taken down with a screwdriver and a pair of retractable pliers? What's that? None? Seriously? Well then, carry on.
  • 2Fategghead
    I've got a Kline multi tool that can't be wore out ;) now the sheath on the other had is another story. :angry: Why someone would make a cheesy sheath for such a superior tool is beyond me. :ohmy:
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    I've carried a Buck Stockman #301 since the age of thirteen. All the grooves molded into the scales are worn smooth now. I think I would walk off-balance without it.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I never did understand this knife thing. My dad ALWAYS had a knife in his pocket, though I rarely saw him use one. He had a rather extensive collection of Case knives too. THAT, I understand. Lots of folks collect lots of things.

But carrying a knife? Why? I've never carried one and, somehow, have managed. What do you DO with them?!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fidel
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Thanks. That clears it up. :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    always seem to need a knife, working under the truck, on the boat, fishing, eating a steak while camping or checking a steak on the grill when the thermapen isnt around, eating at the chinese restaurant where they supply plastic knives. seems i grew up when it was ok to have a knife, even wore one on my belt to school on days we had cub scout meetings. now i also started carrying a cell phone rescently, have actually made 5 or 6 calls on it in the 14 months ive owned it, still dont know the number and have to look at the card in the case if someone wants it. this i dont get, carrying an unneeded item in my pocket that needs constant attention, things always beeping that it needs charging etc. does come in handy as an alarm clock on weekends though, easier than winding my old one and setting the alarm
    fukahwee maine

• 2Fategghead
    I keep a knife on me most all the time. ;) I use it to cut the string on a bag of lump. Yesterday I bought a bail of straw to use as bedding for my neighbors dog so, I needed a knife to cut the twine. When I go to a knife fight I don't want to be empty handed. :pinch: Didn't you ever play chicken with knives? :evil: You know when two people stand in front of one another throwing their knife into the ground at the other persons foot! :woohoo:

The only thing carrying a knife won't help is going to a gun fight with a knife and that is debatable. ;)

Get a knife and put it in your pocket and sooner or later you will take it out and use it. One word of advice is to get a locking blade knife that way you MIGHT not cut yourself. :lol:
  • fishlessman
    some how ive cut my self with every new knife ive ever owned
    fukahwee maine

• Fidel
    You're talking about mumbly peg.

You can also play five finger fillet. Chevy Chase did that once on "Weekend Update" with blazing speed and precision while hopped up on coke.
  • 2Fategghead
    Fidel wrote:
    You're talking about mumbly peg.

You can also play five finger fillet. Chevy Chase did that once on "Weekend Update" with blazing speed and precision while hopped up on coke.

I forgot about five finger fillet but, for a good reason I think. If I remember correctly you go back to between the thumb and index finger every time. :unsure: It could be dangerous with out the coke but, at least you have a painless buzz. :evil:
  • 2Fategghead
    I still sharpen my knifes and then use the knife to shave the hair on my arm to see how sharp it is. Depending on how many knifes I sharpen when I get around to sharpening them one arm would be hairy and the other shaved from the wrist up. :woohoo:

A couple of years ago while at the state fair I visited a tent that the guys were setup to sharpen knifes using an $800. setup that had jigs...for all the knifes chisels...man! I found this setup to work wonderfully. A knife that has a hollow ground blade I feel is easy to sharpen by hand but, a blade without the hollow grind takes time to be sure you get the edge sharpened properly. I can't lie I do cut myself. :blush:
  • fishlessman
    i use and sharpen my cut throat razors, the flat wedge is the one i found the hardest to sharpen, takes the lightest touch on the stone, almost feathering it. my wedge razor is really old, mid 1800's.
    fukahwee maine

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    First Hunting knife Santa brought me was a Buck 119.I LOVED that thing!Got the 119 and a spankin new 742 Remington Woodsmaster 30-06 semi auto.Best I can remember,I was 9 or 10. ;) Had been shootin doves with a 20 guage double barrel that my Dad sawed the stock off on since I was 7.NO LIE! :) Dayum life was good back then!I remember actually hittin my first bird like it was yesterday.Killed 33 that mornin. :huh: Nobody told me to stop! ;)
  • Hoss
    How many Cokes did he drink? :laugh:
  • Hoss
    You GOTTA be kiddin???? :huh: