Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Weather Table Top? Ideas?

Options
Scooby's Eggin again!
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking to redo my Egg table top in the spring. I just used pine the first time and it is already weathering pretty bad. And I sealed it three times. Has anyone come up with top that weathers well in the winter? Tonight it is 22 degrees in southwest Michigan and falling. I do move it in and out of my back screened in porch. And there are about 3 step I have to go up and down in the spring and the fall. No room for the egg in the summer inside the porch. So I need to keep the weight down, if possible because of the steps. Any thought or ideas would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Rich

Comments

• boston_stoker
    Options
    I stained and sealed mine so it would not go grey, collect food stains, rot from snow sitting on it etc. I used two coats of this, which you can get at Home Depot. For what it's worth, it looks like the day I put it outside.

Several people use Helmsman Spar Urethene to seal it. Stain is a personal preference.

http://www.behr.com/dsm-ext/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=e9ba536658689110VgnVCM1000006f1010acRCRD&vgnextchannel=3f85f11390a59110VgnVCM1000006b0910acRCRD&vgnextfmt=default
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Granite. You'll have to suck it up on moving day, but the rest of the year nothing will come close to its performance.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    Cypress is great for outdoor use and spar uerethane works great. I live in Florida and my table holds up well in a SW facing sun and 24/7 outdoors. Just refinished after 3 years outside.
  • Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    Boston,
    Thanks! How long has it lasted outside in the weather? We do have a Home Depot close by
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    It has been out for a year so far. I really can't tell at all.
  • Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    Jeffinsgf,

I like the idea, but I do not know anything about granite. If it freezes and thaws will it crack? Where do you live? How long has the granite been in freezing conditions. I have had thought in this direction, but do not know anything about it. Please advise, and thanks for your advice!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    You can protect the egg and table with a vinyl cover.
    Some woods hold up better outdoors, less prone to decay. To name a few; teak ~ white oak ~ cypress ~ black locust ~ cedar ~ ipe ~ black walnut. All these woods turn silver grey in sunlight eventually. I like to use 'Watco Teak Oil' on outdoor furniture, a linseed oil based finish that will not flake or peel down the road. Try to stick with stainless or brass hardware fasteners (screws) if you can. 100 years from now future eggheads will be impressed with your -antique- table and egg. B)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I have a granite top.It cracked on 2 sides,in front and behind the egg.At the narrowest point between the edge and the cut out hole for the egg.This is just my opinion but before you drop big bucks,look at a nest and nesthandler.Super easy to move around or transport.All you need is a small side table.That's what I've gone to.Got a Weber kettle sittin in a thousand dollar Egg table. :ohmy: :S
  • stevesails
    Options
    I am in Southeast Michigan. I used cedar then stained it with a Sikkens Light, and 3 or 4 coats of Sikkens clear coat. It looks great! and holding up very well. It is left over from the boat and can be purchased at West marine.
    You might find it at a better hardware store also.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    Thanks Clay Q, I never thought the pine would last forever. But, I did think with 3 coats it would last longer than it did. I did just purchase some stainless steel hardware and shelving at Ikea in my area. The vinyl cover makes great sense to me, just never thought of it. Thanks for the ideas on the woods thats less prone to decay. I do want to keep the table, just because I Like all of the room to cook with. Great ideas! Thanks!
  • Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    Thanks Hoss,
    Your input has been taken in a strong way. I do not want to have the same problem you had. Thanks again for your input! It helped!

Rich
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    My granite table isn't an Egg holder, it's just a table. I have my two Eggs in nests that sit on either side of my granite table (with shelves underneath for gear). I agree with Hoss that mobile Eggs are better. Last night I was able to wheel my Egg out of the wind and to a spot on the patio where it was one step out the back door.
  • Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    I almost went with Cedar the first time around. But I thought the pine would last 3-4 years. Plus my thought was it is very soft, but maybe this will not make a difference? How long has it been? And does it still looks good?
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    Just to add...

I don't know if Hoss' experience has anything to do with a circle being cut from the granite, but mine has endured 2 brutal winters, gets red hot equipment set on it when it's ice cold, and bakes in the hot sun all summer long. One wipe with a wet paper towel and it looks like the wax shine on a show room Ferrari.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    If I had it to do over.I would have a granite top side table,smaller than my Egg table and put the Egg in the nest with handler.You are correct about the granite being durable as far as weather is concerned.I think my problems arose because of the hole cut out for the Egg.It is still very usable,just got a couple a hairline cracks in the top and is a brute to move.
  • Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    I have worked with epoxy before on some Kayaks I built. Very strong material for sure. Have you had good luck with it. I hear the sun breaks it down, at least the kind I have used? Maybe not the kind you have recommended? Please let me know, may work out with the correct wood? Sound like it is well worth looking into!

Thanks again
    Rich
  • Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    This makes total sense to me. Thanks for the ideas!
  • frogfrog
    Options
    Whether it's wood or granite, do y'all have a cover over it all or do you leave it exposed? If so, is the Egg uncovered too?
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    When I asked the granite guy about weathering, he asked me if I had been to a cemetery recently. My Eggs and my granite table are exposed to the elements all the time. My 12 year old Egg looks just like a brand new one.
  • Snork
    Snork Posts: 15
    Options
    Hey guys, just my opinion, but I like stainless for my table top. It polishes up, and isn't as heavy as granite. My table is from a restaurant supply store, and works great.
  • Snork
    Snork Posts: 15
    Options
    Hey guys, just my opinion, but I like stainless for my table top. It polishes up, and isn't as heavy as granite. My table is from a restaurant supply store, and works great.