Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best companion for my XL? Medium or small?

Options
frogfrog
frogfrog Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I used to have a large. For Christmas, my dad "surprise" upgraded me for free to an XL.

For the record, loved large and love the XL.

Here's the deal: I entertain from time to time (probably fine with a large, but love the extra space and ability to do the monster cooks). Im about to do a table and talked to my dealer. If I return my XL nest, shelves, and cover, he'll give me the small for $200 or the medium for $300.

I plan to use it for the smaller family cooks (fam of 4 with possible future addition(s)) and also have the ability to do two different smokes for parties. I don't plan to tailgate or camp with it.

For the price, what do y'all recommend? Both are in budget.

Thanks for letting me beat the dead horse some more.

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    I started with an XL then added a small and later a mini. Our small sees a lot of cooks followed by the mini and then the XL. but we are mostly cookin for two. cookin for four and maybe more, I think I would go for the medium.
  • stevesails
    Options
    Well, I only have an xl and often if not always just cook for 3 or 4. I like the use of the big grill. put lots of stuff on it.
    But, I would love to have a small for cooking for 1 or 2 people. or figuring out a way to make it somewhat portable to take tailgating. (my son is determined to be a U of M wolverine. and in the Marching band)
    I think the small would be perfect and at $200 I would go for it.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Garnerac
    Garnerac Posts: 134
    Options
  • XLGrEGGer
    Options
    I have the XL and decided to stay with it after talking with Tom at the cermaicgrillstore.com (I think?). He has several options to help you make the XL a one stop shop (lump reducer).

Check it out. It may just change your mind about the XL. It changed mine and I love it!
  • frogfrog
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I love love love my XL. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

I just am on the verge of building a table and have an opportunity to buy a 2nd one cheap to include in the permanent set-up.

I'm leaning XL/M combo. Any other thoughts/advice??

Thanks again guys/gals...
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I have the XL-MED combo and I love it. I like using the MED when it's just the wife and me. I also like the larger grid space the MED offers over the SML. If you are use to the larger grid space the XL has to offer I think you'll be happier with the MED. I have a few pieces from the Ceramic Grill store for the XL and use the lump reducing ring for the XL in the MED as a WOO ring. It brings the grid up to the felt line for easier flipping of burgers.

The cost difference you are looking at is $100.00. For that little extra cost go for the bigger model. If portability is not an issue I say go for the MED.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Tables are USELESS!Get the Nest and Nesthandler.Tables and gaskets are wasted money. ;)
  • frogfrog
    Options
    My wife is having a table made for Christmas with drawers and cabinets. It's partly a gift for her so my stuff is not sitting on the deck all of the time. Should be a nice one.
  • Ozarkshooter
    Options
    I have an XL and Medium (had Medium first).

I don't understand using family size to determine the size of egg. To me, I choose the egg that fits the meal being cooked. Grilling direct or for large portions of meat - use the XL. Grilling smaller meats, cheeses or side dishes - use the Medium. I have a family of four and use the XL 90% of the time. I personally don't think the XL uses all that much more lump, because once you are done, you shut her down.

So, look at what you cook, then decide between the Medium and Small. For example, I don't think you could fit a decent sized pizza on a small. Sure, it could be done, but you will have more room on a Med.

But, if you travel and want the second egg to be portable - go with the small. But, since you are thinking of putting it in a table, it doesn't sound like travelling with the egg is in your plans.

Good luck.
  • vohsmk
    vohsmk Posts: 40
    Options
    We have an XL and our second egg (a medium) was delivered just today. I cannot believe we are now a two egg family. I was torn between the small and the medium and settled on the medium because the small felt just too small. The medium is just right! :silly:
  • frogfrog
    Options
    I've seen a lot of recommendations for the small, but most seem to like it for its portability (camping, etc.).

I saw one post that said the small outperforms the medium -- any truth to this?

Thanks for all the replies.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I have kept quiet as I dont have an XL to compare, so it would be hard for me to say what is best to compliment it, but I do have the others.

To answer your question, the only thing my small outperforms my medium on is lump usage, the medium beats it for everything else. My small has airflow issues, the diameter of the firebox and firering are narrower than they are in my medium, so my medium is the heat champion there (better airflow through the lump instead of around it). The small gets used the most however, and that is mainly because I had the medium before the small, and I learned how to work around the issue that my small egg has. I love my small egg, but if I were to choose one again, I might be tempted to get the medium over the small. I dont care about portability, I have a bubba keg for that. Good luck, I am sure you will like either of them.
  • frogfrog
    Options
    Thanks to all. I think I'm going with the medium.

I'll post pics of the table when its done.

Thanks again.