Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beans Beans make me smart ...

Options
EggNorth
EggNorth Posts: 1,535
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally using my new BGE Dutch Oven (DO) with a try at beans.

The recipe: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/boston-baked-beans/Detail.aspx

Soaked over night (Navy Beans) and simmered for 2 hours - then placed in BGE DO.

Beans_01.jpg

With the liquid:
Beans_02.jpg

On the Egg and 300F and ready to go!
Beans_03.jpg

All ready - 5 Hrs later - added some water a few times.

Beans_05.jpg

very happy with my BGE DO investment, these were very good. Next time I would even cook another hour and a little more water.

Does anyone know the ending to my subject? :laugh:
Dave
Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Farts! Give me them beans and a carburetor and I will go places. :woohoo:

EggNorth, I see many many great cooks coming form your nice CIDO. ;)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Dave,

I heard they were good for your heart ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i heard they're a magical fruit that makes you toot. i ate alot of beans and they never made me smart :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Fishlessman,

Another thing I have never had any luck with :( . Love beans but family doesn't. Made some awesome pea soup after Christmas with three ham bones.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    Options
    if you like the sweeter style boston baked you need a bean pot, the right beans, and you need to figure out how to soak them with the water your working with, i do different things with the water at home that i do from the water from the sandbar at camp.

0b490e70.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Options
    I have a couple of bean pots. MIL makes awesome ones but I always screw them up. Maybe I should order a Boston bean pot B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Beans, Beans, makes me even more inclined to get the ham bone and do another batch of pinto beans. I've been thinking of that for a couple of months.

Wonderful Boston baked beans you did.
  • RedBag
    RedBag Posts: 72
    Options
    I just got a pot from the pot shop after seeing many of your posts through the years. I used the recipe that came with the pot, used navy beans. They were not very good. Any tips?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    heres my recipe, the red beans become part of the sauce, the yellows will be soft and flavorful, the kidneys add some added texture. i grew up eating yellow eyes, i think each family up here has there own preference as you go north of boston. you can sub in great northerns but they dont have the same flavor as the yellow eyes. sometimes they need more water, sometimes i remove some at the end and boil it down to condense it and add a little molasses, added extra dry mustard doesnt hurt either. when ive had homemade beans that i didnt like its usually because not enough flavors were addeed

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=193773&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Options
    Ahhh!

You do the cold soak and the hot soak! I think MIL does that too. Is that because of hard water?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    Options
    not sure, the sebago water in the sandbar is soft, makes good beans but does need a jump start with atleast an overnight soak, my house has city water which i think is soft, might be the chemicals they add, beans need a long soak and the simmer first.
    fukahwee maine

• RedBag
    RedBag Posts: 72
    Options
    Thanks. I thought the recipe that came with the pot was strange. No brown sugar for one thing. I’ll give this a try.