Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Speaking of Meatloaf (its in the Broken Firebox Club thread)

Options
Smoked Signals
Smoked Signals Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did you like the egged meatloaf? I made one last night and was not that impressed. Yes the meat was tender and moist, but I can get that out of the oven using a Rosengarten/Dean and Deluca recipe. [p]I'm committing a major violation but here goes ... "I like oven meatloaf better then egged meatloaf." There I've said it and I feel better. I got a nice smoke ring but the smoke overpowers the other subtle flavors of meatloaf. I only smoked it for 15-20 minutes of the 65 minutes in the egg. Anyway ... what are other peoples thoughts?[p]ps - my kids just covered it in ketchup anyway :-([p]Doug

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]You...you are a brave man!![p]Tell me more about the Rosengarten / D&D Recipe!![p]Where might I find?[p]Chubby
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    do you do yours in a pan? or directly on the grill indirect?. .. the spawn does her's directly on the grid over inverted plate setter with some jack daniels chips or chunk of hickory. . .gets a great grilled taste, like the difference between doing a burger on the egg vs. doing a burger indoors. . .no comparison. . .just my humble opions. ..give it another chance!!

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I would agree here whole-heartedly. You have to work a little to get the moisture content right for on the grid vs. in a pan, but the one we had last thursday night was to die for. [p]I believe eggsellent even has a picture she could post if she isn't too busy watching oprah and eating bon-bons.[p](ducking after the married with children reference).
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Alum. foil formed into a pan. Indirect 350. Used Oak chips and only had smoke for about 15 minutes ... then just wisps of smoke. Smoke ring was about just about 1/4" thick - but only on top.[p]Burgers on egg vs pan - I would agree - egg wins hands down. But that is a direct flame with just a hint of smoke due to high heat. I do them more like a TRex style.[p]
    We might try it again .. but not for a while. My wife wants me to drain the grease (er fluids) about 1/2 way though as well.[p]Doug

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Chubby,
    Its in the a cook book that Rosengarten co-authored with D & D. My wife and I loved his show TASTE ... too bad he doesn't cook on FoodTV anymore. I liked the history less on and his high brow attitude in his show.[p]Anyway ... Its a very moist and tender meatloaf ... we love it. I will try to scan it at work tomorrow and email it to ya ... is your email current?

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Smoked Signals, I just gotta wade in on this one...it so happens I fixed and egged a terrific meatloaf last night following the recipe posted last May - see below. Man that was gooood stuff! Instead of a final coating of Montreal Steak seasoning I dusted all 4 sides of the loaf and both ends too with a favorite rub. I used cherry for smoke. The other thing that makes a world of difference is I use one of those wire mesh meat loaf baskets so it gets smoked through out.

[ul][li]a terrific meatloaf recipe[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    gotcha on the burger analogy. . .we just put the loafs on the grid for about 1 1/4 hours at 350 dome temp. ..no grease problem, cause it runs right off the meat anyway with no pan involved. . .just the right smoke flavor for us.. . and its still plenty moist. .. i don't know what's in your recipe, but spawn's is pretty basic: onion, italian bread crumbs, couple of eggs. . .that's it. . .[p]wonder if more complicated set of ingredients makes a big difference to how it turns out from oven to egg??

• Smoked Signals,
    This is one I did some time back and posted that is my favorite, I would rather have it than a plain one anytime (but then, I'm hooked on lottsa flavors). Also you may just be not liking the smoke, in which case just don’t put smoking wood in there. [p]transpic3.jpg

[ul][li]meat loaf[/ul]
  • Eggsellent
    Options
    640Dsc00334.jpg
    <p />Mark Backer,
    This is the picture of our final meatloaf after a couple different tries (and the thermapen just for show).[p]We didn't like our first meatloaf at all. We did it in a meatloaf pan and it was soggy, greasy, etc. Ours too was covered in ketchup so we could eat it.[p]The second one we did had a great smoke ring and great flavor, but it was too dry.[p]The third one was great, but I decided to change one ingredient and this is what I came up with (kids love it cuz it has velvetta cheese chunks - yum)!...[p]1lb. ground beef (80/20 is best)
    3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 egg
    1/2 cup milk
    6oz. velvetta cubed
    @ 1/4 envelope dry Au Jus gravy powder[p]Mix the first 6 ingredients and shape into a loaf. Sprinkle all sides with the Au Jus powder.
    Stablize egg @ 350 with inverted plate setter.
    Put loaf directly on grid (not in a loaf pan or anything else)
    Cook for about 1 hour or until internal temp reaches your desired doneness.[p]We LOVED it (including our 2 year old).[p]Try it again (after the family has had time to recover).

• Eggsellent
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    OH - I don't put any chips in at all. The smoke from the natural egg is just right. IMHO

• tenntom
    tenntom Posts: 57
    Options
    Chet,
    I didn't know you were a meatloaf coniesuerr(spelling). Recipe looks good.
    Tenntom

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    Velvetta? Wow that's the first time I've heard that one. [p]I type in the stuff for our Rosengarten/ Dean & Deluca meatloaf and let the collective big green egg brain ponder if it was the ingreadients or the egg or the smoke or what.[p]Look for the meat loaf posting later tonight.
    Doug[p]so far it looks like it turns out best if it is out of a pan. Step one in correcting my meatloaf.[p][p]

• Mark Backer
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]When considering cheese, don't overlook america's step cheese, the wonderful and magical blend of colby, swiss and cheddar:[p]VELVEETA!![p]And don't confuse it with cheez whiz either, cuz it's not the same at all...
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    As others below I also use an inverted plate setter,drip pan and the loaf directly on the grid. I make my meatloaf the day before and let it set up in a loaf pan lined w/wax paper so that I can remove it without too much trouble. I will brush it with either a tomato sauce or Q sauce toward the end of the cook. Meatloaf cooked it the egg is great IMHO Do what works best for you and yours.
    Good Luck,
    New Bob

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Mark Backer, IS Velveeta really cheese, or is it kinda like Kool-Whip.

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    sigmore,[p]Speaking of Kool-Whip. Have you ever tried that Rootbeer Float recipe on the tub with frozen Kool-Whip? I used to make these all the time. I like the taste of this float better than real ones. Wow...we OT'ed this thread real good![p]Steve-B
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    sigmore,[p]No, it really is cheese. It's colby, swiss and cheddar.
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Steve-B,What do you mean, OT. Started it up on the main course, and now we are in the dessert section. That sounds right on track to me.;>)

• New Bob, when I did the one I posted below, I shaped it in on a board and sorta tilted it over and let it fall onto the screen...as you might guess there had to be a better way. And that better way as usual turned out to be a common techique we all should know about already. Form and shape your loaf in a cassarole that is the approximate hieght (thickness) you want the meat load to be, then spray your fish grid with pam and cover the cassarole, lift and flip it over.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]Here's my recipe. I do it just like in my oven, but using the cherry wood infuses it with an incredible smoke flavor, throughout the meat. [p]Unlike most of the other replies, I do NOT do mine directly on the grate, but allow it to cook in a traditional loaf pan. When it's done, I remove it from the pan and put it on a rack to allow some of the grease that has accumulated to drain, as well as allowing the meat to rest, just like you do a roast. After 10-15 minutes, I slice and serve it up.[p]I don't have a pic to show you, but usually end up with a pretty significant smoke ring, around 3 sides of the loaf (all except the bottom), since as the meat cooks, it pulls away from the sides somewhat. [p]Hope this helps,
    Tonia
    :~)[p]

[ul][li]Cherry Smoked Meatloaf[/ul]
  • CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    I read most of the posts before this one and didn't see this approach so here is my 2 cents worth. I start the loaf in a pan over direct grid. About half way through the cook, the loaf will be firm enough to hold together. I turn it out upside down on the grid to finish the cook out of the pan. I go easy on the smoke chips and have had excellent results.
    Dave

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]Yes...my email's current!! [p]I have a bunch of his monthly newsletters, I'll send them to you if you're interested. They are interesting at the least!![p]Chubby[p]PS...are you in Indiana?
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Marine Cook
    Options
    ml3.JPG
    <p />Smoked Signals,[p]Did Nikkig & Boccies' Sunday with cherry wood for smoke. We loved it very moist. I sprayed a 12" pizza screen w/ pam and put the loaf on it and then put a drip pan w/ water directly on the grid with a small grid on top and then the screen on that. Cooked at 325 - 350 until it hit 167 and pyulled it. Rested for 15 minutes and sliced.
    [ul][li]Nikkig & Boccie's Meatloaf[/ul]
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Marine Cook,[p]I don't see cheese in the recipe, yet the meatloaf looks like it's got cheese mixed in with it. Does it? [p]Either way, I'm gonna have to try that. It looks awesome. If you have leftovers, can you mail me a slice?
  • Marine Cook
    Options
    Hey Mark,[p]No cheese but that would be a great addition. Sorry I've got the last end piece in the frige here at the office. You know the end is always the best. Sorry.[p]Semper Fi,[p]MC
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Marine Cook,[p]I love any leftovers for meatloaf sandwhiches. YUM!![p]Of course, you could put a piece of velveeta on it before you heat it for lunch. That would ROCK!!