Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak and Stake

Options
Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Cooked up a little 1 1/2" thick New York Strip tonight.

I heated the egg to 400º and was using mesquite chunks for smoke.
DSCN7460A_640.jpg

After giving it a light score I marinated it in granulated garlic, black pepper, Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce and McCormick's Meat Tenderizer for 35 minutes.
DSCN7444A_640.jpg

Started out with a total of 5 minutes per side.
DSCN7455A_640.jpg

Needed a bit more, this was after 11 1/2 minutes total and I pulled it and let it rest for a few.
DSCN7457A_640.jpg

Best steak I have had in a long time!
DSCN7473A_640.jpg

I'm happy there were 4 in that package. :cheer:
DSCN7465A_640.jpg

OK, now for the stake. Our good friend Julia (WWsis) found this stake on the side of the road way up in Vermont almost into Canada where she lives. She was kind enough to send it to me back during the holidays. I have been waiting for all the holiday traffic here on the forum to settle down before asking all you super smart people what you think this stake might be for????
Stake.gif

Have a great weekend All,

Blair

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    i know gator makes lathe chucks. what that looks like is some type of wedge for removing a morse taper drill but it doesnt look beat up enough
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gator Bait
    Options

You might be on to something there, I have a brother that was/is/and for ever shall be a machinist. I will have to ask him. Thanks.

Blair

• fishlessman
    Options
    fukahwee maine

• ranger ray
    Options
    is that a red rtv gasket??? rr..... glad somebody took my advice.... mine's been on for seven years... rr...
  • ranger ray
    Options
    cancel my last post... sorry... rr
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    My guess the stake is a wedge used in holding architectural concrete foundation forms together.

In a black and white Tarzan movie I saw what gator bait was; A child with a rope tied around his waist. :S The child swam out into gator infested water and splashed about,... I'd say boy was 6 or 7 years old. When a gator came to eat the boy a man on shore quickly pulled the child back to safety on shore with the gator in hot pursuit a foot away. The gator was then shot when in range. I saw this on tv so it's true.

Mighty nice steaks you grilled up, juicy! :cheer:
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Blair:

Standard offer, eh?

Maybe an Egyptian cooper chisel . . .
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Gator: That steak looks amazingly perfect!! My favorite beef steak cut there, and you certainly did it justice!!
    As for the stake...you got me there, but it is very cool, none the less! Nice of Julia to think of you! She is top notch! ;):)
    Are we going to be able to pick you up, and allow you to rest in comfort on the back seat of a car for the trip over to Sunshine State Eggfest?? Please?? Please??? :huh:
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    do tell more.

Interesting piece of iron. I brought home a tractor seat that has Dayton stamped on it from my grandfathers farm....only because I live in Dayton now :>)
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Clay

Your guess the stake is a wedge used in holding architectural concrete foundation forms together is interesting. I'm happy to say that I have no experience with concrete forms so as far as I know you could be right. ;)

Hahahaha, I'll have to look for that Tarzan movie, no hardship as I love the old black and whites. Yes, that is the gator bait I had in mind. Living down here next to the Big Swamp and not being able to run made me think it was appropriate, LOL. I have used it as an on line handle for years.

Thanks, I actually had juice left over, that was a plate licker. There were 4 in the package and they put a big snowy footprint in my budget but so far were well worth it. :)

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Yup, for you the standard offer still stands, "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today". :laugh:

Sorry, not copper. That would be very interesting if it was. Like after all the hard work the Egyptians did on the remote roads of Vermont! :lol:

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks LC, this was a great steak. I agree about Julia, I bet she has a whole V.A. Clinic full of veterans up there in northern Vermont in love with her.

I hate to say it again this year but the Sunshine State Eggfest is doubtful this year. That is all I am going to say, I don't want to jinx any chance I may be able to make it or the Mini Fest. There is always hope my friend, I would really love to get over there and meet all you great people. It's going to happen one of these days. I am just not sure when it will be.

Blair

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Blair,

Nice looking steak. Looks like a wedge from a taper chuck for a drill press from here.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Good morning! Thank you for the kind words :) I thought it was a railroad pin of some sort, but I did find it in the vicinity of a place up the road called anchor foundations, so that might be the answer...we also have railway and rail workers who live close-by and drive those trucks that are modified to drive on the track...hmmm...still a mystery. Your steak looks deliciosooooo!! :)
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hahaha, the scoring is something my Dad used to do. I have no idea where he picked it up but it is an old habit I got from him. When I was a kid we raised a few Black Angus (about 12) and Dad had plenty of practice cooking a great steak. My best guess is that it increases the surface area of the steak. It might hold more seasonings and marinade or it just it looks nice, I have probably seen Steak Houses do it but that doesn't answer why. I doubt that it has much effect on how the steak cooks. I know a few others here on the forum do it also, maybe one will tell us why they do it.

There are people that collect those old tractor seats. When i was a kid I knew one intimately! LOL. We had an old International Harvester tractor that had the metal seat and I plowed a lot of snow sitting on it. There was no cab on the old tractor and you just sat up there in the open and froze your butt off. I was happy when that old seat wore out and got replaced with a well padded piece of plywood. I bet your old tractor seat might have some interesting tales to tell if it could talk! . . . then maybe not. :laugh:

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Steven, that is the consensus I think. I am waiting to see what people think before I post an interesting idea my brother has. He said a similar thing about the chuck but had another idea that makes sense. I will post it later.

Blair

• Little Steven
    Options
    n

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Really nice looking steak Blair. Nice and juicy!
    Cool stake, very nice of Julia to send that.
    Happy day to you!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • fishlessman
    Options
    for killing vampire gators from outer space :laugh: i love really bad movies, that would be a good one :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Gator Bait
    Options

Morning Julia, That's interesting about the rail road and might be a clue to the answer. Thanks, the steak was delicious. Kind words come easily for a person who is as kind as you my friend. :)

Blair

• fishlessman
    Options
    thats what i think to, for removing the chuck from the drill, and the hole would be for tightening the chuck key when installing the bit
    fukahwee maine

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hi, Blair. The steak looks fantastic, just the way I like it. Stake is very cool. I hope you find out what it was used for.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Nice looking steak Blair
    The last shot is killer :)
    I am going with the concrete form pin :unsure:

Shane
  • Little Steven
    Options
    As you said it doesn't look battered enough but sure looks like one :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gator Bait
    Options

Hahahahahaha, I agree, crazy old SciFi moves are a great laugh. It is amazing some of the great actors you see in some of those old ones. Actors like Steve McQueen in The Blob, Raymond Burr in Godzilla and how about James Arness in Them! and The Thing From Another World, or Leslie Nielsen with a young Anne Francis in Forbidden Planet.

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Molly, the steak was what I wish all steaks would be. The other stake, your right, is a cool puzzle.

Keep warm my friend,

Blair

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Rather obscure piece of hardware that only someone in a business associated with this stake would be able to identify it seems. I have no experience with concrete. Looks like hardened steel and was hit with a hammer more than few times... slightly bent but the head is not deformed so I'm sticking with concrete form hardware. In this case a wedge that a pin receives to make a connection or joint.
    http://www.wallties.com/pins_and_wedges.htm

I grilled up two New York Strip Steaks last Thursday on my small egg and I think they are now my favorite over ribeye. But yours,... much better looking! :)
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Interesting site Clay, I have no experience with concrete forms either but that theory is gaining weight here. The New York Strip are a winner in my book, I think they can be as good as a ribeye (but not always) and are cheaper down here. This was a nice thick cut, I don't know if that was much of a factor or not.

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Morning Faith, Thanks, that was the first steak I have cooked in a little while and it was a treat to have one like that. The stake is for fun, I may never know for sure what it is exactly but that is the mystery about it and makes it cool.

Keep warm my friend,

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Shane, I agree, the last shot almost became my desktop image but I didn't want to be drooling all the time. LOL. Concrete form pin might be it.

Blair